Urban Gameplay School #1 Bluff
Wednesday 26/12/2007, 16:42
Fraggle - Admin English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
84 messages
Urban Gameplay School #1 Bluff
Fraggle - Admin - Clint StaffEnglish - Wednesday 26/12/2007, 16:42

Hello everyone,

What do you think of trying to describe some basic gameplay element to newcomers.
I'm thinking "bluff", "thinking in 2 or 3 rounds instead of 4", "the fury", "why using at least 1 pillz matter".. feel free to create some subjects if you think of others things.

So let's start with lesson #1: bluff

In theory, a bluff is trying to make your opponent believe you are gonna play the obvious way but instead you play offbeat.
In Urban Rivals, it can apply in thoses example situations:

Round 1, you start, you have Sheitane in your hand. Sheitane can be very dangerous if she win early in the game as she might be able to deal 9 "unstoppables" damages over the battle. So if you play her without any pillz, your opponent will have almost no choice but to defend himself, either using a stop power, or a few pillz. Meaning you get either one stop power to worry about or a nice pillz advantage for the next round

Any round, you have Kenny, his +3 life per damage is very very frightening. So same rules apply as for Sheitane (obviously, don't sacrifice Kenny if you NEED him to win ).

Any round, you have a +attack character, good for you! On a round where no one spend any pillz, you will most certainly get a win otherwise, a nice pillz advantage

Any round, you have a "blocker" character (someone with -damage), while you opponent will most certainly believe you are using him for his defensive ability, ATTACK (with few pillz)!
« Previous123456789Next »

31/84
Straw I-Iats - Senior - Union Shinigami Espada English
Monday 27/10/2008, 03:54

Bluff? hmmm guess your enemy might now that your bluffing and just let it through but with a card with bonus or abillity to -damage so he would live that attack and strike back thats the best way to avoid getting K.O by a card with high damage and just retaliate...
32/84
HK_Aniki - Guru English
Sunday 16/11/2008, 00:15

I used this kinda strategy in a tournament
helped me win against a lvl 35
i basically bluffed with Kang @lvl 3 and then i won by using Alexei after robb and Zdrone 2 finish
33/84
UFC_Slaugh - Senior English
Monday 17/11/2008, 05:06

Kolos can also be use as a bluff card hard to predict
34/84
Red River - Veteran English
Tuesday 18/11/2008, 17:23

Another thing is against SOAs, imagine this scenario, you play Piranas (I do) and you're starting first, in the second round you got two pill manipulators and one other (lets say Katan, Scubb and Spycee), the opponent puts up an SOA card, hoping your pill manipulators would avoid it, leaving them for the 3/4 round, where only 1's ability would come into effect. Common sense tells you the SOA would have few pills, as the opponent expects you to let it through with Spycee, so instead you put Katan with 3-4 pills and wham! six damage. (Even though you did not get 2 pills back, half of your opponent's life is gone:kawaii Works best against ok powered low damage SOAs, even though sometimes it applies to monsters like Jackie and Hawk, and believe me there are times when I wished I had tried this, but instead chickened out and watched in dismay as their 2 pilled Jackie did 6 damage. So the moral of the story is take risks!
35/84
Dinx - Master - Malaysian PRIDE squad English
Thursday 20/11/2008, 14:19

Yea yae wat ever...
36/84
spakes - Veteran English
Sunday 30/11/2008, 14:11

I usually bluff on high power cards with courage like Elly Mae and Emma since the opponent would think I play them offensively. But in the end, I gain pillz advantage over the opp. + damage received was reduced by 2. Of course, as they say previously, dont play bluff on high powered cards if you dont have other cards to finish off the game.
37/84
kalor_alros - Master - West Coast Pirates English
Thursday 04/12/2008, 22:16

This is an awesome thread... I'm still working on getting the hang of bluffing down to a science rather than a hope, wing, and prayer

Is there any good indication that an opponent may be bluffing? That's something I've fallen for and lost from a few times, and I know as I get better at bluffing I will be able to see it easier... but what do you guys look for when to try to detect a bluff?
38/84
Oneiroi - Senior - Official PoxNora Guild English
Thursday 04/12/2008, 22:39

There is no good way to tell if someone is bluffing, but the normal ways are:
if they play a card fast, they probably didn't have a lot of time to decide how many pillz to put on it, which means either a lot or not many
if they take their time playing a card, go with your gut, depending on the type of card they played, the cards they have one the field, and the cards you have out. if they play a high damager and all their other cards are damage reducers, and you don't have any good damagers or damage reduction, they may be pilling all on that one cards, depending
but i habitually multi-task, and have trouble making up my mind. i also wait a bit sometimes then play a card to try and get misinterpreted, when time isn't an issue
so there is never a *good* way to tell.
39/84
ReadTheRules - Legend English
Thursday 04/12/2008, 23:15

Kolos is the best bluffer when they have nothing to stop it!
try not to play one card a certain way all the time. ex: Kolos without 9 pillz plus fury all the time
poison makes a great bluff most of the time (especially with the 8 power cards; Olga cassadra and Splata Cr)
40/84
kalor_alros - Master - West Coast Pirates English
Friday 05/12/2008, 10:12

What do people think about bluffing with life steal cards, such as Mojo, as a general rule? I know I've used him to great effect in the past, but I'm curious as to how solid of a strategy that is as a general rule.

Also, one other I've tried to avoid, when possible, since it's spendy... but what about the reverse, bluffing with low power cards, and using fury? Obviously if it ends the match, it's worked... but as a general rule?

« Previous123456789Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals