Elo has gotten slower....

Thursday 16/05/2013, 02:20
wasteroftime - Moderator English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
25 messages
wasteroftime - Moderator - Open CasketEnglish - Thursday 16/05/2013, 02:20

Decided to give elo another shot this week. probably will be the 5th or 6th week this year so far.

i have to say that ELO is now far slower than it has ever been. due to the huge amount of nuking cards, people are overthinking their moves each round. I understand this is not a speed format like DT. But do we really need 3 minutes each to think about each move?

some of it can be accounted to less experienced players who do not see that the game is a sealed win/loss and so they dont quit or play out the rounds to get the win. some of it is simply due to overthinking.

guys i flip a coin on 50-50s, there is no need to "read my mind". flip a coin and hope
« Previous123Next »

11/25
BK-Stillborn - Titan Español
Saturday 18/05/2013, 17:13

@ghelas yeah right, i even bluff using the time counter to make the opponent think i'm gonna make certain move! that kind of strategies make a great elo player
12/25
TGAP-Trixie - Senior English
Saturday 18/05/2013, 21:00

Bluffing the timer and 0lding? Yup, great strategy
We've gone through this thread before. Reduce playing times from rounds 3 and 4; 2 minutes for those rounds is too much
13/25
wasteroftime - Moderator - Open Casket English
Saturday 18/05/2013, 21:16

Yeah its a strategy if you bite into it. hence the earlier Princess Bridge reference. It changes the experience of playing it, but the outcome is independent from the time you take, hence i dont bother getting caught up with it.
14/25
ghelas - Admin - The Trend English
Sunday 19/05/2013, 17:18

@Waster: Right, but I think that's it's not a bad thing that there are several ways to approach the game. UR is really unique in that both strategy and psychology matter! There has even been some good discussion among my guild as to what kind of impact card art makes on how players will react to a card being played. It does seem like card art plays a little bit of a role in whether a move is seen as threatening or not. I personally am entertained by all this. The fact that there are so many elements that may figure prominently in consistent ELO play are an indicator of how rich and unique this game is, IMO. Not to say that the mode is perfect, but I still find it rather satisfying.

edited by UM_AaaBattery Sunday 19/05/2013, 17:18
15/25
Myeltd - Legend - Limit Break English
Sunday 19/05/2013, 17:19

What we need to do is shrink the time limits in the elo room, or offer more options. Have the timer set for 2mins per turn, with a conditional 1 minute timer once you've hit a personal best elo score of 1300 or higher.

edited by UM_AaaBattery Sunday 19/05/2013, 17:19
16/25
UM_AaaBattery - Moderator - URBAN MADNESS English
Sunday 19/05/2013, 17:21

I have edited the thread a bit to put it back on track and to stop it turning into the other thread.

I like the ELO is a slow game mode but a small decrease in the timer could help a bit to stop stalling.
17/25
Denials - Master English
Sunday 19/05/2013, 23:08

Ghelas is kinda right here...top poker players do a thing caled hollywooding. It's not so much about 'mind-reading' as it is just being able to 'read' an opponent. If I played immediately, it's more likely that I haven't gone through the full maths and am going all in or no pilling as Ghelas has said. Indeed, if my opponent plays the same then I would think similarly. If I so slowed down, then an intelligent opp may realise I'm going through the calculations. Time matters a lot.

Hmm I think the current timer is fine, maybe needs shortening a little. But there should be a MUCH shorter time limit for the last move, when it's basically a forced play and easy to work out..
18/25
wasteroftime - Moderator - Open Casket English
Sunday 19/05/2013, 23:32

Maybe its just me and a few people. but most of my thinking is done after the 1st round. i look at the 8 cards in play and think about what is most ideal for me and what is most ideal for the opponent. then go from there... well prepared to adjust as needed. I am pretty quick to detect "sure" wins than only a mistake in pilling on my part or the opponents part can change -- and when i am rusty, all it takes is a few games

in the past there were FAR more possibilities to win/lose matches. now the solutions are a bit more obvious, and if a person is going for a less obvious way to win, they put themselves at a greater math disadvantage -- good for them for playing with some guts, and well done when they pull it off.

the 14 life (not a bad or a good change, just a change) is what slowed it down a bit since life gapping requires more planning just KOing

50-50s ill play it out the same speed since i probably knew what i was doing as i was waiting for you. Feel free to think if i did the math or not.
19/25
Myeltd - Legend - Limit Break English
Monday 20/05/2013, 01:04

Also, denials, the opposite of that is also true for most "top poker pros". Sometimes when they have nothing but want to "seem" like they're making tough choices, they slow down, thus making their opponents think that the decision afterward is a tough one. In the end, poker is a game of strategy, luck, and reading your opponent's moves, whereas this game (as of right now, with no way to "view" the opponent), is a game of strategy, and tons of luck.
20/25
JO3SHMO - Imperator - aussie crusaders English
Monday 20/05/2013, 02:54

I myself am guilty of taking the timer into account (to some extent) when playing my moves. I don't know what effect this has (if any at all), but it's interesting nonetheless. Playing the most logical move is still the most important thing, independent of either player's timer.

On a side note, the top 100 cutoff for this week was 1417. I don't know how high the cutoff was "back in the day" because I simply wasn't around, but it seems to be a promising improvement from the 138x top 100 scores from not too long ago.

« Previous123Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals