Problems with tournament settings

Tuesday 18/03/2008, 00:16
kilantolshi - Imperator English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
24 messages
kilantolshi - Imperator English - Tuesday 18/03/2008, 00:16

I'm certain many players have noticed, but 1st place tends to accrue around 300 battle points in a tournament.
I have a lot of trouble believing this as I am continually finding players who ignore my challenge (let it time out, wasting 1-2 minutes of play time) or even worse, they accept and then let the battle almost time out before making their move, each move.
I for one am sick and tired of these players whose sole purpose is to stop those who aren't friends/guildmates from placing high in tournaments. Their actions are making it so this game has less appeal for those who actually play. They are a problem and their actions need to be dealt with or countered in some way.

The difficulty is in how to do this. So here is what I propose. We find a way that us (as the players) can agree to as a majority to reduce the unfairness of these players. We then petition Urban Rivals to enact the agreed to changes in a future update.

So how can we decrease these unfair practices? I have three viable ideas myself (and would gladly look over any additional opinions from other players)

Options located in below post
« Previous123Next »

2/24
Tuesday 18/03/2008, 00:50

When responding it would be appreciated if you place a vote now for which option you would like petitioned for.
Any player who places a vote agrees to have their name placed on the petition for the area they voted on.
Here are the options I figure would be fairest:

option 1: add a new tournament room which is reduced time (1/2 time for challenge acceptance and each match choice)

option 2: add an option for players to select how fast they wish to play a match (either the fastest time play or average time between the two opponents would be what the match is played at.)

option 3: allow players to blacklist other players. Doing so would make blacklisted player's fairness rating show BLACK and will give an auto-refusal if a blacklisted player challenges you.

option 4: you agree that changes need to be made but the above choices are too much/too little.

option 5: you are one of the unfair players and/or see no reason to change the current settings.
3/24
Zeppelin WMD - Veteran English
Tuesday 18/03/2008, 01:06

As much as I'd hate to say it, it's part of the game.
if they do do something about the tournaments, they might as well put a non-random tourney room.
4/24
Capn Clintz - Titan English
Tuesday 18/03/2008, 01:06

If they want to take their time its up to them. Even if you get the time cut in half it just means the people getting 300 will get 600, while the people who would wait, will still wait just not as long.
5/24
Nintendan WMD - Titan - Wise Men Distracted English
Tuesday 18/03/2008, 01:47

Its part of the game it is called ............LUCK I've got to 300 lots of time heres what you do site there don't challenge people let them chanllenge you and most the time if they challenge you they want to fight and will not time out.
6/24
breakpoint - Hero English
Tuesday 18/03/2008, 02:23

Well, the reason for the merging of rooms was to solve a very big problem regarding low-level players buying powerful cards, playing them in low-level rooms, and getting high points from battling noobies (where BPoints can reach up to 380-400)

I know it's very frustrating especially during tournament hours, but that's just how the game goes. Your suggestions are good but at the end of the day, it all really depends on the players. Unfair palyers will remain unfair even if you change the rules.

There could also be other factors that may cause "snailing" of the game like slow internet connection speeds.

i really agree with Capn Clintz. Cutting the time in half means that those players who get high points will only double their earnings.
7/24
0- JP - Titan - † OVER KILL † English
Tuesday 18/03/2008, 02:32

Option 5, wakokoko!
8/24
LOA_PuppyChow - Guru - Legends of America English
Tuesday 18/03/2008, 02:33

Yeah, basically it's called Luck, as Nintendan WMD so Eloquently stated.
some times, you get stuck with a lot of Time outs, other times, a lot of easy players, and no time outs or time takers.

I've played in over 13 games in a single tournament, if you win em all and average 20 points a game, that's easily 260
and some times you can win up to 30 points in a single game, and other times you can play over 16 games in a tournament.

so it's possible to get it, you just can't make any mistakes, and you can't find yourself in an unwinnable situation.
9/24
Tuesday 18/03/2008, 03:18

While you each make some valid points there are also a few invalid points. I have also reached the 300 Mark. once. I won 24 battles, no pauses, no refusals, each battle took less than 2 minutes (obviously) that means the challenge acceptance/match rounds were going at about 20-30 seconds per... about 1/4-1/2 of normal pace, so no, cutting the time in half will not double the high end scores and will in fact bring up many of the lower end players.

Also, as for Nintendan's comment that people who challenge you will fight... yes, this is normally true, however 1/5 challengers tend to stop fighting and time out (or let time run down) once it becomes apparent they have no chance of winning. once again causing the problem of slowing things down.

As such these problems need to be addressed, and if us, the players, won't speak up and say there's a problem then the problem and it's abusers will persist.
10/24
TnT_MeRm - Moderator - TRiNiTY English
Tuesday 18/03/2008, 03:27

1st of all, you cant generalize slow players like that. You also need to consider that they might have a very slow connection at their place (of course in every rule there is an exception). Slow players are part of the game, i personally think that they make UR interesting. Why? simply because with them you will have the encouragement to prove that whatever they do to stop you from getting a good place in the tourney you can still WIN! a victory is sweet when it is hard earned. Though, i agree with what you are saying in general, it is very unfair for serious players to face these kind of players. It will be nice if they (the game maker/s) establish a way to figure out which players are doing the slowness and/or time-out intentionally. That way they can handle the situation properly.

For option 1 & 2 - i think what you are saying is basically the same. yeah it will be nice to have less the time that there is now since it wont take you that long to choose a card anyway.

Continuation on the other post...

« Previous123Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals