Urban Rivals
?
Register            Already signed up to the game →  
Click here if you forgot your password.

Tournaments, Standard mode, what will happen?

Thursday 05/04/2012, 16:49
Euzebe - Legend English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
280 messages
Euzebe - Legend English - Thursday 05/04/2012, 16:49

Hello all,

After the (chaotic) release of the Standard mode and the first feedbacks, we have taken decisions on several things we want to let your know. We think you will be satisfied with the future improvements we will add first.

• Improvement of the quickbattle system in DTs.

We already made corrections, it seems that the small decks vs big decks problem is far less met. We will keep on working on it until the partition T1/T2 is not a problem any more.

• Penalties on some characters in DTs.

The first 2 points penalties per character are already operational and you can find the list here: http://www.urban-rivals.com/help/?category=9-0
Except for Leader, for the moment there are no penalized Standard characters. It may change, we give ourselves time to analyse DTs.

• DTs divided in two.

Finally we won’t alternate DT’s. We will let you have two DTs at the same time, 1 Standard, 1 Extended. With two different rankings.

• Length of a DT shorten but increase of its frequency.

DTs length will decrease from 1 hour to 45 minutes with a 15 minutes break between each tournament and then you can play again. It means there will be 24 Standard DTs and 24 Extended DTs per day.
To prevent abuses, a limitation of 8 DT credits per day and player will be added (you will receive all other rewards if you play more than 8 DTs).

Survivor Standard and Deathmatch Standard rooms.

They will be open soon, we are working on an update of the flash game.

Questions you may want to ask:

• The number of CR remain at 5. It might change in the future.
• A PM will be sent to you each evening if you made a top 150 during the day so as to inform you if you have won a collector (or not).
• The timer will be reduced from 60 to 50 seconds again.

Have fun
« Previous12...141516171819...2728Next »

161/280
Zoidberg1 - Legend - the courtyard of shadows English
Thursday 26/04/2012, 18:31

@Ghelas

I like your arguement but would say is thisreally a problem with the free stuff or is it more of the problem with the modes,

If we had good balanced modes you can put together a cheapish deck and compete, I did a spell of putting together T1 decks for around 5,000 to 10,000 clintz in the old formats these could compete and get me in the top 100 of the DT's I entered.

10,000 clintz is reasonably achievable over a period of time with the roulette mission prizes and selling off the cards you replace. With the new formats all of those cheap decks are now useless.

We never used to have the free credits for videos and there are several excellent members in my guild that have never spent any real money on the game, however I don't see how any players joining now can possibly get anywhere without spending alot of money, and I would question if someone starting now will enjoy the game enough to spend the money if you get beat every time you play by really expensive decks then what chance will you have?
162/280
ghelas - Titan - The Trend English
Friday 27/04/2012, 03:28

@ Zoidberg:

That's exactly the issue. The lack of free credits just makes the issues created by the recent string of changes more difficult to deal with, if you are a new player.

Putting together a competitive budget deck is harder than ever in any format. If new players could still use the videos to get credits, and thus have a shot at good cards, they could be competitive in the game in a matter of weeks. As it is now, it would certainly take months, and I can't imagine anyone sticking around for that long only to take countless beatings from cards that are irritatingly out of their reach.
163/280
wasteroftime - Moderator - Open Casket English
Friday 27/04/2012, 04:49

Free videos that popped up when you logged in only started a few months ago. They also became less common only a couple of months ago.

The spam new tabs and get more videos abuse also did not last very long... it never should have existed to begin with since 50 credits in a matter of a few minutes was excessive. During that time, i dont think i played any ELO or DTs for credits. There was no point playing for credits when one could just wait for the video(s) of the day and rake in credits. From personal experience, massive free credits killed my motivation to play.

I played this game for years (and im sure others have) grinding away credits through DTs and ELO. 20-30 credits a week was pretty normal income -- allowing me to get 1-2 packs a week. Always got NB packs and always hoped for scoring Rare and/or new cards to resell

The noobie advice of getting a DT deck first and building from there is still valid. 1 credit per DT played is not hard and can be done in 30 minutes of playing. 100 points was always enough, now it is a little bit higher but not by much. Playing ELO and staying above 1000 is the starting point for all aspiring players... not very difficult. Playing ELO to 1200 then 1300 are the next steps. This is more difficult for new players.

The easiest way to give new players a slight leg up is to give them a starting deck that is immediately DT playable and ELO playable, with no junk cards... Those theme decks they used to have would have done the job, but I don't think they were ever popular -- noobs should be given those types of decks from the start.

Best advice really to new people is to grind DTs... buy the minimum amount of credits they can afford asap just to unlock the market and then go from there.
164/280
TheDoomBug - Legend - Limit Break English
Friday 27/04/2012, 06:13

Grinding DTs is how I got as far as I did, so I mostly agree with you, waster, but not all new players are going to enjoy that. If they don't enjoy playing at the start, they have no motivation to keep playing or spend money. The primary flaw with the current system is that it either requires grinding (which some, but not all, people find rather boring) or paying. Telling your prospective new clients that if they want to compete they're going to have to invest money before they even start playing or grind through helpless battles against well-equiped veterans is going to turn some away. I would actually like to see those DT-ready decks being given to the new players, but I doubt the admins will ever go for that.

A note for new players: obtaining free credits from sponserpay or trialpay counts as buying them.
165/280
-DustStorm- - Titan - Open Casket English
Friday 27/04/2012, 10:00

@ghelas. My starter deck was Gary, Mort Bax, Zlatar, Mikki, Svelthena, Kharl, Cell, K Cube,
Leaders were not free, you had to get them from packs or off the market.
Missions didn't exist, slots didn't exist.
I have bought about 80 creds in my UR lifetime.
If i can build off that god forsaken starter, with minimal free stuff, i dont think you can say its getting harder for newbs.
166/280
wasteroftime - Moderator - Open Casket English
Friday 27/04/2012, 21:03

Grinding DTs = playing the game.
i dont see anything wrong with that

if the initial deck they get is DT playable and somewhat ELO competitive, then its a great start for any newbie

plus with mission rewards, Leaders (Hugo!!), occasional videos, sponsor and trial pay rewards.... the new player has a good start.

but yep i think stronger starting decks is definitely a way to prevent new people from getting discouraged from getting curb stomped all the time

but getting lots of stuff without having to actually play and without having to unlock the market would be too much imho
167/280
TheDoomBug - Legend - Limit Break English
Friday 27/04/2012, 22:25

DTs are a part of the game, but it gives new players little reason to try ELO, DM, or survivor. Why bother with those modes if they don't profit you as much as a DT and you have to deal with cards that are way out of your reach? Make a low-star deck, play several DTs a day, and do nothing else, that is what I meant by "grinding." I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just trying to clarify my prior post.

Also, yes, giving new players too much wouldn't be profitable and would annoy older players. It's all about balance.
168/280
URHunter - Titan English
Friday 27/04/2012, 23:04

How about some "sandbox" mode where there are level caps (and huge restrictions, Cr are automatically banned, restricted to 1 "money" card and a cap on total value of the other 7 cards - to prevent abuse of Jackie Cr + Vicky Cr etc), have a tourny in the sandbox room every 6 hours (so noobs can get some clintz for coming top and 1 credit for their effort)
169/280
Creeksider - Titan - TetraMaster Guild English
Friday 27/04/2012, 23:33

Oh good, I thought, a new collector today - play a few games get mission started etc - loaded an old favourite 21 star deck - just lost to 2 19* hands in row.

There really is no enjoyment in playing this game, whilst it is like this.

They have had 3 weeks to fix this - or to return it to the old and trusted set up. Why has this not happened?
170/280
Creeksider - Titan - TetraMaster Guild English
Saturday 28/04/2012, 00:03

We are still working of the various values but no one should ever face a 40* deck vs a 20* deck, it's mathematically impossible

So am I better reducing my star count from 21 to 20? And as my last post (if it ever gets pass the sensors and I didn't swear even though I really really feel like it) says - I keep meeting 19* hands so I am guessing they have 36-39* decks - therefore getting around this. Wouldn't surprise me that a 2.125* average is rounded up to 3* and 4.875* average is rounded down to 4* - usual UR maths

« Previous12...141516171819...2728Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals