Urban Gameplay School #1 Bluff
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 16:42
Fraggle - Admin English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
84 messages
Urban Gameplay School #1 Bluff
Fraggle - Admin - Clint StaffEnglish - Wednesday 26/12/2007, 16:42

Hello everyone,

What do you think of trying to describe some basic gameplay element to newcomers.
I'm thinking "bluff", "thinking in 2 or 3 rounds instead of 4", "the fury", "why using at least 1 pillz matter".. feel free to create some subjects if you think of others things.

So let's start with lesson #1: bluff

In theory, a bluff is trying to make your opponent believe you are gonna play the obvious way but instead you play offbeat.
In Urban Rivals, it can apply in thoses example situations:

Round 1, you start, you have Sheitane in your hand. Sheitane can be very dangerous if she win early in the game as she might be able to deal 9 "unstoppables" damages over the battle. So if you play her without any pillz, your opponent will have almost no choice but to defend himself, either using a stop power, or a few pillz. Meaning you get either one stop power to worry about or a nice pillz advantage for the next round

Any round, you have Kenny, his +3 life per damage is very very frightening. So same rules apply as for Sheitane (obviously, don't sacrifice Kenny if you NEED him to win ).

Any round, you have a +attack character, good for you! On a round where no one spend any pillz, you will most certainly get a win otherwise, a nice pillz advantage

Any round, you have a "blocker" character (someone with -damage), while you opponent will most certainly believe you are using him for his defensive ability, ATTACK (with few pillz)!
« Previous123456789Next »

2/84
Force Majeure - Moderator - Open Casket English
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 16:49

Sure..this is a very nice thread Fraggle..

a bluff usually works if you put out your "big" card or a "strong" card with either a single pill or no pill at all and leave your weaker card/s in the bench to finish off the job if your opponent takes the bait and wastes his/her pillz..

and..your opponent is likely to take the bait if the card you put out is likely to "finish" him off..so keep it in mind..but also..you must take note that bluffs don't always work, and you must not make it look very obvious, coz there are times wherein it is not appropriate to use bluffs or put just one pill if your life points are seriously in danger..in during times..my best advice would be.."to defend / block".
3/84
Tanto89 - Titan - X. LycurguS .X English
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 16:50

I think something wrong.. kenny is +2 life per damage not +3..
4/84
Fraggle - Admin - Clint Staff English
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 16:51

Yep sorry, my mistake.
5/84
Anger_HM - Hero - Hueco Mundo English
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 16:52

Anyway..i hope there is more school..
6/84
Force Majeure - Moderator - Open Casket English
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 16:58

Also..some defensive cards..such as "Uranus" or others..(specially if they do not have bonus)..can be used to bluff your opponent..you can put him out with pillz plus oftentimes, a "fury" if needed, to finish off your opponent when he least expects it..because really..it is very unexpected..just don't forget to count your pillz first or measure the situation..or else it might just go to waste..

Bluff Deck..so..what is a bluff deck? it is an archetype deck composed mainly of cards wherein you can use most of them to just bluff or really attack..it is a deck that can either make your opponent think you're just bluffing an attack or you're really using the cards to attack..a good example is this deck:

Kenny
Sheitane
Hel
Nistarok
Splata Cr
Wolfgang
Soushee
Miss Ming lvl1

*take note that with these cards..most of them can be used to either attack or bluff..Freaks can give them poison..Kenny can make the difference, Sheitane and Hel can inflict Life Steal or Poison, Wolfgang can attack or defend or even poison, etc..so it'll keep your opponent guessing..the thing is..you just have to know when to use bluffs and when not to..
7/84
worldpad - Senior English
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 20:11

Its also really easy to bluff when your opponent has a damage reducer. you just play your strongest card with one or two pills and they fall for it
8/84
DerMagus - Legend - Tequila Sunrise- UR Deutsch
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 21:00

Attention though, do not overestimate Poison. More experienced players might well decide to just say "oh well... this is a battle with a KO anyway" (if they see many high damage cards), just play one pill on a medium-to-lowly good card and shrug it off (see other guide as well). Sometimes the off-beat action is not clearly visible and counterintuitive. Especially poison can be something that really does not count for much and every player has to weigh the options it takes and creates for both players.

Special hint: Those -damage characters can actually attack and some have nice damage. I bet many people look startled if your Gina Glitt with 5 pillz suddenly deals 8 damage (rare situation) but Marina, for example, is a quite adept damage dealer.
9/84
PanzerElement - Veteran English
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 22:56

I'd bet a lot more people underestimate it, actually. In my experience with playing Nightmare, I've found that Sheitane is a half assed bluff card at best. Kenny tends to work a lot better.
10/84
ibtd - Titan - Die Frettchen English
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 23:51

Sheitane is unmatched when it comes to bluffing and irritating the opponent. Kenny is quite good too, but Sheitane puts pressure on the opponent right away. Even, or especially if he has to play first. Kenny isn't nearly as scary when the opponent still has all pillz, but Sheitane is. It's not uncommon to spend 7 pillz (7 because 6 pillz on a 6 power char are not enough when facing another 6 power char) on Sheitane to get her 7 damage in and then using the last 5 pillz on some other character with enough punch to create a huge enough life difference (preferably life leecher like Kenny or Ielena).

Oh, the one reason why Sheitane is so much better than Kenny as a bluffing card is that she completely avoids damage reducer. Kenny has trouble with those, especially the ones that reduce to a minimum of 1.

My current favourite is to play Sheitane and Kenny combined with Charlie (another great bluff card) and Yayoi:

Here is a Nightmare/Pussycats ELO deck that has quite a few tricks:

Ielena 5*
Kenny 4*
Dieter 3*
Sheitane 2*
Charlie 5*
Yayoi 4*
Gwen 1*
Svelthlana 1*

Even Svelthlana can unexpectedly take out big damage dealer with her ability. Many opponents tend to overlook lvl 1 cards that only deal 1 damage and that have to be bought again after a few matches. And I guess you could use Nistarok over Ielena, but Ielena has more potential with the Pussycats as backup imho.

@Fraggle: Kenny is only +2 life per damage and Sheitane is only 7 damage on the first turn and not 9.

« Previous123456789Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals