A bit more than three weeks ago we presented our Standard format project. After having read your comments we changed the way to implement it. No need to go back over the previous version of this project (you can read the 700 and more comments if you wish), I'm going to talk about the final version.
The goal is still the same : offer a scalable and restrictive format.
Today, we have to many playable characters in each clan. New players are lost with all these options while paradoxically, old players own the best characters but always play with the same ones. With the Standard format, we want to offer to the new and old players a more restrictive environment if they wish, with less options in each clan but more often renewed.
What will we do?
1/ Create a list of characters called "Standard" which will be reset half-yearly. In this list you'll find all characters (and LD too) released within the three last years before the update, Leaders, starter deck characters and characters released after the update. You'll find 13 to 16 characters in each clan. New clan will keep all their characters.
2/ We will create a new deck format:
Standard format: Standard characters only, 40 stars max., no double.
3/ T1 and T2 will be renamed in Extended and Extended 25.
Extended format: all characters are allowed, 40 stars max. no double, equivalent to the current T2.
Extended 25 format: Extended characters, 25 stars max., no double, equivalent to the current T1.
4/ Several changes will be made on the DT.
- The timer will be significantly reduced for all DT matches. From the first match you'll have the same timer as the one you have now above 100 points.
- We will create a list of penalized characters in DT which will be independent from the list of ELO banned characters. The rule will probably remain the same: -2 points for each penalized character un your 4 characters team. We might change the penalty in the future if necessary.
- T1 and T2 room will be merged in one single room Extended Fights. To allow you to play with 15 to 40 stars decks, the battle system will make you face opponents with similar decks. The DTs will always be in this room.
- There will always be a DT every other our but alternately with the two rooms, Extended and Standard. it means there will be a DT one hour out of 4 in the Extended room and the same in the Standard room.
- We will randomly give a collector to players ranked in the top 150 in DTs. We didn't decide the exact number of collectors yet nor the rules of the draw but we're thinking about 5 collectors a day.
I insist on the fact that with the system of matches against similar decks (which already exists on T1 and T2 rooms) you'll be able to build competitive decks with a small number of stars as you'll always face similar decks. Le big difference is that 25 stars decks will face slightly bigger decks and 26 stars decks will face slightly smaller ones. It doesn't happen now because of the rooms limits which don't match with the way DT decks are built.
5/ We will create two new battle rooms.
- Deathmatch Standard: just like the current DM T2 but with Standard decks.
- Survivor Standard: just like the current Survivor T2 but with Standard decks.
6/ We will also make some minor changes as:
- new packs in the shop with Standard characters only.
- sorting options in the collection to only see Standard characters.
- changes in the theme decks (we are still thinking about it).
- minor changes in the visuals of cards to make Standard characters easier to recognize.
You may notice that ELO won't change at all, the same for DM or Survivor rooms. Of course the Fight Club and the Warehouse won't change either.
About the deadline, with all these changes we cannot be sure it will be released on March. We are working on this project and we want to release it quickly but I can't give a date but it should be implemented before this summer.
You can post comments or send emails here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and have fun!
@Andyman maybe a survey/questionnaire?
@Meelosh I personally agree with the timer reduction. Faster is better - if you don't want to win the DT then just play fast to 100pts~ and stop playing.
@Meelosh- I think your style of game play is probably more suited to a format like elo where the more strategic player will win.
DTs are won by the player who can KO the fastest. The shorter time limit would take away some of the element of chance and make it more a contest of skill.
Changing the packs' prices could hurt a lot of "casual players" (people who don't really care about tournaments.) Instead of fully changing packs to standard cards only and raising the price, could you offer separate packs for standard cards?
@generalguy thats what they're doing...
Whats the point of Standard if it doesnt replace ELO
I thought that was the point
Travis hit the nail on the head for me, Whats the point of Standard if it doesnt replace ELO?
Still have an overwhelming hatetred of all the extended being in one room. If i build a 25 star deck, I have no interest in playing against people with 27 or 28 stars.
Because ELO apparently doesn't need to change. And to be honest, DT does.
This is so much better... elo was the problem... and now the market won't crash every second friday