Urban Rivals
?
Register            Already signed up to the game →  
Click here if you forgot your password.

Would: Copy Opp Ability, Be Overpowered?

Sunday 22/07/2012, 04:32
1san - Imperator English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
62 messages
1san - Imperator - Black Sea PiranasEnglish - Sunday 22/07/2012, 04:32

So typically, we've had Coppy opp bonus for quite awhile.

It's really a great ability and I'm quite pleased with it. There's just two thing on my mind now; Will Copy Opp Ability ever come, and will it be overpowered once it's here?

So firstly, will it come?

If we follow some old trends...I'd say it's likely!
Here are some examples of abilities that complement each other;
Poison VS Heal
Stop opp ability VS "Stop"
Courage Vs Revenge
- Opp Damage Vs - Opp Life
+ Attack Vs - Attack
- Power VS + Power
+ Pillz Vs - Pillz

And then the one that really makes me think we aren't to far away from Coppy opp Ability: + Life per damage and then after quite some time, Sah Brinak brought us the fabled + Pillz per damage.

So in a nutshell there is a high chance it'll come, but on the the matter of it be to ridiculous to add.

Imagine a typical run of the mill Fang Pi Clang card with; 6 power and 6 damage, then followed up with Coppy Opp Ability.

Now let me run you by some scenarios:

Vs Copper = Potential 11/10
Vs Nobrodroid = 6/10 able to get +4 Pillz
VS Avola = Potential 6/14 !!!
Vs Oscar = Potential 10/10
Vs Sah Brinak = 6/10 and could recover 7 pillz back subtracting the furry
Vs Karrion = 6/8 + the 2 poison means massively dangerous(Ends games fast)
Vs Kenny = Potential 6/24!!!!!!!
Vs Kolos = Potential 6/14
Vs Uranus = Turns into a 6/5 with the ability to stop Uranus in it's tracks
Vs Sasha = Potential 6/10 with +16

Ect...

So is this balanced or not? What do you think?
« Previous1234567Next »

21/62
hutson01134 - Guru - wicked souls English
Monday 23/07/2012, 05:06

Eh, I think CoA is too over powered. CoB is fine because bonuses are typically weaker then abilities. However, when you add CoA, cards that rely on their ability (Tula, Nellie, Mark) will get crushed again. Plus, the Skillez (or however you spell it) will have little defense against something like this. As mentioned before, the SoA clans will get even more powerful (which is a good thing for GHEIST players like me).
22/62
D Cr - Senior English
Tuesday 24/07/2012, 13:53

Skeelz will die from it .
The only thing I can think for it to be viable of is that protections would block Copy in the future or just underpower the cards using it .

I wanna see CoB as a clan bonus >"
23/62
1san - Imperator - Black Sea Piranas English
Tuesday 24/07/2012, 19:51

LOL maybe they could change Skeelz ability from the current one: The Ability of Skeelz can not be blocked while the Protection: Ability Bonus is activated.

To:The Ability of Skeelz can not be blocked nor copied while the Protection: Ability Bonus is activated.
24/62
Lollop Cr - Imperator - HKG English
Wednesday 25/07/2012, 05:23

What i am thinks is mono deck cannot stop cob but any deck can stop coa
most of the time people tend to have some card with no ability or stop card
so to avoid having problem against soa

cards like Dorian Tyd
or very weak ability Gaia

so i do not think cob is too overpower

yes protecting could change to cannot stop nor copy
25/62
ghelas - Titan - The Trend English
Wednesday 25/07/2012, 06:09

I really think people shouting "it would be OP" don't quite get it. This isn't going to pull amazing, overpowered abilities from thin air. It will only use abilities that are already in the game. That means as long as the card doesn't have completely overpowered stats, it would be *very similar to drawing the actual card that has that ability.* All it does is makes cards more flexible. Flexible cards are not inherently overpowered.

Look at Futoshi Ld. His Copy Bonus allows him to beat some of the most powerful cards in the game (like Dorian) pill for pill. Does that make him overpowered? Nope. Because there will be times when he is fighting Skeelz, GHEIST, Roots, Pussycats (let's face it, 2 DR on a 4 star with decent damage is only marginally useful.) There will be times when you need to use him against Freaks late in the game, or against Frozn, even though you won last turn. And, of course, you might need to use him to fight against a card that didn't draw bonus.

It's going to be the same with Copy Ability. There will be times when you have no choice but to copy an ability that's just not ideal with your stats, or not at all useful in the particular game you're playing... There will be times when you copy conditional abilities that don't trigger (Courage/Revenge/Defeat.) I would say a 7/4 3* in clans other than Montana or Rescue would be fine with this ability. Yep, there would be times when it wins the game for you... But not more so than other good cards.
26/62
Wolfwitness - Hero English
Wednesday 25/07/2012, 16:57

Fixit's Ability (Protection: Power and Damage) used to be considered to be overpowered when he first came out. But once more cards with the ability got into the game (Lola Noel, Desmond, Lena, Mantiz, Benicio and Buckler) no one even batted an eye over them.
I'm pretty it'll be the same with COA, once the hype and novelty wear off it's just another ability.
27/62
Tansur - Guru - The Trend English
Wednesday 25/07/2012, 17:35

I agree with ghelas. When you face an SoA your opponent tries to maneuver it to fight your strongest ability, while you try to maneuver it to face your weakest, or least useful (in that fight) ability. The same would go with CoA. It's not like when your opponent plays its CoA that you are compelled to use your big gun amazing ability card. If anything the CoA ability would be another match steering ability that you use to attempt to cut down your opponents options.

Also, think about how many abilities it would be poor against: CoA (if it existed), SoA, damage = opp damage (since card with this ability tend to have low damage), power = opp power, no ability, DR. Maybe more, but I can't think of them right now.

In fact, a lot of cards that are great are great because of the synergy of their ability, bonus and stats, which could be completely thrown off by CoA. I would expect that matchups with CoA cards would fall into three categories; CoA card ends up under powered, CoA card ends up about equally powered, CoA card ends up OP. So keep in mind that for every Caelus Cr you face, you'll likely have faced two (or more since the opp wants to keep you weak) cards that made you mediocre at best.That seems too shaky to be OP.

I doubt this would increase how much we see SoA clans, and I doubt it would cause for an influx of OP cards. I do think, on the other hand, that it could introduce a very interesting new avenue for forcing your opponent's hand, increasing strategic play.
28/62
Ken HK - Master - - Nightmare International - English
Wednesday 25/07/2012, 18:32

- Life VS + Life
- Damage VS + Damage
- Attack VS + Attack
- Power VS + Power
- Pillz VS + Pillz
Confidence: VS Revenge:
Courage: VS Strike Back:
Defeat: VS Backlash:
Stop: VS SOA
Poison VS Heal
Support: VS Alone: LOLz!

Copy Ability is OP, using my Kolos will be suicide against "Copy Opp. Ability" especially 8 Power 6 Damage card with COA
That's 8/12 without fury against Kolos. 8 x 13 = 104 Attacks holy sheeeet~!! 1 Hit K.O.
29/62
DeepEnd - Imperator - Limit Break English
Thursday 26/07/2012, 00:28

"Copy Ability is OP, using my Kolos will be suicide against "Copy Opp. Ability" especially 8 Power 6 Damage card with COA"

This is a joke right? ...

If Kolos would be suicide, then you use it on the 2 turns when you know its NOT suicide. Meditate on that Kolos-boy.
30/62
subclavianHoA - Imperator - Harbingers of Ares English
Thursday 26/07/2012, 05:57

There's no such thing as overpowered abilities....only overpowered cards

SOA isn't overpowered....but on Jackie Cr it is
-opp power isn't overpowered....but on Spyke it is
+life per damage isn't overpowered....but on kalindra it is

So the real question is, do we trust the UR staff to make COA cards and *not* mess it up?

« Previous1234567Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals