A bit more than three weeks ago we presented our Standard format project. After having read your comments we changed the way to implement it. No need to go back over the previous version of this project (you can read the 700 and more comments if you wish), I'm going to talk about the final version.
The goal is still the same : offer a scalable and restrictive format.
Today, we have to many playable characters in each clan. New players are lost with all these options while paradoxically, old players own the best characters but always play with the same ones. With the Standard format, we want to offer to the new and old players a more restrictive environment if they wish, with less options in each clan but more often renewed.
What will we do?
1/ Create a list of characters called "Standard" which will be reset half-yearly. In this list you'll find all characters (and LD too) released within the three last years before the update, Leaders, starter deck characters and characters released after the update. You'll find 13 to 16 characters in each clan. New clan will keep all their characters.
2/ We will create a new deck format:
Standard format: Standard characters only, 40 stars max., no double.
3/ T1 and T2 will be renamed in Extended and Extended 25.
Extended format: all characters are allowed, 40 stars max. no double, equivalent to the current T2.
Extended 25 format: Extended characters, 25 stars max., no double, equivalent to the current T1.
4/ Several changes will be made on the DT.
- The timer will be significantly reduced for all DT matches. From the first match you'll have the same timer as the one you have now above 100 points.
- We will create a list of penalized characters in DT which will be independent from the list of ELO banned characters. The rule will probably remain the same: -2 points for each penalized character un your 4 characters team. We might change the penalty in the future if necessary.
- T1 and T2 room will be merged in one single room Extended Fights. To allow you to play with 15 to 40 stars decks, the battle system will make you face opponents with similar decks. The DTs will always be in this room.
- There will always be a DT every other our but alternately with the two rooms, Extended and Standard. it means there will be a DT one hour out of 4 in the Extended room and the same in the Standard room.
- We will randomly give a collector to players ranked in the top 150 in DTs. We didn't decide the exact number of collectors yet nor the rules of the draw but we're thinking about 5 collectors a day.
I insist on the fact that with the system of matches against similar decks (which already exists on T1 and T2 rooms) you'll be able to build competitive decks with a small number of stars as you'll always face similar decks. Le big difference is that 25 stars decks will face slightly bigger decks and 26 stars decks will face slightly smaller ones. It doesn't happen now because of the rooms limits which don't match with the way DT decks are built.
5/ We will create two new battle rooms.
- Deathmatch Standard: just like the current DM T2 but with Standard decks.
- Survivor Standard: just like the current Survivor T2 but with Standard decks.
6/ We will also make some minor changes as:
- new packs in the shop with Standard characters only.
- sorting options in the collection to only see Standard characters.
- changes in the theme decks (we are still thinking about it).
- minor changes in the visuals of cards to make Standard characters easier to recognize.
You may notice that ELO won't change at all, the same for DM or Survivor rooms. Of course the Fight Club and the Warehouse won't change either.
About the deadline, with all these changes we cannot be sure it will be released on March. We are working on this project and we want to release it quickly but I can't give a date but it should be implemented before this summer.
You can post comments or send emails here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and have fun!
Why is thompson a standard card? Did I miss something?
Caelus Cr doesn't make sense in this format anyway. He isn't available in the Standard pack. Or he shouldn't be, it would be a big glitch if he is.
I know i havent said much good stuff but i really do like the idea for the format it just needs a few tweaks the star count to decide matches is seems a little bugged i jsut played a match where i was down 7 stars and out of 10 matches i was down stars in all of them though in 2 i was not down by much. the last DT i beat a guy who i had about 7 or 6 star count on its not fun on either side
but you still get a chance to win a Cr if you reached top 150 on DT's
including caelus cr
@ Hades : Starter cards are also included in Standard
I'd like to say a few word on thing, sthat weren't mentioned in this topic yet. First of all, new clan is likely to be introduced soon. That means in future, lesser cards in standard for other clans. Right now, Roots have 9 standard cards (I don't count ld). What if, in future they will have only 7 cards? That would be even not enough for mono deck. Where are the deck variety? Also, standard heavily pushes new clans: "Play with us! We have each and every character available!". As far, as I understand, standard and extended were inspired by MTG's formats. However, MTG's standard is tightly related with limited formats and UR don't have limited formats (yet, at least). Also, UR staff have to think more about new releases. Lets say, we have 2 crappy releases - Tood and Gudvibz (I know, crappy cards have to exist). In case of Todd players can just choose to play any other available two star skeel. In case of Gudvibz, roots players wouldn't have much choise, because there are very few two star roots available (and even less good ones). Anyway, UR is looking for a new formats, which is good, though I think it has yet to find its best solutions.
I'm going to go against the flow, and say that I'm very pleased. Sure, there are glaring balanced issues. Leaders and Caelus obviously have no place in standard...but i'm near positive the staff KNOW this, and will be fixing this either with new releases/bans/updates. Sure, some clans are missing tons of cards...but do you think they're just whinging it? I personally think that they will compensate with new releases. Sure, the transition might be a bit rough, but for me it's added new life into the game. Plus, I have a chance at crs, which I never really did before, as I don't have the time or dedication to reach the top 100 elo.
So far the staff has been doing a really great job with this update, and I bought some credits just to show my approval. Have faith, as they have yet to let us down.
Okay, I'm not exactly sure but from what I see Standard is more of Type-2 Play, meaning the high-cards with level 4 and 5s are the ones dominating standard... While level 2 and 3 cards may not have a place there?
I'm asking this question because I'm aware Standard has maximum level sum of 40, meaning all the cards in your deck can be level 5s so please clarify if I'm wrong. Thanks!