offline Euzebe Colossus Open Casket
Thursday 05/04/2012, 16:49

Hello all,

After the (chaotic) release of the Standard mode and the first feedbacks, we have taken decisions on several things we want to let your know. We think you will be satisfied with the future improvements we will add first.

• Improvement of the quickbattle system in DTs.

We already made corrections, it seems that the small decks vs big decks problem is far less met. We will keep on working on it until the partition T1/T2 is not a problem any more.

• Penalties on some characters in DTs.

The first 2 points penalties per character are already operational and you can find the list here: http://www.urban-rivals.com/help/?category=9-0
Except for Leader, for the moment there are no penalized Standard characters. It may change, we give ourselves time to analyse DTs.

• DTs divided in two.

Finally we won’t alternate DT’s. We will let you have two DTs at the same time, 1 Standard, 1 Extended. With two different rankings.

• Length of a DT shorten but increase of its frequency.

DTs length will decrease from 1 hour to 45 minutes with a 15 minutes break between each tournament and then you can play again. It means there will be 24 Standard DTs and 24 Extended DTs per day.
To prevent abuses, a limitation of 8 DT credits per day and player will be added (you will receive all other rewards if you play more than 8 DTs).

Survivor Standard and Deathmatch Standard rooms.

They will be open soon, we are working on an update of the flash game.

Questions you may want to ask:

• The number of CR remain at 5. It might change in the future.
• A PM will be sent to you each evening if you made a top 150 during the day so as to inform you if you have won a collector (or not).
• The timer will be reduced from 60 to 50 seconds again.

Have fun

offline ghelas Titan E X C A L I B U R
Friday 20/04/2012, 06:50

@seedweeds: This is buried in the rules somewhere, too...

Your goal in a Tournament is to score as many battle points as possible during the course of the Tournament.
Special scoring rules during Tournaments:

No bonus points when a character goes up a level.
No more than 2 bonus points in total for the “KO with remaining Pillz” bonus and/or “Life points over 12” bonus.
If you win and your team of 4 contained characters banned by staff in ELO, 2 points will be removed per character.
If 2 players have more than 100 points during a tournament, the time allotted to play each round is considerably reduced.

I think a lot of the people who consistently take 1st place in DTs are just those who have managed to find all of the arcane snippets on the scoring system scattered throughout all of UR, and somehow figured out which of those are up to date. I'm starting to think that it's actually just part of the game...

What would really be swell is a results screen that actually shows a break-down of points after each battle.

offline Fraggle Titan  
Friday 20/04/2012, 07:20

The front page will be updated with details about the new version shortly.

offline Fraggle Titan  
Friday 20/04/2012, 07:32

Answers for your questions:

The goal of the matchmaking is to find you a fair opponent, someone you should be able to defeat.
There is no disadvantage of playing a small deck or a big deck, it's a matter of strategy. Big deck score less points (and no, level up bonus points dont work in DT) but tends to be faster and small deck score more points but tends to be slower.

There is no absolute like "players in a good run will only meet players in a good run" or "decks will all become the same".
It's a matter of ponderation. The formula is globally like this (rate range can change) :
Player Value = avgstars (between 1 and 5, obviously) + globaldeckwinrate (between -X/+X) + playerwinrate (between -X/+X)

The avg stars is a simple way to start somewhere
The global deck winrate in the gamemode will raise or lower the value based on in-game activity
The player winrate in the gamemode will raise or lower the value based on player recent activity

if diff between player_a_value and player_b_value inferior something (like 0.25), then ok to fight.

available wasteroftime Colossus Open Casket
Friday 20/04/2012, 10:16

Scoring rules for DTs were always available
if you couldnt find them... they were in the forums. Numerous guides in the forum had these rules set out.

tips like play fast, low star to beat high star, leave a pill, spam ENTER were not hard to find

successful DT players know this. regardless of changes to the system good DT players (or elo or whatever) will adjust and continue to get good results. shortening times give a slight advantage to players with faster comps and faster connections

facing higher starred decks was the norm in T2 room and in fact you wanted to face high star decks. losing fast if you cant win is, was, and will always be part of a successful DT strategy.

offline AmberRed1994 Guru Limit Break
Friday 20/04/2012, 10:47

Sorry, but I'm still quite unclear of match-ups:
What do you mean by global deck winrate? Do you mean the winrate of that players using that deck globally? If so, what if you're the only one using that deck?

offline C0mbatWombat Guru The Infinite Shoeblack
Friday 20/04/2012, 13:01

OK, here is an idea which could make life more bearable. If the opponent uses a banned card, the player should get 2 points on top of the minimum win? It sucks so bad to be caned by an amber caelus combo, but knowing you'll get at least 7 points from it would make it an easier pill to swallow...

offline ElitePow Imperator New VisioN
Friday 20/04/2012, 13:20

Star matching is the best aspect of all the recent changes. Instead of usual 25 Stars or 40 Stars, it opens way to play with much weaker cards (like, 16 stars or 20 stars) with decent win/lose ratios. Furthermore, because you win (25 - Star count of your hand) per battle, very soon most leaders in daily tournaments should be using 16-18 star decks.

offline Hecules Veteran  
Friday 20/04/2012, 13:37

"Player Value = avgstars (between 1 and 5, obviously) + globaldeckwinrate (between -X/+X) + playerwinrate (between -X/+X)"

I want to ask what is the range of plater value to match in the system.
Or can UR orffical announce the range of X coz it show the weight of avgstar and winrate.
If X is larger enough, it could have a chance of facing a high star hand wiht a low star deck.
Also, does it means that if a player have a low winrate, he can have an advantage of facing weaker oppenent. I dont know this formula existed or not before standard introduced, but it seems like bad for me.

offline Zoidberg1 Legend the courtyard of shadows
Friday 20/04/2012, 18:30

@Fraggle

Thanks for clarifying that I am much happier about the criteria now

I was worried that it would be three seperate criteria and you would be getting an opponent that had to be similar for all of the criteria.

offline ghelas Titan E X C A L I B U R
Saturday 21/04/2012, 02:06

@Fraggle: Just want to say it's been great seeing admin feedback and clarifications around the boards! Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Answer to this subject

Clint City, day.