offline Euzebe Colossus Open Casket
Friday 10/09/2010, 12:06

As his men seem incapable of annihilating the Clint City clans, the Vortex’s merciless emperor, Dregn has decided to leave his fortress and come to Clint City in person.  At his side is Galen, the Vortex’s unflappable engineer, who has sprung into action to strengthen the link between Clint City and the future. Meanwhile, unaware of Dregn’s imminent arrival, the Freaks present their new star attraction, Magda, the Roller Ball champion, and Jiro joins forces with the Junkz to party the nights away.
Get these characters in the shop’s packs

offline Jyongri Senior Official PoxNora Guild
Friday 10/09/2010, 19:14

There are alot of SOA in DT.

Friday 10/09/2010, 19:26

Nice to see more vortex cards release.

offline Rain-Teller Imperator Organized Konfusion
Friday 10/09/2010, 19:34

Long awaited Dregn arrives and he is somewhat of a 5* with 8/8 stats that gets nicely through DRs but gets really crippled by SOA (and Yookie makes him look very, very ,VERY miserable). That said, Dregn to me (little Vortex fan) is a disappointment. I might be very much wrong but would he be 8/8 with no ability, this would be a heck of a card and while imbalanced, very much in line with his story. But oh well. Being most Frank I was expecting something much ,much more design-wise advanced. Like 7/6 with defeat: -2 opp pillz, min 2 or something like that. Turns out mere 2* C Wing is actually much more complex card, again, design-wise. I see Dregn as very playable card but Vortex-wise a disappointment. This clan was getting some really, really interesting cards and Monsieur Emperor isn't one of them, imho.

Galen is 5/5 with power = opp power and a bit of a joke. First of all, 3* wasn't needed. 4* -- yes, perhaps 2* for some variety. But nvm, it could be a nice 3*. The problem with power = opp power is that the ability cannot work well because of cards that are already out. This is an example of designers shooting in their own feet. Lots, lots of cards have +/i power or SOA (5 clans just counting bonuses). Then, some cards got very powerful attack manipulation and thus low power cards.

Friday 10/09/2010, 19:34

Which simply means that it cannot work. Grand example would be Mona or Prince Jr, these cards not just crash Galen but destroy him and pee on his corpse while it still moves a bit. Only occasionally, clans get 8 power cards which makes Galen ability truly useful. But this is rare and it's the choice designers made and keep making by releasing more Tobbies, Nahemas and such. And they do that for balance sake to make SOA more viable. But in the same time power = opp power is getting worse and worse unless it is on a low star card and has super synergy with the bonus (like Randy a.k.a. Demon 70).

And that's it. 14 Vortex after, what?, two-three months is disappointing even in the light of information about how slow releasing of new clan helps the game's balance (looking at other releases and I'm not that convinced myself).

Magda aids the Freaks and she does that quite well. 5/3 with -3 opp power to min 3 is nice although not super nice. 3 to min 1 or simply 6/3 would make this card what Freaks really deserve. Rescue will eat her alive and that's the main problem. Any attack manipulation will make her struggle even with her 3 dmg (which is not bad for a 2*). She, however, works very nice with at least two Leaders: Ambre and Eyrik. But that's cheese and here is the problem. Once again, nice addition but not superb addition. I would say she is hardly near Rescue getting yet another superb 5* (Cliff).

Friday 10/09/2010, 19:35

And Jiro for Junkz. Junkz is such badly planned clan. Either you see Gil, Rowdy, Gibson, etc. or you see some additional fillers in opp hand. Clan has OP options and average options which is never good but -- as I said many times -- CCG is just a flawed format. Jiro shall certainly fight for place with Onik and will be a nice option for Junkz players. And I guess that most of the times he will win the spot. Having 9/4 with +8 atk in clan with way too many solid options is just too good to be true (yet it is true!).

offline TNTgoBoom Colossus URBAN MADNESS
Friday 10/09/2010, 19:54

Looking at Vortex's newest releases I can say that this clan wont be as popular for much longer. You got the big man Dregn, while he does sport very impressive power, his dmage is a bit lacking, sure his ability bumps it to a stunning 8 dmg. but if he gets hit by SOA or a wall card, he's rendered completly useless except for a measly 4 dmg. Then you got that lil runt Galen who is only good for throwing and gaining an extra pill

Now look at Freaks newest addition, Magda. Pretty good for a 2*, she's definetly gonna be seen in alot of ELO Freaks mono decks and half decks including Freaks, for the reasons of that she's a filler, her power isnt really that uncommon amongst the Freaks, and her ability really makes her a first round bluff if anything

Finally Jiro. It's been proven that cards with stats like his go far in this game, and given his ability and the clan he's in, people will be looking out for 2TKOs with him and guys like Fuzz or Rowdy which will also make his a great bluff card to make ur opponent pill out at the right time

All in all Jiro is the star of this weeks release, Good thing I started playing Junkz

offline All-GioYNWA Novice  
Friday 10/09/2010, 20:26

I think I know where I will be spending my ELO votes...the Emperor is a beast.
Not fun knowing that you pretty much lost a match if the opponent draws C Wings and Dregn, if you don't have SoA on your hand. If you attack the first turn, the opponent loses with C Wing. Then he throws at you 88 attack to kill you, and if he loses the round: Oh look, I still have 8 pills!
He is just as bad as Kolos for ELO. Kolos too could get ripped apart by SoA and DR, but that's not available every single time.

offline ibtd Imperator Die Frettchen
Friday 10/09/2010, 20:31

The Dregn - C Wing combo pretty much forces ELO players even more into the SoA, SoB clans or running heavy damage reduction. Just what we not need imho.

If you don't run SoA, SoB or DR, you are pretty much done for when facing these two. C Wing just loses and deals damage and gains a pill while Dregn on second turn just goes 10 pillz + fury. Even if you miraculously beat him, you still lose because of the enormous pill advantage an all out attack like this generates for Vortex.

Admittedly, most decks run a lot of DR, SoA and SoB, but the ones that don't have automatically lost.

Oh well, time will tell how useful he really is.

Friday 10/09/2010, 20:51

When i play DT, i saw alot nightmare clan running 2 card full stop SOA and SOB and their normally SOB bonus.

offline DrTravelerLoA Master Legends of America
Friday 10/09/2010, 21:15

"... The demise of leaders in ELO means you're not going to see a lot of monoclan SOA and that Dregn will have a chance to be solid. The Olfgn argument seems nonsensical to me. Less power = less chance to win vs. the de facto 9 power Ghiest cards, and I'd rather land four damage than lose a round with a card that could do five. And non-SOA decks tend to be heavy on DR, which doesn't phase Dregn but neuters Oflgn."

This seems like non-sense to me. Roots are just fine in Mono without a Leader, and in the new ELO I'd put down good money you'll see more of the hippies. Mono -GHEIST will be determined entirely by how kind the player bans are. I wouldn't be so quick to discount Mono-SoA. Worse, Roots mono has heavy SoA backed by DR, which makes Dregn look just stupid.

Also, let's look at DR for the two. Suppose we're looking at Spiaghi, one of the best DR in the game versus each card:

Oflgn with Fury vs. Spiaghi: Life difference of 8. (I gain 4, he loses 4).
Dregn with Fury vs Spiaghi: Life difference of 7 (3 damage, 4 lost life).

So Olfgn still out performs Dregn versus one of the best DR cards in the game.

As for the power issue, you should consider that an "alpha strike" strategy with either card will come after you've picked up a pillz advantage from a few lost rounds, or immediately in turn 1. Turn one Oflgn comes across with 70 power for a 14 point life difference. Dregn comes at you for 80 power for a 10 point difference. I'll take Oflgn.

Answer to this subject

Clint City, night.