Urban Rivals
?
Register            Already signed up to the game →  
Click here if you forgot your password.

ELO 2.0 (some ramblings and a suggestion)

Monday 29/04/2013, 12:42
ghelas - Titan English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
43 messages
ghelas - Titan - The TrendEnglish - Monday 29/04/2013, 12:42

I'd like to make a suggestion regarding ELO mode.

Even though ELO is, in a way, more balanced than ever before, I think there is still a pretty big issue. A lot of clans have too many cards that are good in fairly random ways, sometimes countering the opponent's hand by chance instead of design. While the most powerful cards like Kalindra get ELO banned rather fast, the slightly OP counter-cards created to deal with them remain...

The result is that clans have less of an identity than ever, power creep is becoming more prominent, and the meta feels less focused than before the last wave of perma-bans. FPC does SoB better than Piranas. Sakrohm have a recently released 4* that's better than a recently released Skeelz 5*. And so on...

I think Standard was an attempt to solve this exact issue, and I can now see the need for a solution along those lines. However, I think there is a far more eloquent way to implement it.

Here's my idea:

-A ranked mode, similar to ELO.
-Only 8 clans playable per week, 5 chosen at random and 3 chosen by player vote.
-ELO banned cards, both temp and perma, not playable in this mode.
-To give players incentive to play both ELO and the new mode, increase rewards for players outside of T100 in both modes.

What does everyone think? Would this be a good play mode to see? Any issues, suggestions, feedback of any kind? Very eager to hear if ELO regulars would enjoy this mode.
« Previous12345Next »

11/43
-Argos-ZS - Titan - D-Versified English
Thursday 02/05/2013, 04:04

I just think non-event competitions should be open to everyone, not restricted to the upper echelons - especially if there are prizes.

And the idea was more that the new room would be splitting the minuscule amount of players still playing this game even further. To give a better example than the 200 ELO players, I've been back for about two months. The most players I've seen in the 25* DM room is 6. There just aren't enough players for the obscene amount of game modes that already exist.
12/43
WMDuessel - Imperator - Wise Men Distracted English
Thursday 02/05/2013, 04:06

My post was cut, sorry.

It isn't compulsory to play this hypothetical mode. Also, the only reason people are in Duel is because of the easy prizes. It's easily the most boring and pointless game mode in UR. UR can limit Duel's prizes, let's say
13/43
-Argos-ZS - Titan - D-Versified English
Thursday 02/05/2013, 05:14

XD It happened again.
14/43
Thursday 02/05/2013, 05:21

It isn't compulsory to play this hypothetical mode. Also, the only reason people are in Duel is because of the easy prizes. It's easily the most boring and pointless game mode in UR. UR can limit Duel's prizes, let's say
15/43
-Glacier- - Imperator - E X C A L I B U R English
Thursday 02/05/2013, 05:43

The problem I see with the 8 Clans per week, is this mode will feel even more claustrophobic than ELO is atm. There's always a select few clans in ELO that people will be dominating with (GHEIST, Rescue, Saks, Uppers Etc.), but since all clans are viable, some fun, potent decks can be made from the less popular decks. If there's only 8 clans, people will just use the better ones and will have less options from the less popular ones. And I feel the contrary when dealing with prizes, leave the prizes for out of T100 the same and improve the one's for T100. Great players constantly finish in the top 25 and get nothing. I've finished 1470+ Many times and have gotten junk from ELO :s
16/43
Thursday 02/05/2013, 05:49

I give up.
17/43
ghelas - Titan - The Trend English
Thursday 02/05/2013, 10:25

No, try again! I'm curious as to what you have to say!
18/43
jlegolas - Master - night school English
Thursday 02/05/2013, 16:34

I think Clintz rewards should be increased for top 100 like 2-4k for getting 26-100 place
19/43
kidUSA - Master - Biggest Team Seen English
Thursday 02/05/2013, 18:14

@jlegolas

I dunno about that. I feel that would inflat the market, causing prices of cards to increase.
20/43
jlegolas - Master - night school English
Thursday 02/05/2013, 21:05

Less cr's more clintz would make more stable income for top 100.

« Previous12345Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals