We’ve made a few changes to Duel mode:
- Reduced the number of cards to be won to one card a day for 10 wins.
- Limited the use of the room once the card has been won.
You can play Kate again the next day to win a card.
We've decided to make these changes because although the Duel room is very popular, it is, unfortunately, a victim of its own success.
Our initial aim in creating Duel mode was to help new players win cards and start their collection by playing.
However, this system has not fulfilled our aims: the fact that you can carry out unlimited fights does not encourage Urban Rivals’ new recruits to try out other rooms.
We would like this room to act as a transition zone between starting out in the game and entering the multiplayer game modes.
Currently a lot of players use this room to carry out their missions and earn battle points without having to even go into the multiplayer rooms, which is a further unintended consequence of the mode. Although Kate is very nice, we feel the essence of Urban Rivals is in the multiplayer modes.
Happy gaming to you all!
Most of the multi-player modes are not fun. I enjoyed playing the Duel in the 5-10-15 format because I was curious to see what the next card was and see if it was in my collection or not. The old format also allowed for a lengthy casual session if you needed a break from another format like ELO. I do not understand why using Duel for missions is so bad. Most of them (Sakrohm) take a long time even with Duel. Below is a breakdown of why I do not play many of the other modes besides ELO.
This is a good mode but cost credits to open 2 of the missions.
This mode is just silly. Every banned character lurks here along with leavers and time outs. There is no casual standard or Extended 25 mode which I would be more inclined to play than this format.
This can be fun but I do not play it often. The reward seem pretty minimal even when I place in the top 40.
This mode is not played by many people. With more players this mode might be worth playing but at the moment it seems dead.
I like the idea but the window to play this is so small I don't bother with it.
This is the mode I play the most. The depth of challenge and deck making is good but some clans dominate which can become frustrating. Good payout at the end of the week.
There are some good events out there but depending on the region and time you have to play events can be a point grab based on how many matches rather than performance.
@ 11:11PM EST
Duel 600 Players
Tourney 434 Players
Death Match 40 Players
ELO 220 Players
Yeah let's discourage 3500 hourly Duel players to increase UR's Multi-Player formats
Yeah kickout 80%+ Duel players but DM has 40 meager players? 40 Players in DM is pathetic!
But UR says Multi is the "essence" of this game but does 579 DT Players reflect this? Funny how DT used to enjoy 1800 to 2600 hourly players. Good to see UR's retention strategy working hard.
I can't fault ELO, that's where good players and strategies shine - but it's polar opposite of Duel. As many posters here mention, perhaps not all players want Multi all the time.
We want an option where we can play at our pace and accomplish tasks like Missions. Why's that difficult for UR to understand?
OK forget about card rewards & BP, just offer players a room to play UR in peace. Whoever is calculating revenue and retention at UR isn't doing their job correctly.
BTW: Kate's A.I.'s smarter and she'll predict your 2 Pillz move. That's fine, nobody said we wanted Duel to be idiot-proof.
Steps to improve Kate's AI:
1. Remove all-in or all but 2 pills moves on 1-2 round or at least make them less frequent. Kate is shown to do pretty well in later rounds, but it doesn't matter, because she then has no pills to cause any opposition.
2. Avoid patterns and constants. Kate seems to often fall into step1->step2 behaviour. Don't always enforce her into most logical choice, add some chance of less logical play (doesn't need to be big, just to add some variation). Declare more random variables.
3. Try to create synergy between the cards Kate draws (f.e. you can define: this set of cards plays well with this set of cards, so there's bigger chance for Kate to draw this combination), throw in a mono deck from time to time.
4. Add some simple learning algorithm. Doesn't need to be complicated, you'll just need a few additional variables in your database for each player and it will make a tremendous difference, also you could expand on this in the future.
Do this and then make duel unlimited again