Let's talk about Roots

Let's talk about Roots
Monday 04/06/2012, 18:21
ghelas - Titan English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
19 messages
Let's talk about Roots
ghelas - Titan - The TrendEnglish - Monday 04/06/2012, 18:21

I hear a lot of people complaining about Roots. All. The. Time. "Roots haven't had a good release in so long, Roots are an outdated clan, Roots are useless now that Arno is banned..." Quite frankly, I find it confusing.

The way I see it, Roots are a top-notch ELO clan. They still have Yookie and Jeena (I don't think I need to explain how powerful SoA DRs are, do I?) a whole lot of solid 3* cards, and a couple of bruisers that could single-handedly determine the course of the game by winning any round (Gretchen, Ojibway.) All they need is any good 2* DR splashed instead of Arno... In fact, I think the fact that more people are figuring this out is the only reason Spiaghi is banned so often these days!

My question is, are these complaints just coming from players that don't know their way around ELO, or is there some legitimacy to them?
« Previous12Next »

2/19
UM_AaaBattery - Moderator - URBAN MADNESS English
Thursday 07/06/2012, 17:41

I also find that Roots are usable. Most of the moans are about them not having a release in a while.
3/19
ghelas - Titan - The Trend English
Friday 08/06/2012, 03:45

I've actually heard people saying stuff like "they're not useable in ELO anymore, we should have an event where the value of Roots cards is refunded"

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks Roots still got it!
4/19
-DustStorm- - Titan - Open Casket English
Friday 08/06/2012, 06:47

Roots are certainly still viable. The problem is they're stale, they haven't really seen anything new since Gretchen, and before Gretchen? Well i don't really remember that far. All they've gotten 'recently' are two 3* which are useless, thus Roots sees so little variety in what it can field.
5/19
subclavianHoA - Imperator - Harbingers of Ares English
Friday 08/06/2012, 10:35

Roots are usable, if you enjoy using the exact same cards you used 3~4 years ago (minus those that have been banned since then). Seriously, either give them some new cards or just Cr the whole clan and be done with it.
6/19
0 Atlas - Veteran - URBAN MADNESS English
Friday 08/06/2012, 11:15

I let Roots do the talking :
Dark Rasta Trip
§Top?IsSoEasy§
7/19
K1NG_PWN4GzZz - Titan - TrAitorzZz English
Friday 08/06/2012, 15:42

The problem with Roots and playing versus Roots is what -DustStorm- says
and because of that, you're facing the same deck over and over and over and over
and that's quite boring, for the player facing you, but also when playing with Roots..

If you look at the Nightmare clan, who received a lot of new cards, they have an entire new "look" if you will
and can create real scary decks.. Same goes for other clans like Pussycats as well..
These are overlooked, because once upon a time, someone invented a card like Yookie and it's played to the fullest..
why??

because even new powers like protection damage do nothing for you versus SOA DR..
Landing Gretchen with or without Fury and having Jeena and Yookie in the same hand is no small feat, but once landed, the game's over..

I guess that the staff is reluctant in releasing newer Roots cards for 2 reasons
- Releasing crappy cards, to downgrade their dominance results in moaning and bickering (check the bio for the Ld's card)
- Releasing OP cards to satisfy the needs of the crowd will result in elo bans, imba stuff and what not..

So Roots are in an impasse and it will take a strong gamedesigner to get them out
and "au contraire" to popular belief.. I think UR is well up to the task and already on it..
which might explain why we haven't seen any releases for some time...

Might be the first official cla re-release
Might be really awesome!

I'll have mine with awesomesauce please!!
8/19
KitsuneKatsumi - Titan - XiongDang English
Friday 08/06/2012, 17:56

Roots have really been recently neglected and also there are more characters with better base stats (8 power, especially 4* 8 power 5 damage like Heitachi, Jakson and Eebiza), plus the popularity of +/- attack bonus clans since ELO changed to 14 life that also give Roots problems, and the release of quality SOA characters in many clans. These issues have also made GHEIST less popular and one of Roots' best selling points was their ability to dominate the GHEIST matchup.

Roots have had some great releases in the past year.Gertjan and Gretchen are both well above curve, and much more quality releases than GHEIST's recent gains (Klawz is ok...).

SOA has been weakened, and it is fair to see this as improving the ELO experience when the SOA clans are not top tier. It would be very easy to make Roots top tier by unbanning Arno and Ratanah. Yes the Roots bans are escessive and unfair but ELO is more enjoyable when Roots and GHEIST are midtier rather than top tier.
9/19
-- Hades -- - Hero English
Friday 08/06/2012, 22:55

I love playing Roots... they work for me until about 1300 when all the annoying clans start to appear... They're not the best, they're not the worst.

Fyi, Craho isn't that bad It's just the damn 2*s I have trouble with. Not to win with, but the fact they're only 2 damage unless you're brave (or stupid?) enough to use Walden. Which I'm not.
10/19
Treedroid - Veteran - Yami No Guild English
Friday 08/06/2012, 23:07

Roots are not bad, or useless, they are, however, too balanced. And I feel they lack wowing 5*

Lots of three star slots , lots of similar abilities, life manipulation and attack manipulation.
They need some bluffable, strong banned and sometimes unbanned cards like Spyke, Askai, Harrow Ld, etc
a new, unbanned, slightly op(?) 5* and some stategy, I feel they lack strategy, strong bluffs, pillz manipulation, etc. I think they're predictable.

« Previous12Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals