Urban Rivals
?
Register            Already signed up to the game →  
Click here if you forgot your password.

Tournaments, Standard mode, what will happen?

Thursday 05/04/2012, 16:49
Euzebe - Legend English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
280 messages
Euzebe - Legend English - Thursday 05/04/2012, 16:49

Hello all,

After the (chaotic) release of the Standard mode and the first feedbacks, we have taken decisions on several things we want to let your know. We think you will be satisfied with the future improvements we will add first.

• Improvement of the quickbattle system in DTs.

We already made corrections, it seems that the small decks vs big decks problem is far less met. We will keep on working on it until the partition T1/T2 is not a problem any more.

• Penalties on some characters in DTs.

The first 2 points penalties per character are already operational and you can find the list here: http://www.urban-rivals.com/help/?category=9-0
Except for Leader, for the moment there are no penalized Standard characters. It may change, we give ourselves time to analyse DTs.

• DTs divided in two.

Finally we won’t alternate DT’s. We will let you have two DTs at the same time, 1 Standard, 1 Extended. With two different rankings.

• Length of a DT shorten but increase of its frequency.

DTs length will decrease from 1 hour to 45 minutes with a 15 minutes break between each tournament and then you can play again. It means there will be 24 Standard DTs and 24 Extended DTs per day.
To prevent abuses, a limitation of 8 DT credits per day and player will be added (you will receive all other rewards if you play more than 8 DTs).

Survivor Standard and Deathmatch Standard rooms.

They will be open soon, we are working on an update of the flash game.

Questions you may want to ask:

• The number of CR remain at 5. It might change in the future.
• A PM will be sent to you each evening if you made a top 150 during the day so as to inform you if you have won a collector (or not).
• The timer will be reduced from 60 to 50 seconds again.

Have fun
« Previous12...91011121314...2728Next »

111/280
wasteroftime - Moderator - Open Casket English
Tuesday 17/04/2012, 01:18

@elite

those numbers dont mean much until you compare it to numbers in other formats. if elo is the only one dropping, then you can make a statement with elo losing appeal. if the number of games in extended is rising, then all the happened is traffic went from one place to another. if numbers are dropping everywhere, then that is a UR wide concern. but without the numbers and as much info as possible its hard to reach reasonable conclusions/assumptions

as for this comment
"There's just no reason to play ELO beyond getting the basic 1050 score prize."

well more credits can be won with a higher elo score... it is playing beyond 1300 that was always the one where you had to have motivation

And who actually seriously plays ELO for DT scores??? You played ELO to play ELO and as a bonus you got 1 credit more every other hour and 50 clintz or maybe a bit more.

I wonder what would happen if you moved prizes to the Standard format... hmmm
112/280
ghelas - Admin - The Trend English
Tuesday 17/04/2012, 21:35

Almost everyone is still missing the big picture here...

Standard is a mode where it's easily possible to build a deck that dominates based simply on a good draw.
OP Deck type 1: you win if you draw Hugo or Ambre
OP Deck type 2: you win if you draw your high win chance 7+ damage card (for example, Spyke or Caelus Cr) and draw at least 2 Vortex who can deal enough damage to KO with it.

Right now, these setups + 1 hour of fast play = easy top 100 in a DT.

I honestly expected everyone, and I mean, EVERYONE above level 30 to be running one of these two setups in Standard. I think it will happen pretty soon, assuming most UR players are actually capable of learning. The advantage of such setups is so great that it currently makes DT point penalties irrelevant.

So the future of Standard is a bunch of people running nearly identical, draw-dependant setups. It is going to be BAD. It is going to be BORING. It is going to be based almost entirely off luck, and that will make it very frustrating for all of us.

My proposition:
Devs need to work hard to balance Standard in order to prevent the scenario described above, or kill it outright so that more attention can be given to game modes that aren't completely unbalanced. Completely ban or more severely penalize the "haha I win" cards, or at least add more life to disable easy KOs.

There should be no talk of rewards, tweaking the timers, etc. while Standard remains broken on such a basic level.
113/280
Zoidberg1 - Legend - the courtyard of shadows English
Tuesday 17/04/2012, 22:32

@wasteroftime

I think you are right in all but one thing, and elite misses one reason for the possible migration.

No one played DT's seriously in ELO (To get in the top 50) but they played ELO at DT times so they could get the 50 clintz plus 1 credit, with this no longer available some players may just prefer to play the DT. The other reason for the switch (If that is what has happened) is that ELO is no longer the only place to have a chance of winning a CR, people are likely to see it as easier to win one from the DT's than from getting a high elo score.

But as you say is this people leaving ELO or people leaving UR? Either way it may need some balancing/ changes from the powers that be.
114/280
Tuesday 17/04/2012, 22:43

@Ghelas

I almost agree, but it is probably easier to do the reward tweaks than to get a set of cards with good balance. OK there are easy wins (Like kicking Hugo and Ambre out of the mode) but the more cards you kick out the more limited it is. What really needs to happen is that UR do conciderable beta testing in the back ground to really try to get a good balance of cards for standard that aren't dominated by a few super expensive cards. If they change it then need to change it again and again people will dislike it even more. In the mean time why not fix the quick things like tweaking rewards time out pens etc.

Hopefully UR are looking into sorting this out as Standard is getting less and less popular, but I would think it will take a while. However an update would be great.

Ghelas I was the most outspoken person on standard being broken but all we can do is hope UR will listen to the suggestions we have made and fix it.

But keep up the suggestions
115/280
seedweeds - Imperator - WHITE FIGHTERS English
Wednesday 18/04/2012, 00:48

I want the leaders to be banned in standard if they are elo banned. Yeah great they are cards everyone has access to, but if I'm going to be forced to play standard just to be in tounaments, but I'm an elo player it seems unfair that I should have to always include a cheap ass Leader in my deck every time just so i can do well in the tourneys.
116/280
Wednesday 18/04/2012, 00:52

Another thing, You will be giving away collectors every day? really that's awesome!
117/280
ghelas - Admin - The Trend English
Wednesday 18/04/2012, 04:14

Zoidberg, I always thought I was the one who complained about Standard more than anyone else! Good to know some other people saw the balance issues coming as well.

I really do think Ambre, Hugo, and Caelus Cr need to be kicked right out. Ambre and Hugo may be easy to gain access to, but they take 90% of the strategy out of the game. Honestly, the sheer amount of winning power that they add to your draw is so great, that you have a decent chance of winning 3 out of 4 rounds just throwing pills around at random. And Caelus Cr is an overpowered, high-damage card, which can currently be run as a splash due to lack of SoA in Standard... Not to mention, many newer players do not have access to him at all.

The other easy fix that could be implemented at any time? Bump Standard up to 13 life. That doesn't entirely fix Berzerk and Vortex being OP, but it will help. Vortex half decks will no longer be able to crush people with 7/5 damage synergy, and the fact that almost any Berzerk card can deal at least 6 damage will be a lot less devastating. It will still be possible to threaten early KOs, but it will be more difficult to build decks where doing so is a fool-proof way to an easy victory.
118/280
Wednesday 18/04/2012, 20:18

@Ghelas

I can't argue with the cards easy fix but would add Spyke

Not sure the 13 life would work unless you split it off from Extended in DT's as the higher life would make matches longer
119/280
Thursday 19/04/2012, 06:15

There is a simple flaw with standard that I discovered. Because it is draw based, and because the computer tries as best it can to find opponents with similar star counts if a person with a high star count deck is forced to play a person with a low star deck because they are the only two players looking for a match, the low star deck will almost invariably lose. Thus standard tournaments are inherently unfair to people who want to play with lower star decks.

Another potential problem is that the cards that you draw can be manipulated. It is my belief after a few experiments that the computer will try and match the star count of the cards you and your opponents draw. This means that with certain combinations of star counts say four 5 stars and four 2 stars, you will always draw those four 5 stars if your opponent is using a 40 star deck. This is a theory. I will have to do more experiments to see if this continues to hold true. If it does, this is a super huge flaw and urban rivals will probably have to stop doing standard.
120/280
Thursday 19/04/2012, 18:35

@Seedweeds

Every time I come up against someone with an 18* + hand using my T1 deck I inevitably draw no more than 10 stars myself so have no chance. So I don't think your theory is correct

« Previous12...91011121314...2728Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals