Mono-Pira in ELO: is it even viable?

Tuesday 17/07/2012, 15:07
lcklck - Veteran Русский

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
8 messages
lcklck - Veteran Русский - Tuesday 17/07/2012, 15:07

Well, first of all, I'm a huge Piranas fan (that flavor, oh my), so my natural intent is to always try and force Piranas decks where I can. Now, I haven't been around for a while and well... things seem to have changed quite a bit.

Is it just me, or mono-Pira is pretty dead right now in ELO? Without Ulrich around the clan has no DR, and sticking a random Spiaghi or something of that nature doesn't quite solve the problem cuz it really hurts your Support mechanics. And if you don't play Support cards why even go mono in the first place?
Deckbuilding in general seems to have evolved drastically (no surprise here), and there are a lot more cards which just overwhelm you with sheer power, making someone like Scubb or Katan look pretty meh. Even Tula, which I always had a soft spot in my heart for, seems to stumble much more often than I'd like to see. SOA-type effects (and now also that Copy opp. Bonus thing) render half of Piranas useless, and there seem to be a ton nowadays.
Back in my day (lol feels weird to say that) I would be pretty happy with Piranas on a week like this, with no GHEIST/Montana bans whatsoever, but now even those seem to kick my arse. The only matchup that feels reasonably safe still is Rescue, but that's an obvious one.

Any thoughts?
I can see coming a number of comments like "ubad, learn to play", and you know what, that might very well be the case. But still, any tips on where mono-Pira belongs right now are very appreciated.

2/8
UM_AaaBattery - Moderator - URBAN MADNESS English
Tuesday 17/07/2012, 17:46

I still find them ok. Selma, Raeth, Hawkins, Taljion, Ector, Puff, Baba and Tyd is a good deck.
3/8
amethal - Hero - ONE WORLD English
Tuesday 17/07/2012, 21:22

Not a huge Elo player here, but clearly, they seem less popular regardless of how viable they are. You don't encounter them as often as "back in the day"
4/8
subclavianHoA - Imperator - Harbingers of Ares English
Wednesday 18/07/2012, 08:28

I think the fall of the Piranas has less to do with ulrich's ban than with the meta shifting against them. It seems like every clan has a good ability SOA nowadays, new "copy opponent bonus" abilities are quite damaging to SOB clans, and popular clans pirana used to pwn (like AS and GHEIST) are getting less popular now, while the clans Piranas have trouble dealing with like Sentinel and Jungo have become more dominant.

Also, since the weakening of the SOA clans, elo has been trending toward more and more powerful abilities in general, I think.
5/8
ghelas - Titan - The Trend English
Wednesday 18/07/2012, 16:26

Yeah, I think Subclavian pretty much covered it. The Piranas' shtick is pill manipulation... But their damage has become completely outdated. They still work great as a SoB clan with some solid/high power and a bit of attack manip, and they can still win 3 rounds against a clan that heavily relies on an attack manip bonus. But that hardly matters anymore. The damage on cards like Hawkins, Scubb, Katan, and even Dalhia means that it can be pretty safe for a well-rounded deck to just ignore them. A Piranas player has to take a big risk in deciding whether their opponent is going to bother defending against a pill manip card or not. And on top of that, the lack of DR does hurt them.

They're still not exactly a weak clan, but they don't seem nearly as threatening as they used to be.
6/8
lcklck - Veteran Русский
Wednesday 18/07/2012, 20:36

Well, that's pretty much what I was thinking myself. Thanks everyone for stopping by.

And for that matter, are there any notable applications of Piranas in duo these days? I used to toy around with Pira/GHEIST a bit for some sweet lockdown opportunities, but right now that type of strategy does not seem all that appealing. Any 8/x makes a joke out of these tiny all-stoppers. And "real" decks (i.e. the above-mentioned Sentinel) got 8 power for days.
Piranas/Skillz seems somewhat decent to me, though. Can't think of exact list just yet, have to look into the newer cards. Has anyone had any succes with this combo?
7/8
lcklck - Veteran Русский
Wednesday 18/07/2012, 22:22

Um... Yeah. A look through the list of topics revealed that there's a whole discussion for that lastquestion right next to this subject. Oh well.
8/8
ghelas - Titan - The Trend English
Thursday 19/07/2012, 00:04

Freaks/Piranas is a fun little combo, because you can have pill manip on top of pill manip. If your opponent reads your opener wrong, it might mean they're out of the game right away. It's easy to confound your opponent when 3 out of your 4 cards all have pill manip on them.

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals