Openings

Openings
Wednesday 21/01/2009, 16:10
XC 1984 - Titan English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
77 messages
Openings
XC 1984 - Titan - E X C A L I B U REnglish - Wednesday 21/01/2009, 16:10

Openings in games are very important. why this though because if you screw up your opening it could ruin your chances of winning and make it hard to win.

EVO opening- lets start with a bit of history EVO stans for evolution because back in the old days before the lost warehouse this was the play to get xp for the cards. so the combonation is like this 6pillz 0pillz 6pillz despite this being an old tactic this tactic can be still used in the game of Urban-rivals.

advantages- reliable especially with a card like Hawk (R). sets u up for 2hit kos.

disadvantages- if a person plays no pillz u are screwed. if a person does the same thing and wins u will have lost not only pillz but have at big hole in your life. dosen't work against Piranas at all with their annoying pill mulnipulation.

bluff- simply play no pillz

advantages- puts u at an almost certain advantage into the next game. if you play it right can deplete your oppenent of pillz.

disadvantages- can be predicted especially when u have a blocker in your hand. if someone plays 2-4 pillz (e.g Jackie (R) or Hawk (R)) it can considered as a loss.

high powered counterbluffing- playing a high powered card like Hawk (R) at 2pillz.

advantages- catches your oppenent out and makes him lose alot of life for only 2 pillz. if the oppenent pillz out at least u will be at an advantage next round.

continued
« Previous12345678Next »

61/77
k9-maki - Novice English
Monday 18/01/2010, 19:46

@Woxxx - lol couldn't you then use Petra no pillz?
62/77
Baronight - Imperator - X. LycurguS .X English
Thursday 21/01/2010, 02:27

The I-Do-No-Give-A-Crap Opening
random pill between using 2-4pills for each card (not using 1 pill, that's obvious)

Advantages:
- work well on Hugo+Montana, Rescue, any +/-attack manipulation
- work extremely well on high level player (you have to be high level as well)
- work well on DT
- too random to be predicted
- less drawback in case you lose (since you do not pill too much)

Disadvantages:
- piranah who work on same principle, random pill usage, remove +/-bonus
- player who never count attack and random pill

of all pill technique i've encounter, this prove to be the most challenging to fight against...
especially at high level when people think you only use 1-2pill or maybe none...
but in fact you just play it blindly...

at high level ELO non-random fight, i believe experienced player use their pill wisely
but due to that reason, they tend to count and predict your pill usage
they tend to judge your ability based on level...
they tend to judge the amount of time you spent in making move...
and all that precaution tend to slip the very basic idea that you just never count...

sound stupid...but the only time i lose to clan like Rescue and Montana+Hugo
is the time when i just predict too much of enemy movement,
making too much assumption of enemy bluffing with 0-2pill
63/77
(HAL) Lunto - Imperator Deutsch
Thursday 21/01/2010, 17:26

I recommend reading this thread to beginners as it can be really helpful to learn some basics. the opening fight of a battle decides the outcome in about 25% of the cases i guess, especially if +/- pillz or poison is involved, so it´s good to know that the old Timber ---------> 6 pillz-starting is over with and NOT fancy no more once you reach lvl 15.

very well written, good guide
64/77
LoA-Heitah - Senior English
Thursday 03/06/2010, 02:02

The amount of pills you spend on your opening is linked to hand you have. Freaks players tend to play heavy round 1 and 2 for the poison. Players often bluff or pill heavily on - pill cards. Players don't pill much when they have cards like Eklore and Morphun in their hand.

Rescue pill 2-4 each card.

But then there's players like me who pill strictly on predicting your opponent's pill use. This generally means you win by small margins or lose by small margins in the matchup. It's benefit is obvious, pill use is conservative (for the most part, unless you think they are pilling high and you want to win it anyway). This week I played Skeelz All Stars (Caelus was playable in elo this week) and my favorite move was a 5 pill Marina turn 1. Beat just about anything, and since the dmg is high enough people tend to pill against it, but if you lose, they do very little dmg. I also vote to ban Marina every week it seems lol.

In elo especially, the 5 star cards tend to receive higher pill use. Expect 1-3 pill use from 2 star cards, and expect 4-6 pill use from 4-5 star cards. (Only in elo)

Dmg reduction cards typically see 0-2 pill use. Most advanced players play 1 pill on a dmg reduction card because they win more fights than they should.
65/77
HipHoppa - Titan - Hip Hop Messiahz English
Thursday 01/07/2010, 23:47

Yeah, your opening really depends on your deck build. I like to pair a high pill clan (like Pirana, Jungo, Fang Pi, Freaks) with a low pill clan (like Uppers, Sakrohm, Junkz/Sentinels). Then you use lots of pills in rnd 1 and 2 but can still win in 3 and 4 with low pillz. Especially great cards to save for last: Skiner, Rowdy, Keanew, Mindy, Esmerelda, etc. These cards can win with no or 1 or 2 pillz, once your opponent has spent most of theirs.

Cards like Dahlia and Naginata have to be played first to be effective. I've found it wise to lead with 6-7 pillz on Dahlia, while 2 on Naginata is best. Dahlia can win most battles because she has SoB, but Naginata can be beat even when you pill high on her, and then you're screwed. Now, if your opponnet has SOA or damage reduction, then 3 or 4 pillz on these is the way to go.
66/77
HarionVincent - Guru English
Monday 02/08/2010, 17:28

Because i got so used to playing Pussycats, my opening play always involves conservative pill use. (unless i draw a poisoner, in which case i will almost always try to get the poison in) by not pilling a lot in the opening round, you will be able to count pills. also, get used to thinking in black jack terms. always assume that you'll get screwed.
possum baiting opening - pretend you're throwing away a card in the opening but slip a couple of pillz in. this strategy is good if you draw a hand with atk/pwr/pillz manipulators.
disadvantage: can't be used when opponent has cards in hand with devastating abilities (pill/life manipulation)
SOA no pillz opening - when the opponent have threatening abilities (+/1 pillz/life/opp life) they'll avoid the SOA and use other cards. you can then concentrate your pillz on beating their main card.
disadvantages: if the opponent card has high damage, you're screwed.
atk manipulator opening no pillz - don't pill an attack manipulator and watch as your opponent try to pill and beat them or just take the damage. either way, you will be at a life or pill advantage.
67/77
Cmeej - Veteran English
Sunday 19/12/2010, 21:33

I open 6pills on Chloe (depending on the deck, works VERY well with Ambre)
68/77
SVR Soul - Titan - survivor English
Sunday 27/03/2011, 18:02

I have 1 question : a blocker, is a card than kan reduce damages or a card than have a high power and who can beat big card with less pille (Lehane or Puff for exemple)
69/77
F L I P - Senior - TrAitorzZz English
Sunday 27/03/2011, 18:52

Lehane and Puff or the like aren't blockers..

they are walls.. high pow and low to mediocre damage.. usually 2-3 *s..

DRs are considered blockers.. main usage is to block and rarely attack..

both may be used to defend or attack depending on tactics..

and lastly the nukes or nukers.. high damage cards.. may it be raw damage or ability based..
usually 4-5 *s..
70/77
xknerx - Senior English
Sunday 10/04/2011, 22:36

Suggestion for nubs?

« Previous12345678Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals