Urban Rivals
?
Register            Already signed up to the game →  
Click here if you forgot your password.

Tournaments, Standard mode, what will happen?

Thursday 05/04/2012, 16:49
Euzebe - Legend English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
280 messages
Euzebe - Legend English - Thursday 05/04/2012, 16:49

Hello all,

After the (chaotic) release of the Standard mode and the first feedbacks, we have taken decisions on several things we want to let your know. We think you will be satisfied with the future improvements we will add first.

• Improvement of the quickbattle system in DTs.

We already made corrections, it seems that the small decks vs big decks problem is far less met. We will keep on working on it until the partition T1/T2 is not a problem any more.

• Penalties on some characters in DTs.

The first 2 points penalties per character are already operational and you can find the list here: http://www.urban-rivals.com/help/?category=9-0
Except for Leader, for the moment there are no penalized Standard characters. It may change, we give ourselves time to analyse DTs.

• DTs divided in two.

Finally we won’t alternate DT’s. We will let you have two DTs at the same time, 1 Standard, 1 Extended. With two different rankings.

• Length of a DT shorten but increase of its frequency.

DTs length will decrease from 1 hour to 45 minutes with a 15 minutes break between each tournament and then you can play again. It means there will be 24 Standard DTs and 24 Extended DTs per day.
To prevent abuses, a limitation of 8 DT credits per day and player will be added (you will receive all other rewards if you play more than 8 DTs).

Survivor Standard and Deathmatch Standard rooms.

They will be open soon, we are working on an update of the flash game.

Questions you may want to ask:

• The number of CR remain at 5. It might change in the future.
• A PM will be sent to you each evening if you made a top 150 during the day so as to inform you if you have won a collector (or not).
• The timer will be reduced from 60 to 50 seconds again.

Have fun
« Previous12...789101112...2728Next »

91/280
ghelas - Titan - The Trend English
Thursday 12/04/2012, 04:11

Waster, just curious... You don't feel that everyone who's been saying "let's create balance in Standard by removing a few cards that are completely overpowered" was proposing a solution? Because we've been hearing that for a long, long time. Most people seem to agree that it's a reasonable step to take, and that it's much more important than trying to define different modes of play through incentives.
92/280
wasteroftime - Moderator - Open Casket English
Thursday 12/04/2012, 05:11

Sure people proposed solutions... between the WAAAAA, and the this sucks, followed by solution proposal, followed by threats to rage quit. not really the constructive. Yes some of them were not like this... but dont think they were at the quality of zoid's due to his ability to actually critically evaluate the impact of his proposed changes

so you think balancing is enough??? and this is where i will disagree with you.. and this is where you will tell me im wrong???? notice the difference. i am wrong and i am spewing rubbish... but throughout all posts ive acknowledged the need for balance

balancing will NOT be enough. notice i dont say it wont work or it is a bad idea. feel free to disagree. Standard needs to offer us a different experience. Give us a different motivation to play. Splitting Extended DT and Standard DT is a step towards the right direction.

the bottom line is in the long term viability of any CCG, a format that uses a fluctuating and updating card pool is essential... how fluctuating it is arguable, but a static card pool is one step closer to the death of any CCG
93/280
0 Anderson - Titan English
Thursday 12/04/2012, 06:17

Can I have clarification of the purpose of Standard either than giving a new game mode?
94/280
Thursday 12/04/2012, 06:24

Umm purpose... the answer is 42

well basically yeah give us a new format to play... but i imagine it is UR experimenting with something that will allow them to plan how this game develops in the next few years. Im guessing they are trying to see if a viable format can develop using newer cards and phasing out older cards.
95/280
Thursday 12/04/2012, 11:55

"well basically yeah give us a new format to play... but i imagine it is UR experimenting with something that will allow them to plan how this game develops in the next few years. Im guessing they are trying to see if a viable format can develop using newer cards and phasing out older cards."

...And arbitrarily phasing IN some older cards that are painfully overpowered? To uh, facilitate game balance?

I think the "WAAAAAAAAAH/Ragequit" type reactions are fully justified. UR's development over the last year or so has shown a disturbing trend of trying to bamboozle players in some way.

-CR tombola has been removed and replaced with a slot machine with terrible odds. Despite numerous requests from the community, UR staff have not posted the odds anywhere.
-The concept of Standard is introduced in forums. Despite a whole lot of complaints, players are kept in the dark about the future of UR for a looooooooong time.
-Standard arrives, less broken than initially proposed, but still completely unstable. Meanwhile, free credit videos "mysteriously" disappear from the site with no notice or explanation. Many players are assuming at this point that this is done to "encourage" credit purchases so that players can keep up with the new mode.

Why have I been focusing more on complaints than constructive solutions?
Because I think the only real solution to UR's problems is for the developers to start treating us like customers, instead of a captive audience.
96/280
nnjabanditpig - Veteran - War Party English
Thursday 12/04/2012, 12:36

With both the t1 and t2 deck in extended I could play a 25 star deck and end up facing a 20 star hand... trust me it's happened. needs sorting out
97/280
-DustStorm- - Titan - Open Casket English
Thursday 12/04/2012, 13:42

@ghelas I dont quite agree with anything you're saying.

- The slot machine, whilst it may not be handing out clintz like candy, is certainly more helpful to newbies than Tombola ever was. Lets face the facts, the odds of winning Tombola weren't great, kinda like getting 3 Oscar heads, but with the new slot machine, we can still get Clintz from the less magnamious rewards. Slot Machine's 50 clintz, 100 clintz rewards are far more reliable, and can provide a good starting point to newbies, whereas the Tombola didn't really help the majority, and even its 100 clintz lucky number thing was hit and miss.
TL.DR? Slot machine is Newbie friendly

- Sure Standard is less than perfect atm, but these things need to be introduced so we can actually find the problems. Problems become more blatant with time

- And i think your view on 'free credits' is completely askew. (Also i think you can still watch them in sponsorpay, but thats a completely different matter). These free credit videos are a privilege, not a right. UR should't have to give out free packs every day to people, they're a company after all. (I had a friend who was getting like 50 creds a day...seriously 50?) UR is already excellent in giving its players complete access to the game without having to buy credits.
98/280
Thursday 12/04/2012, 17:18

@DustStorm:

UR staff are well within their rights to make any changes to the game. I'm just tired of feeling like these are done "on the sly," that the general philosophy seems to be to provide the illusion of choice for the players, rather than actually providing choice.

-With the old Tombola, we saw the value of the CR, the amount of people playing, and who ended up being the daily winner. With the Slot Machine, we don't see *anything.* We no longer get to make an educated decision about whether to play or not.

-Standard was pitched as something that would establish a new sort of balance, and would be newbie-friendly. Instead, Leaders, Caelus, Spyke, etc are running about, while a bunch of perfectly balanced cards are excluded. If the developers wanted to achieve the goals they stated, why would they allow Hugo and Ambre, who are known to be game-breaking?

-I would have preferred any approach to the credits being pulled all hush-hush, with such conspicuous timing. As stated in a previous post, if UR rolled out a small sale on credits to celebrate the arrival of Standard, I think they would have gotten a lot more business, including mine. I like to support good developers. I don't like feeling bamboozled.

You're free to draw your own conclusions, but I'd really like to see the staff treat the players with more honesty and respect.
99/280
Zoidberg1 - Legend - the courtyard of shadows English
Thursday 12/04/2012, 18:46

@ghelas / Duststorm

The slot machine odds mean that you should get slightly over 100 clintz for every 10 tickets you use it is in line with what you could expect from the Tombola (personally I prefered the tombola, but both give you a chance of getting something for pretty much just logging on)

I would expect that the sponsors whos adds where paying for the free credits decided that they were not value for money, which is not UR's fault so I don't see that as a real issue.

As for standard I was complaining about it before it was the done thing, but UR is going to try to give it a go so lets try help them improve it, problems are bein identified I hear that the opponent selection has improved from when it first came out and there are now a few cards penalised in extended, but a lot still needs to be fixed, I hope UR are Beta testing some improvements behind the scenes before putting them out.

As for the rage quit thing well I say people are entitled to do this but surely if they liked UR before they would be better off trying to get UR to see what issues are in the game and what improvements can be made, hence improving the game. If it stay as it and you don't like it then there is no point to stay, but lets at least give UR a chance to identify the best improvements programme them and test them, its not an over night process.

UR please can we have an update of potential changes as it should help relieve peoples frustrations at the current format.
100/280
Thursday 12/04/2012, 19:00

"UR staff are well within their rights to make any changes to the game. I'm just tired of feeling like these are done "on the sly," that the general philosophy seems to be to provide the illusion of choice for the players, rather than actually providing choice."

I think we as a population have bought too much into the idea that businesses are serving our own individual or small group needs. Every company is offering us an illusion of choice. Ones that do it well make us feel like the choice existed... when our choices have already been determined to be well within the parameter of what they want us to do. Maybe in this case you feel UR doesnt do a good enough job hiding the illusion... it doesnt mean that choice actually existed in your dealings with other companies though.

-With the old Tombola, we saw the value of the CR, the amount of people playing, and who ended up being the daily winner. With the Slot Machine, we don't see *anything.* We no longer get to make an educated decision about whether to play or not.

Tombola -- free. Slots -- free. These free things didn't always exist. I always love the post that criticize free stuff. Seeing a list of 3 Oscar winners would be good though.

-Standard was pitched as something that would establish a new sort of balance, and would be newbie-friendly. Instead, Leaders, Caelus, Spyke, etc are running about, while a bunch of perfectly balanced cards are excluded. If the developers wanted to achieve the goals they stated, why would they allow Hugo and Ambre, who are known to be game-breaking?

Yep having Leaders and big cards in there bad idea. Being only a DT format atm also makes life heal and dr cards a bit of a non-option for competitive play. Easily fixed. Games need to be played. Until a meta develops showing statistics on card use, win rates, broken decks, fixes are a bit too reactive at this early stage. Format has to mature a little bit. Leaders were not always seen as broken... it was only after card came out to make them deadlier and they were ELO banned that the attitude changed about them. Heal cards and Protection power cards came out since Caelus was released... they allow us to cope vs him now.. how well??? only way to find out is to play lots. Balancing needs to happen and will at some point happen. We just need to rack up games to develop the meta first.

-I would have preferred any approach to the credits being pulled all hush-hush, with such conspicuous timing. As stated in a previous post, if UR rolled out a small sale on credits to celebrate the arrival of Standard, I think they would have gotten a lot more business, including mine. I like to support good developers. I don't like feeling bamboozled.

this has conspiracy theory written all over it. Advertisers need to approve this cause it costs them money to run those ads... that is not under UR control. We don't know the details.
but video credits = free. they didn't always exist. Again, i love criticisms of free stuff

« Previous12...789101112...2728Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals