A bit more than three weeks ago we presented our Standard format project. After having read your comments we changed the way to implement it. No need to go back over the previous version of this project (you can read the 700 and more comments if you wish), I'm going to talk about the final version.
The goal is still the same : offer a scalable and restrictive format.
Today, we have to many playable characters in each clan. New players are lost with all these options while paradoxically, old players own the best characters but always play with the same ones. With the Standard format, we want to offer to the new and old players a more restrictive environment if they wish, with less options in each clan but more often renewed.
What will we do?
1/ Create a list of characters called "Standard" which will be reset half-yearly. In this list you'll find all characters (and LD too) released within the three last years before the update, Leaders, starter deck characters and characters released after the update. You'll find 13 to 16 characters in each clan. New clan will keep all their characters.
2/ We will create a new deck format:
Standard format: Standard characters only, 40 stars max., no double.
3/ T1 and T2 will be renamed in Extended and Extended 25.
Extended format: all characters are allowed, 40 stars max. no double, equivalent to the current T2.
Extended 25 format: Extended characters, 25 stars max., no double, equivalent to the current T1.
4/ Several changes will be made on the DT.
- The timer will be significantly reduced for all DT matches. From the first match you'll have the same timer as the one you have now above 100 points.
- We will create a list of penalized characters in DT which will be independent from the list of ELO banned characters. The rule will probably remain the same: -2 points for each penalized character un your 4 characters team. We might change the penalty in the future if necessary.
- T1 and T2 room will be merged in one single room Extended Fights. To allow you to play with 15 to 40 stars decks, the battle system will make you face opponents with similar decks. The DTs will always be in this room.
- There will always be a DT every other our but alternately with the two rooms, Extended and Standard. it means there will be a DT one hour out of 4 in the Extended room and the same in the Standard room.
- We will randomly give a collector to players ranked in the top 150 in DTs. We didn't decide the exact number of collectors yet nor the rules of the draw but we're thinking about 5 collectors a day.
I insist on the fact that with the system of matches against similar decks (which already exists on T1 and T2 rooms) you'll be able to build competitive decks with a small number of stars as you'll always face similar decks. Le big difference is that 25 stars decks will face slightly bigger decks and 26 stars decks will face slightly smaller ones. It doesn't happen now because of the rooms limits which don't match with the way DT decks are built.
5/ We will create two new battle rooms.
- Deathmatch Standard: just like the current DM T2 but with Standard decks.
- Survivor Standard: just like the current Survivor T2 but with Standard decks.
6/ We will also make some minor changes as:
- new packs in the shop with Standard characters only.
- sorting options in the collection to only see Standard characters.
- changes in the theme decks (we are still thinking about it).
- minor changes in the visuals of cards to make Standard characters easier to recognize.
You may notice that ELO won't change at all, the same for DM or Survivor rooms. Of course the Fight Club and the Warehouse won't change either.
About the deadline, with all these changes we cannot be sure it will be released on March. We are working on this project and we want to release it quickly but I can't give a date but it should be implemented before this summer.
You can post comments or send emails here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and have fun!
This alteration to standard is one of the most heartening responses to player input I've seen in long time, and as stated before the new system seems to fix every flaw in the original and makes standard seem like a forward thinking and promising mode. I applaud UR for its consideration and willingness to adapt, and look forward to trying the new standard a shot once it sees implementation.
I can fully support this project, just one question: what about "Extended 25 format: Extended characters" is it going to be a new list of characters justo for t1 or is it kind of a mistake?
Concerning the CRs for DT it's a great idea. 5 is a fair number per day. You could also add some Rare cards to it. It would be nice if you'd get something like lottery tickets per each DT played dependingo on position in top 150. Then the better position you got and the more DT you played the bigger the chance for CR.
Oh and "New clan will keep all their characters." means that eg all Berzerk would be legal?
I agree with RG Loa's suggestion. there are certain times some players will be able to play DTs and maybe it's not the type they are that good at. Maybe switching each week could be the best of both worlds
Thank you UR for arriving at a compromise. Once again, you do not fail to listen to your players
nah just playing this concept is more reasonable then the last. I'm glad to see UR at least listens to the player base when they express concern about the way the game is headed. I so happy you fixed the timer on the dt matchs that has bugged me for some time now. I was in 1st on 1 dt for the majority of the dt then i hit a slow player and dropped to like 15 before the end of the dt. With this shorter time limit I could potentially get in more matches making it so if i hit a slow player it doesnt hurt as bad.
I like the idea about only facing decks with a similar star count to ur own deck. I have a feeling its prolly gonna be buggy as all heck when it first comes out but once they get all the bugs outta it im sure it will be great. I was thinking about quitting UR when the new standard format came out but with these changes i'll prolly stick around.