Why are people quitting matches in ELO?

Friday 13/09/2013, 13:26
Kefalo - Legend English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
10 messages
Kefalo - Legend - the shockwavesEnglish - Friday 13/09/2013, 13:26

It's very strange seeing how many 1300+ players quit almost as soon as they lose the first round. Is this related to scoring?

Also, the difference in scoring gets rather sharp once you're above 1300 - I get pretty much max 10 for wins, and -20 for losses. Any way to counteract this?

2/10
misterjones - Titan - Limit Break English
Friday 13/09/2013, 17:03

1) people leave because there's no penalty and winning is either impossible or so unlikely that spending the time to win is less worthwhile than finding a new match.

2) nope, that's working as intended. Anybody who wins 50% of their matches and plays enough can get to 1300, to have a positive gain above that you need to win over 2/3rds of your matches.
3/10
Maverick Marz - Veteran Español
Friday 13/09/2013, 17:18

I'm also experiencing around 80% of wins because opponents drop. They refused to be knocked out. I think this behavor must be penalized heavily
4/10
wasteroftime - Moderator - Open Casket English
Friday 13/09/2013, 18:06

Elo is for elo. not missions or bp

most competitive elo players want to reach their target score using as little time as possible.

if the win is secured with absolute certainty - most competitive players will leave the match and most competitive players would expect their opponent to leave the match

if the win is more or less secured that only a mistake by the opponent can turn it into a win --- many players wil quit, some will play one more round to see if their opponent recognizes the win -- if the opponent plays the next round right -- then quitting happens.
5/10
TheDoomBug - Legend - Limit Break English
Friday 13/09/2013, 20:56

And sometimes, players will quit even when they can win.

If your going for the ELO KO missions (the existence of which seems to show staff support for doing missions in ELO), then it's going to take some serious time. Don't get angry at the quitters, just keep going and getting the KOs from players that play all the way through.
6/10
Spikey 13 - Guru - lonely fighters English
Friday 13/09/2013, 21:01

+1 That's the attitude I have very recently resigned myself to too...
7/10
wasteroftime - Moderator - Open Casket English
Friday 13/09/2013, 21:45

Ill some times quit even if there is a chance i can win....

usually if the following conditions are met:
my unknown opponent is likely to win anyway and only a major mistake can lose it for him/her AND they are playing slow
my opponent is someone who i know is a skilled player and only a minor mistake can lose it for him her

if it looks likely that i will lose after 2 rounds -- ill play the 3rd round just to see if the opponent will make a mistake, no mistake = resign the match

if after 3 rounds i know i lost.... more often than not i will resign EXCEPT when my opponent is playing fast

its all about efficient use of time.

then again i have not really played elo since Frozn and Kalindra was in action. I have played about 45 matches this week to get a feel for Reprisal and Huracan bonus.
8/10
Kefalo - Legend - the shockwaves English
Saturday 14/09/2013, 00:26

Well thanks for clearing it up. I understand the 3rd round drops sort of, but I've seen people drop a lot of coinflips on the 3rd round. And I know I won a fair share of games by being right (or lucky) at 50/50, so when it's 10 points for win and -20 for loss, I wouldn't be as hasty to drop a game if there's a chance of squeezing a win.

And, err, winning 3/4 of my matches looks rather impossible (and that's the bare minimum for moving up 10 at a time). There's so much viable stuff that you can't (or I can't) not run into somethign that destroys me twice in a row. If I've got a split deck, all it takes is two guys drawing a hand with all the bonuses activated while I got a split hand OR two guys in a row drawing their strongest hand while I draw so-so and them not screwing it up horribly OR me walking into the exactly the perfect counter deck noone else is playing that ony destroys my own counter deck for the popular choices which got me to 1350 in the first place but the guy playing it only has it and plays it all the time. Or any combo of the three.

Sure I have massive lapses of concentration here and there, and make mistakes and stuff, but with progress being so slow and difficult I seriously doubt it comes to anything but luck of the draw after a while.
9/10
Kefalo - Legend - the shockwaves English
Saturday 14/09/2013, 00:42

A rather funny thing happened just today. I've reached 1350 for the third time this week, and all of a sudden I run into a bunch of guys metagaming with Bangers. I was, ofc, metagaming with Freaks/Pussycats and doing just fine having Splata and all that. But every time I ran into the Bangers I lost to them, so I figured I'd switch to that - they sure as hell didn't pick them to counter my deck since noone was playing it for all I know. All I've seen was an endless spam of Piranas/Nightmare/Junkz/Uppers/Sakhrom/GHEIST with a few Skeelz.

And then when GHEIST started being everywhere or something some guys started running Bangers. But all the guys who were runnign them drew Blaaster Cr, Bodenpower, Oshitsune and Artus when I played against them. Hapened like three or four times. I went and looked for a way to put togather a Bangers/Nightmare deck with the same cards, but any way you put it togather still ends up sucking unless you draw pretty much that hand. And even that hand wouldn't be a problem for my Olga - Splata - Diane - Clover or, even better, Shazam - Splata - Diane - Clover (less stars and I'd still win more often than not!) if I ever drew it against them.

Have that happen in 2-3 variations once and you need to win the next six games to be back where you were. Fun.
10/10
neo_08ms - Veteran - knights of oblivion English
Sunday 15/09/2013, 06:28

Bodenpower 5
Blaaster Cr 4
Bball 2
Graff 2 or Randal 3
Oshitsune 4
Artus 2
Azgroth 4 or Pan 3 if you use Randal
Eadh 2 or Phyllis 2

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals