A bit more than three weeks ago we presented our Standard format project. After having read your comments we changed the way to implement it. No need to go back over the previous version of this project (you can read the 700 and more comments if you wish), I'm going to talk about the final version.
The goal is still the same : offer a scalable and restrictive format.
Today, we have to many playable characters in each clan. New players are lost with all these options while paradoxically, old players own the best characters but always play with the same ones. With the Standard format, we want to offer to the new and old players a more restrictive environment if they wish, with less options in each clan but more often renewed.
What will we do?
1/ Create a list of characters called "Standard" which will be reset half-yearly. In this list you'll find all characters (and LD too) released within the three last years before the update, Leaders, starter deck characters and characters released after the update. You'll find 13 to 16 characters in each clan. New clan will keep all their characters.
2/ We will create a new deck format:
Standard format: Standard characters only, 40 stars max., no double.
3/ T1 and T2 will be renamed in Extended and Extended 25.
Extended format: all characters are allowed, 40 stars max. no double, equivalent to the current T2.
Extended 25 format: Extended characters, 25 stars max., no double, equivalent to the current T1.
4/ Several changes will be made on the DT.
- The timer will be significantly reduced for all DT matches. From the first match you'll have the same timer as the one you have now above 100 points.
- We will create a list of penalized characters in DT which will be independent from the list of ELO banned characters. The rule will probably remain the same: -2 points for each penalized character un your 4 characters team. We might change the penalty in the future if necessary.
- T1 and T2 room will be merged in one single room Extended Fights. To allow you to play with 15 to 40 stars decks, the battle system will make you face opponents with similar decks. The DTs will always be in this room.
- There will always be a DT every other our but alternately with the two rooms, Extended and Standard. it means there will be a DT one hour out of 4 in the Extended room and the same in the Standard room.
- We will randomly give a collector to players ranked in the top 150 in DTs. We didn't decide the exact number of collectors yet nor the rules of the draw but we're thinking about 5 collectors a day.
I insist on the fact that with the system of matches against similar decks (which already exists on T1 and T2 rooms) you'll be able to build competitive decks with a small number of stars as you'll always face similar decks. Le big difference is that 25 stars decks will face slightly bigger decks and 26 stars decks will face slightly smaller ones. It doesn't happen now because of the rooms limits which don't match with the way DT decks are built.
5/ We will create two new battle rooms.
- Deathmatch Standard: just like the current DM T2 but with Standard decks.
- Survivor Standard: just like the current Survivor T2 but with Standard decks.
6/ We will also make some minor changes as:
- new packs in the shop with Standard characters only.
- sorting options in the collection to only see Standard characters.
- changes in the theme decks (we are still thinking about it).
- minor changes in the visuals of cards to make Standard characters easier to recognize.
You may notice that ELO won't change at all, the same for DM or Survivor rooms. Of course the Fight Club and the Warehouse won't change either.
About the deadline, with all these changes we cannot be sure it will be released on March. We are working on this project and we want to release it quickly but I can't give a date but it should be implemented before this summer.
You can post comments or send emails here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and have fun!
Let me say this
I applaud UR for making the right decision
it's a win-win situation
if I want to play T1 then I have place for it
if I want to try standard 25 then I could do it in another room
switching between T1 and standard 25 for DT also a very clever move (yes a very clever move. i said it twice because it is a really good move)
people who like to play DT T1 can do so, it won't hurt to change deck every other hour
for people like me who prefer to use old deck, then there is T1, but it's every 4 hours instead of every 2 hours
changing to 3 years also the right moves. i think most of the clans will get good coverage (I remember many excellent cards in past 3 years)
adding CR to DT?? yes please. let me say this. I would play DT competitively again (after 3 years not playing competitively)
a suggestion: adding better CR to standard 25 might make people more willingly to play the standard 25
I'm just a little bit concern about standard packs. will it gonna flood the market with new cards?
I don't know, I'm thinking older cards would become more expensive than the newer one if this implemented (I might be wrong though)
but all in all, very good moves UR. you guys address most of people's concern about standard
@ Tanto89 : You don't need to worry that much about the new pack with standard cards. Today the most popular pack, by far, is the New Blood and I'm confident that won't change in the futur, this pack is already 100% standard, and it makes sense because people who buy cards usually want to get the new ones. The new pack will adress the specific needs of people who don't necessarily want the latest cards but want to get standard compatible cards, mostly new players I think.
" - minor changes in the visuals of cards to make Standard characters easier to recognize. "
I suggest you add something like the current ELO ban marker/icon on cards, something like an S marker/icon in the right corner so that even if the card is the card is Standard-eligible but also ELO-banned. That would make Standard cards easy recognizable and I sincerely think it`s the best option.
Other than that, the change is now totally worthy of us looking forward to it. Everything sounds genuinely reasonable now. Good job
Just adding my kudos. Most of us are well aware how many hundreds of emails and suggestions you folks probably received (and probably more than a couple insults, too). As far as I can see, while not every idea was used, every _concern_ was addressed, in one way or another. Comprehensive, moderate and progressive.
Thank you, as always, for re-affirming that the staff bears a commitment not just to the success of the game, but the concerns of the players.