A bit more than three weeks ago we presented our Standard format project. After having read your comments we changed the way to implement it. No need to go back over the previous version of this project (you can read the 700 and more comments if you wish), I'm going to talk about the final version.
The goal is still the same : offer a scalable and restrictive format.
Today, we have to many playable characters in each clan. New players are lost with all these options while paradoxically, old players own the best characters but always play with the same ones. With the Standard format, we want to offer to the new and old players a more restrictive environment if they wish, with less options in each clan but more often renewed.
What will we do?
1/ Create a list of characters called "Standard" which will be reset half-yearly. In this list you'll find all characters (and LD too) released within the three last years before the update, Leaders, starter deck characters and characters released after the update. You'll find 13 to 16 characters in each clan. New clan will keep all their characters.
2/ We will create a new deck format:
Standard format: Standard characters only, 40 stars max., no double.
3/ T1 and T2 will be renamed in Extended and Extended 25.
Extended format: all characters are allowed, 40 stars max. no double, equivalent to the current T2.
Extended 25 format: Extended characters, 25 stars max., no double, equivalent to the current T1.
4/ Several changes will be made on the DT.
- The timer will be significantly reduced for all DT matches. From the first match you'll have the same timer as the one you have now above 100 points.
- We will create a list of penalized characters in DT which will be independent from the list of ELO banned characters. The rule will probably remain the same: -2 points for each penalized character un your 4 characters team. We might change the penalty in the future if necessary.
- T1 and T2 room will be merged in one single room Extended Fights. To allow you to play with 15 to 40 stars decks, the battle system will make you face opponents with similar decks. The DTs will always be in this room.
- There will always be a DT every other our but alternately with the two rooms, Extended and Standard. it means there will be a DT one hour out of 4 in the Extended room and the same in the Standard room.
- We will randomly give a collector to players ranked in the top 150 in DTs. We didn't decide the exact number of collectors yet nor the rules of the draw but we're thinking about 5 collectors a day.
I insist on the fact that with the system of matches against similar decks (which already exists on T1 and T2 rooms) you'll be able to build competitive decks with a small number of stars as you'll always face similar decks. Le big difference is that 25 stars decks will face slightly bigger decks and 26 stars decks will face slightly smaller ones. It doesn't happen now because of the rooms limits which don't match with the way DT decks are built.
5/ We will create two new battle rooms.
- Deathmatch Standard: just like the current DM T2 but with Standard decks.
- Survivor Standard: just like the current Survivor T2 but with Standard decks.
6/ We will also make some minor changes as:
- new packs in the shop with Standard characters only.
- sorting options in the collection to only see Standard characters.
- changes in the theme decks (we are still thinking about it).
- minor changes in the visuals of cards to make Standard characters easier to recognize.
You may notice that ELO won't change at all, the same for DM or Survivor rooms. Of course the Fight Club and the Warehouse won't change either.
About the deadline, with all these changes we cannot be sure it will be released on March. We are working on this project and we want to release it quickly but I can't give a date but it should be implemented before this summer.
You can post comments or send emails here: email@example.com
Thank you and have fun!
This seems way better. DT's should have been their own format from the beginning anyways.
Well its better than the original idea but I'm far from convinced
The DT thing seems to be falling into the same trap as the old Random non random format from a few years back that cost UR so many players. With the problem being that most people get on for the same set time each day, and can only get on for this time, if the DT is not in the format they like then it is rubbish for them
I also don't like that there isn't the 25 star deck split.
Sorry not convinced at all by this, I guess I will have to see if the game is still playabe when these poorly thought out changes occur to see if it still playable or not, but until then and probably after I am done buying credits
I want to thank you guys. I put a LOT of time,effort, and money into this game, and this is way less of a slap to the face. The fact that your not changing Elo makes the changes you are making not hurt as much. of corse i don't like all the changes, but no one will like all of them. That aside i think every one will find something they do like and play the game or games that suite them. Thank you for listening to the people, and doing the right thing.
This is a more appealing change to me. I'll have to wait and see how it plays out but hopeful it'll make the game a little more fun.
All the changes to the game are OK with me, except one... And that is the timer in DTs. I don't know how this thing suddenly dropped into this story, when it was not mentioned before...
Yes, I also don't like when some people are slow, but I would rather be annoyed with that once in 10 games, than not to have enough time to calculate my move in 8 out of 10 games. I am the kind of player who likes to calculate every move, not just to put random amount of pillz and hope for the best. Remember, this should be a strategy game, a game to outwit the opponent, not a game of fast calculation and random pilling... I don't think that most players that play DTs want to get to 1st place, so I don't know what was the problem with the timing as it is now...
I understand that slow players are posing a problem for people who are going for 1st place. But then, the rules are the same for everyone, everyone may face a slow player, so no harm done. Or at least, make it so that people with more than 100pts are paired with people with more than 100pts...
I almost always play DTs, and I would be pretty annoyed if this timer thing goes trough...
What kind of collector cards will the new tournament prize be,
Will it include the several-million-clintz cards or will it just be the likes of Noodile Cr?
Because 5 per day seems like a lot to me.
Has UR thought about doing a poll to receive actual input from the community?
Let me first say that these changes are a drastic improvement over the initial proposal. I thank UR for that. However, part of the reason is the initial changes WERE HORRIBLE! They might have been enough to make me leave UR. I had made a few posts ripping the proposed changes while pointing out how they would likely reduce variety and activity. It punished older players who have spent time and money to develop their collections.
The first set of proposed changes was clearly aimed at raising UR’s profits as much as possible: New “Standard” cards would become extremely expensive, especially powerful new releases, and old obsolete cards’ values would plummet. The results: New players would have to buy many credits to keep their Standard collection large enough to be competitive and have any real choice. Older players would need to sell off their collections at the much lower prices to raise the clintz needed to buy the powerful New Blood cards which would become exceptionally expensive; at some point many veteran players would run out of old cards to sell and be put in the position of needing to buy credits just like new players. These new revisions significantly reduce the problems above and leave people some reason for owning powerful old low star cards (Marlyssa Cr as an example).
To be continued...
However, I still have a few issues that have not been resolved:
1. Extended 25 (Type 1) is only used in 1 room – the current “Type 1” DM which in my opinion is boring and gives little rewards other than Battle Points…very few clintz, no credits, and no Crs
2. If you want to use a card like Marlyssa Cr, your only decent format is the “Extended DT”. Assume that the Extended version begins at 03:00, 07:00, 11:00, 15:00, 19:00, & 23:00 in your time zone. If you need to leave for work at say 07:30 and get home at 19:15 (which is not uncommon), then you cannot play any DTs in Extended format unless you want to play from 23:00 to midnight. That’s not feasible for many people, especially those of us who after concentrating and being fully awake cannot fall asleep for at least an hour or 2.
3. People will likely face a much smaller variety of decks in DTs. If you play a 20* deck then you will see the same 19-21, 18-22, or 17-23* decks, depending upon how tightly UR matches “similar” decks. By definition, using a 20* deck, you will NEVER be matched against a 25-40* deck. This destroys the fun of using a 26* deck and seeing if you can beat those big 40* decks to earn big points. Using the wording “the battle system will make you face opponents with similar decks” should be a clue that people won’t be facing a great variety of decks.
4. People will just find the new optimum decks and number of stars to win DTs. These changes only shift which handful of decks will be the best.