ELO is not broken (a magical rant)

Monday 29/10/2012, 23:56
ghelas - Admin English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
76 messages
ghelas - Admin - The TrendEnglish - Monday 29/10/2012, 23:56

I hear a lot of complaints about ELO mode these days, what with cards like Kalindra and Askai roaming free.
I think these come from people focusing too much on cards that are individually strong and not enough on which cards have good synergy. Right now, building a good ELO deck is a fun puzzle. Which cards are banned this week? What can I do to counter the strong cards that aren't banned? While everyone is busy complaining, I am having the time of my life.

Let's take a look at Kalindra (the card people complain about most) and then take a look at some possible half-decks in two different clans, FPC and Pussycats. Think about using Fei, Chan, Shifou, and Zhu Tang -- three of those cards can easily beat Kalindra pill-for-pill, and the forth lets you threaten a fairly big life-per-damage gap of your own. Think about using Clover, Charlie, Lucy, and Ella in a Pussycats half-deck... All of these reduce Kalindra's damage so hard, that it's impossible for her to be the huge threat she usually is.

I think the definition of "OP" in this game is starting to change. When most players say a card is "OP" they now mean "I have to work to counter this card, and I don't wanna." A card that forces you right out of your comfort zone and into a creative deck you would have never tried otherwise is *good,* both for you and for UR. IMO, you can complain, or you can step up your deck-building game. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,
14/4 with an Ulu/Vortex deck so far this week.
« Previous12345678Next »

61/76
DUC-j00p - Titan - Dutch Urban Crew English
Tuesday 06/11/2012, 21:29

4 tyds 4 Hawkins
62/76
KillerYuri - Hero - PokiMaBuoni English
Wednesday 07/11/2012, 00:11

@DUC-j00p 8

no , that's 24 stars
63/76
Wednesday 07/11/2012, 00:17

4 Tyd 4 Hawkins? Then the next challenger comes with 8 Askai, take it
64/76
Wednesday 07/11/2012, 02:36

4 Baba 4 Puff?

i just meant that its possible, not very likely xD

on the op card thingy:

i agree with ghelas, you need to work around those cards, its certainly possible, just like you had/have to work around soa clans. put 1 or 2 stop cards in, or make a deck thats good vs soa by itself, or face the disadvantages

people call Askai/Troompah op, but they werent used as much before Jean came out.
same thing with blaaster , till Beeboy came.
my point is, individually, cards are not op, clans are op.
65/76
ghelas - Admin - The Trend English
Wednesday 07/11/2012, 03:33

I think that even the "OP" clans have their downfalls.

Jungo gap is significantly weakened by SoB. If SoB clans had a few more round-winners (as I suggested in an earlier rant) Askai decks would not be running wild. As it is, a SoB half deck makes Jungo much less dangerous.

Beeboy and co. don't do so well against the steadily growing army of heavy Pussycat DR. Copying Pussycat bonus is not something Beeboy ever wants to do, and both his and Blaaster's damage is pretty unimpressive when facing a good Pussycat half-deck.

I feel like the trick to ELO is to figure out what the good players are running around Thursday or so -- it will either be power decks with unbanned cards or decks that counter them. Then try to build a deck that counters the power decks AND the counter decks. Simple, right?
66/76
Wednesday 07/11/2012, 17:07

@DUC-j00p

Are you really so crazy to think that 4 Baba 4 Puff can beat 8 Askai? maybe once in 100 times
I laughed
67/76
Thursday 08/11/2012, 01:31

It depends on who is playing
you said a 6 year old child, i think i could win 1/20 or 30
maybe a very skilled player can win 1/10 or even more

i also said it was very unlikely
i should correct myself, very very unlikely

but this is a pointless discussion cause the ppl m-bison faced didnt used those decks.
68/76
0_4DPaladin - Veteran English
Thursday 22/11/2012, 02:48

DUC, you can't deny Bison kicks ass.
69/76
D3ath the Kid - Hero - Open Casket English
Monday 03/11, 04:28

"@4D Paladin:
I think M-Bison unintentionally played a great trick on you. Instead of explaining in detail, I invite you to play Rock-Paper-Scissors with 17 people, and try to win 15 of those games. You will see for yourself how completely inaccurate the comparison is.

The fact is that without a huge element of skill, a 15/17 series is just statistically impossible. UR allows for more than an RPS approach: if you have a good deck and playstyle, you can try to figure out the "safest" strong move -- that is, one that does not significantly reduce your chances for victory even if your opponent happens to read it pill-for-pill, but creates a significant advantage if it works as intended. Learning to play like that is the key to a Top 100 score without excessive grinding. "

17C15 (.5)^15 (.5)^2 = 0.001038 = 0.1% chance of that happening

That's actually pretty damn possible. Checkmate.
70/76
D3ath the Kid - Hero - Open Casket English
Monday 03/11, 06:38

Did the math, and P(x=15 wins) = 17C15 (.5^15)(.5^2) = 0.001038

So that's a 0.1% chance, which means Bison is a god.

« Previous12345678Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals