Some questions regarding the meta

Saturday 14/09/2013, 20:58
express54321 - Guru English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
9 messages
express54321 - Guru - Dreams do come trueEnglish - Saturday 14/09/2013, 20:58

So, basically the meta is which clans are being used often that week?

How do you figure out what the current meta is?

Once you've found out what the meta is, how should you build your deck?

2/9
Kungfu Sock - Senior - Open Casket English
Sunday 15/09/2013, 00:30

The meta is more about which clans are strongest in a week, which often does mean they will get played the most.
The meta changed depending on a lot of factors. Primarily though, in Urban Rivals ELO mode, it is governed by ELO bans. New releases can also affect the meta-game along with the general rotation between clans that counter each other. As one is becoming overplayed, its counter will pick up.

The best way to find the meta is just to play games. You will soon notice the same clans and cards cropping up over and over again. You will find which cards are strong and make a big impact, by getting beaten by them.

As far as building a deck the first thing to go for are any clan staples or 'OP's'. From there normal deck building rules apply, go for a good balance of offensive and utility cards and build to your play style.

Huracan have dominated ELO recently but with Kinichaw , Noctezuma and probably soon El Divino ELO banned along with fewer Huracan releases the meta may shift.

There are some clans they remain strong no matter the meta. It is always useful to have a deck that remains strong to either fall back on or to help you find the meta if you haven't played for a while. Clans like Fang Pi Clang, Pussycats, Nightmare and Freaks halfs are always strong.

I hope this helps.
3/9
0 the oracle - Imperator - Open Casket English
Sunday 15/09/2013, 14:51

Finding the meta, basically comes down to finding the nukes of the game (Ongh, Eddie, Mechakolos), or really versatile cards with strong abilities (Uranus, Spiaghi, El Gascaro). Then you assess which clans are strong.

Huracan as said, is completely dominating ELO at the moment. Kinichaw and Noctezuma are really op, both will probably be banned. El Divino is actually completely fine, after the first round it is not a big threat.

In response to above post, kinda have to disagree. fpc, pussy, Nightmare are kinda average clans. I'd say the strong clans that always play a Mark in ELO are GHEIST, Roots, and probably Freaks too (with Olga out now).
4/9
Sunday 15/09/2013, 19:24

Yes sorry I forgot Ghiest, Roots have to many bans I think, you can only really make a good half with them. Pussycats bonus is always useful even when against stronger cards or clans and Nightmares Sob somewhat evens the playing field. Fpc have loads of solid cards and it doesn't matter to much if you over pill to get past a Huracan bonus as your paying for the extra damage.
I think it would be good to note to express54321 that all clans have their place in ELO and all are playable with a good deck and a little bit of luck/skill. You shouldn't try to hard to follow the meta if you don't enjoy playing it. This game is for fun and I personally prefer playing the 'underdogs'.
5/9
neo_08ms - Veteran - knights of oblivion English
Sunday 15/09/2013, 21:19

In yu-gi-oh terms -
Tier 1 -
Huracan = Dragon Rulers - Newest clan/deck, new clans always generally dominate the meta since they are still releasing cards and they don't get hit by the ban list as much having just started.
Pussycats = Prophecy - their -2 opp damage is a pain and they are just naturally strong.
Nightmare = Evilswarm. SOB is basically built around being anti-meta.
Tier 2 -
Freaks = Mermail/Atlantean - Poison you to death and all about calculations.
Fang Pi Clan = Six Samurai - High damage, and go for the ko, ignores most other things. SS being like field spam to ko as fast as possible.
Roots/GHEIST = Anti-meta - not as strong as SOB/Evilswarm, but able to hold out since you build to counter.
Tier 3 -
Jungo = DinoRabbit - Nuke. Get Ongh, gg. Same for Laggia in Rabbit.
6/9
Wakshaani - Titan English
Monday 16/09/2013, 06:30

Man, this week's ELO voting is a first.. There's, what, five luchadors banned? Six if you count the boss's on-again off-sgain state while his card gets fixed. That's a quarter of the clan, out. EVen the Roots are looking over the fence and going, "Maaaaaaaan, you guys got hit HARD, yo!"

Harsh.
7/9
JO3SHMO - Imperator - aussie crusaders English
Monday 16/09/2013, 07:19

People are obviously sick of Huracan. Other than El Matador and Wonder Lana who make appearances in Huracan halves, all the other go-to staples have been locked up.

The most interesting thing is that it's entirely due to player voting. 2 or 3 of them, yeah that's understandable until they get any permabans. But 5 bans for any one clan through the format election certainly makes a statement.
8/9
Haunches - Titan - The Bran Clan Español
Monday 16/09/2013, 20:03

Amen to the anti-Huracan sentiments. I enjoy the balance of the game, and I certainly enjoy that the players can regulate things if that balance gets thrown off. Maybe if the floodgates were let open and the other clans got some of their more powerful cards back, it would be all right. However, until staff gets a couple of permabans in place, the best way to keep ELO from turning into theHuracan showroom, is banning half the clan, election style. I looked at the list this week and smiled really big.

So, that being said, could it be time to Beef up the other clans a bit? I think so, anyway. The balance of the clans is tremendously important to the success of the game. How fun would paper scissors rock be if scissors could cut rock too?
9/9
Monday 16/09/2013, 23:51

I don't think there is any need to Beef up the other clans at all. Now that Huracan are getting their bans we are back to 'normal'. I hope UR staff can create more cares and more clans without having balancing issues again. I know it must be harder then we gamers think as a lot of game developers from all types of games struggle to make new content balanced. But I don't think because one clan is stronger you should make the others stronger, you will end up in a viscous cycle until all cards are 8 power with massive attack modifiers or 1hitk0 cards for all the clans, in other words, boring.

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals