A bit more than three weeks ago we presented our Standard format project. After having read your comments we changed the way to implement it. No need to go back over the previous version of this project (you can read the 700 and more comments if you wish), I'm going to talk about the final version.
The goal is still the same : offer a scalable and restrictive format.
Today, we have to many playable characters in each clan. New players are lost with all these options while paradoxically, old players own the best characters but always play with the same ones. With the Standard format, we want to offer to the new and old players a more restrictive environment if they wish, with less options in each clan but more often renewed.
What will we do?
1/ Create a list of characters called "Standard" which will be reset half-yearly. In this list you'll find all characters (and LD too) released within the three last years before the update, Leaders, starter deck characters and characters released after the update. You'll find 13 to 16 characters in each clan. New clan will keep all their characters.
2/ We will create a new deck format:
Standard format: Standard characters only, 40 stars max., no double.
3/ T1 and T2 will be renamed in Extended and Extended 25.
Extended format: all characters are allowed, 40 stars max. no double, equivalent to the current T2.
Extended 25 format: Extended characters, 25 stars max., no double, equivalent to the current T1.
4/ Several changes will be made on the DT.
- The timer will be significantly reduced for all DT matches. From the first match you'll have the same timer as the one you have now above 100 points.
- We will create a list of penalized characters in DT which will be independent from the list of ELO banned characters. The rule will probably remain the same: -2 points for each penalized character un your 4 characters team. We might change the penalty in the future if necessary.
- T1 and T2 room will be merged in one single room Extended Fights. To allow you to play with 15 to 40 stars decks, the battle system will make you face opponents with similar decks. The DTs will always be in this room.
- There will always be a DT every other our but alternately with the two rooms, Extended and Standard. it means there will be a DT one hour out of 4 in the Extended room and the same in the Standard room.
- We will randomly give a collector to players ranked in the top 150 in DTs. We didn't decide the exact number of collectors yet nor the rules of the draw but we're thinking about 5 collectors a day.
I insist on the fact that with the system of matches against similar decks (which already exists on T1 and T2 rooms) you'll be able to build competitive decks with a small number of stars as you'll always face similar decks. Le big difference is that 25 stars decks will face slightly bigger decks and 26 stars decks will face slightly smaller ones. It doesn't happen now because of the rooms limits which don't match with the way DT decks are built.
5/ We will create two new battle rooms.
- Deathmatch Standard: just like the current DM T2 but with Standard decks.
- Survivor Standard: just like the current Survivor T2 but with Standard decks.
6/ We will also make some minor changes as:
- new packs in the shop with Standard characters only.
- sorting options in the collection to only see Standard characters.
- changes in the theme decks (we are still thinking about it).
- minor changes in the visuals of cards to make Standard characters easier to recognize.
You may notice that ELO won't change at all, the same for DM or Survivor rooms. Of course the Fight Club and the Warehouse won't change either.
About the deadline, with all these changes we cannot be sure it will be released on March. We are working on this project and we want to release it quickly but I can't give a date but it should be implemented before this summer.
You can post comments or send emails here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and have fun!
Sorry your Math is wrong as well to look at the size of change you are looking at 48 in and 48 out so a total change of 48 out of the 288 (48 change to another 48 so not 96 changes)
Not that I am complaining about the size of the change but thought it is important to have this correct
@Zoidberg you really seem to be overreacting here. You may not like all the changes here, but most aren't that radical, and you seem so vehemently opposed to standard as a concept that you come across as inflexible, demanding, and uncompromising. A few of the many issues you put out are concerns that the staff should fix and seem to be fixing. But as you post you just seem so desperate to make the changes out to be horrific you'll throw whatever you can at it. From what I've experienced the new modes are actually quite enjoyable in many ways, and UR has put far too much time and effort into evolving the game that they should scratch it just to meet your specific wants.
@ Fraggle, sorry, my math was wrong, but even with 48 cards in, For 21 clans, thats barely 2 new cards per clan. Not even considering how better balanced Skeelz, Vortex, and Beserk are in comparison to Roots or other clans that are lacking greatly. Im just failing to see the variation that a
Six month period will bring.
I am annoyed that many of the things that many long term players brought up long ago have now come into effect, sorry if this makes me sound inflexible etc. Experiance shows in this format that only if people show that they are strongly opposed to things will they actually get loooked at. Like the option with the extra pill option being shown or not. UR said the extra pill being shown was the only way we would have it, us inflexible complainers complained ur changed it.
If you don't voice your objections strongly no one listens sorry but this is the way things are
A very common issue with long running games is that the huge pool of cards prevents new players from getting competent in tournaments and forces game developers to create increasingly strong new characters to keep interest in the game.
This is true to Urban Rivals, and so is to Magic: The Gathering. Magic is the grand father of all TCGs and had to implement limits on it's tournaments to keep things in it's place nearly 15 years ago.
Magic is still doing well, and in my humble opinion UR had no choice but to make this movement sooner or later.
I made a post clsoe to this ealier but the more i play standard the more i see the crazy cards you let in are going to ruin it you have Oshitsune Spyke Caelus Cr morpun Ambre i mean all the leaders got banned from elo or a reason i thought the point of standard was to create a balanced place to play i got hit with a healer while they had Bridget in there hand do you know how much dmg you would need to out pace that life gain and they had me down in stars wich seems to happen every now and then
I was super excited about standard mode and defended it before it came out but you have to get rid of these show stopers or they are going to kill it