offline Euzebe Colossus Open Casket
Thursday 05/04/2012, 16:49

Hello all,

After the (chaotic) release of the Standard mode and the first feedbacks, we have taken decisions on several things we want to let your know. We think you will be satisfied with the future improvements we will add first.

• Improvement of the quickbattle system in DTs.

We already made corrections, it seems that the small decks vs big decks problem is far less met. We will keep on working on it until the partition T1/T2 is not a problem any more.

• Penalties on some characters in DTs.

The first 2 points penalties per character are already operational and you can find the list here: http://www.urban-rivals.com/help/?category=9-0
Except for Leader, for the moment there are no penalized Standard characters. It may change, we give ourselves time to analyse DTs.

• DTs divided in two.

Finally we won’t alternate DT’s. We will let you have two DTs at the same time, 1 Standard, 1 Extended. With two different rankings.

• Length of a DT shorten but increase of its frequency.

DTs length will decrease from 1 hour to 45 minutes with a 15 minutes break between each tournament and then you can play again. It means there will be 24 Standard DTs and 24 Extended DTs per day.
To prevent abuses, a limitation of 8 DT credits per day and player will be added (you will receive all other rewards if you play more than 8 DTs).

Survivor Standard and Deathmatch Standard rooms.

They will be open soon, we are working on an update of the flash game.

Questions you may want to ask:

• The number of CR remain at 5. It might change in the future.
• A PM will be sent to you each evening if you made a top 150 during the day so as to inform you if you have won a collector (or not).
• The timer will be reduced from 60 to 50 seconds again.

Have fun

offline ghelas Titan E X C A L I B U R
Thursday 19/04/2012, 19:02

Seedweeds -- Not 100% sure how this works, but I believe that beating higher-star cards with lower-star cards gives you bonus points in tournaments. If so, playing a low-star deck well actually gives you a huge edge. I've been running NM/Vortex in Standard and cleaning up with decks that have all been under 25*s, so I think you're wrong about it being a flaw.

offline failtego Master The BeSharps
Thursday 19/04/2012, 19:08

@ seedweeds
i dont think it works that way, but if it does, it is obviously super broken.

i would really appreciate if this anouncements would be made clear and in good english and the all the facts where there for the players. so for example it should be clear how the quickbattle system really works. i was trying to play standard with a 22 star deck, so on average i should be paired against 11stars in the 4 cards of my opponent. this is not really the case. i think my 100+ sample size can still be off out of varianz but guessing is always worse then knowing excactly.

offline Fraggle Titan  
Thursday 19/04/2012, 19:19

The quickbattle has been improved today, especially during in tournament rooms during tournament times.

Various factors are taken into account: avg stars (mostly but not only), global winrate for the deck in the gamemode (if enough data), recent winrate of the player in the gamemode (if enough data).

We are still working of the various values but no one should ever face a 40* deck vs a 20* deck, it's mathematically impossible.
I think the min/max (for extreme case) can be around 5*-6* difference between the 2 decks.
Remember the hand you draw is not the same as the deck you have. Some decks (played by very good DT players) are very unbalanced (like 7x2* and 1x5*).

We are taking a very close look at the matchmaking and we are quite satisfied with our latest change.

offline seedweeds Imperator WHITE FIGHTERS
Thursday 19/04/2012, 22:52

Ok, so if there can be a 5-6 star variance between players then you acknowledge that there is an inherent disadvantage to anyone who chooses to play with a deck smaller than 40 stars w/ 8 characters. This is assuming that 5 star cards are typically better than lower star cards. This is a fair assumption.

I don't know what the trade-off is in DT's for beating a higher star card with a lower star card. I know it varies based on stars. An interesting question that I would like to know the answer to is whether or not the change to standard has made the relative disadvantage of playing T2 in DTs less of a problem. I know that previously in T2 the DT points received after each match were always lower than in T1. Thus if you couldn't quickly KO your opponent you would spend an equal amount of time for each match as someone in T1 and then get less points. What I would also like to know is if that difference was simply a result of the star difference or if it was the result of some multiplier effect that UR added at the end to correct for the T2 decks that could quickly KO and thus rack up points much faster (I believe this is more likely because it would be just as typical for similar star levels to fight each regardless of T1 or T2 resulting in similar payouts of points on a character basis). If standard has made DTs more fair for T2 players by throwing everyone together, great. But now there is a different problem. The variance problem.

offline Zoidberg1 Legend the courtyard of shadows
Thursday 19/04/2012, 22:53

@Fraggle

Sorry can we have the exact rules for the match making, to me that sounds like you are trying to set up the game so that the more successful players are playing each other, as a kind of leveling. This cannot be good for the game as it means everytime you get on a good run you will come up against the other players on a good run, this will result in an even bigger advantage to the players with the fastest connection who can get in more games, it also opens up the simple abuse of throwing games before a DT starts to get against the worst players. Please tewll me I am wrong in this as I think it will be a bad change.

I'm also concerned about the global win rate of the deck you are using, this sounds like you will end up playing people with decks with a similar win rate (ie biased toward the same few decks) this sounds as if it will destroy what little variety is left.

Please tell me I am wrong in this

offline Zoidberg1 Legend the courtyard of shadows
Thursday 19/04/2012, 23:39

Let me add to my earlier comment about the latest deck selection with the below

I'm not an amazing player, I win just over 2/3 of my fights with my massive collection (Ok so it might be a bit better if I didn't mission play so much) but with the old rooms I could get lucky in my opponents ang get a really good run going and get in the top 5 or even win a DT (It actually has happened) but with the new set up this seems less likely which is really sad if the DT winners come from an even smaller pool than previously.

I just hope I am wrong

offline ghelas Titan E X C A L I B U R
Friday 20/04/2012, 02:35

@seedweeds:

"Ok, so if there can be a 5-6 star variance between players then you acknowledge that there is an inherent disadvantage to anyone who chooses to play with a deck smaller than 40 stars w/ 8 characters. This is assuming that 5 star cards are typically better than lower star cards. This is a fair assumption. "

I was trying to explain this earlier, had to dig it out of the rules... It seems a bit dated, but I'm pretty sure something similar to this still applies. Hopefully a mod or an admin can correct me if I'm wrong.

"In Urban Rivals, a high level player may play with a team of low level characters, just as a player with a much lower level can play with a team of very powerful characters. Thus, the amount of points awarded to the winner of the fight is not connected to the players’ levels, but rather to the levels of the cards the winner had in his team at the time of the fight. The formula is very simple. The number of points awarded to the winner is equal to 25 minus the sum of the levels of the 4 characters in your team (showed by the yellow stars). Example: a player with a team of four level 5 characters will receive 5 points for a win, another one with a team of four level 1 will receive 21 points, and a player with a team including one level 5, two level 3 and one level 4 would receive 10 points. It’s up to you to put together a balanced Deck that allows you to win fights and do well in the points scoring stakes."

offline seedweeds Imperator WHITE FIGHTERS
Friday 20/04/2012, 05:30

So i looked up the winnings table for character match ups and noticed something bizarre. Any time a character levels up you get 10 battle points times their previous level. This means that even if I lose the match but I have 4 four star characters who become level 5 i will get 160 battle points? somethings wrong here that can't be right. simply by creating these kinds of decks I would get 1st in DTs every time easily. What am I misunderstanding about this level up bonus?

offline C0mbatWombat Guru The Infinite Shoeblack
Friday 20/04/2012, 06:04

I am really disappointed that everything has changed in the fight menus without any warning or explanation. Also, I am unable to connect to an opponent for 5 minutes. Now it is 5 past 12 and I will not make the top of the tourney. I think UR staff need to be more involved in the community. It is fine to make changes, but make the changes players want, and tell everyone what is happening. Don't bury your changes in the staff announcements menu. put them on the damn front page.

offline FoFPrinnyDood Titan Friends Of Fate
Friday 20/04/2012, 06:22

@seedweeds: i've been wondering the same thing... it seems really stupid to use cards in DT that are not fully leveled up, unless you want them as low-star fillers, so why should there be a bonus of any kind for doing it?

and for that matter i think cards should not even level up in normal game modes, except for the lost warehouse... what's the point of calling it "training" mode, otherwise? so that way, if people want to use a card at level 1, they can safely do so without having to worry about it leveling up after a limited number of rounds. just a thought...

also, star count-matching has been working fine for me until now... i don't think UR should be meddling with the win rates and such, though, it should stay random so that everyone gets to face their share of both experts and noobs... why unbalance the game even more than it is now? smiley

Answer to this subject

Clint City, day.