offline Espectroscuro Colossus Le p0tager
Monday 23/09/2013, 16:32

Hi everyone,

We'd like to discuss the ELO system with you.

Over time, this particular game mode has undergone several changes that have largely proved to be successful. So this is where we are currently at:

- We’ve reached the point where there are almost 1,000 cards available in the format and in which "optimized" decks exist by mixing up clans. It would seem that "historic" cards (ones that are several years’ old) have an unchallenged place in decks that work well in ELO and, as a result, are greatly limiting the emergence of new deck types.

- The format has dramatically improved with the arrival of new clans and particularly new cards which mean that decks can be significantly improved (it is now possible to produce a proficient deck from each clan). By this, we’re not referring to stomp decks used to race to the top of the rankings, but rather to decks that work well in the ELO mode.

- More effective cards per clan also means greater possibilities of monoclan domination.

Our current aim is to give the ELO mode room to expand and evolve by adding a criterion to staff bans.

So this is what we propose to breathe new life into the ELO mode:

The age of cards will become an important factor in what we decide to ban from the ELO mode. The older a card is, the more it runs the risk of being banned. This will enable us to dislodge certain cards that have become fixtures in ELO decks and, in doing so, make way for new cards to emerge.

We will select between 0 and 4 cards per clan (at each wave of bans) which we can ban based on this criterion.

For example, let’s take a look at an All Stars deck that is currently very effective in ELO. Marina (2007), Jessie (2008 ) and Randy (2008 ) very often have a place in their star category. If we ban Marina and Randy, Nathan might find his place or would at least have the chance of doing so. In the same way, the presence of Uranus partly prevents the creation of a new reducer for the Sakrohm clan because of his dominance. Several cards may not seem worth considering because of their direct competition within the clan. However, we believe they could provide interesting alternatives (I'm thinking here of Leviatonn VS Klawz or Stalfhaust).

This new criterion of play would allow us to better manage the game's evolution. We would fix dates for new bans every X months, of course taking the time to first discuss this with the community, as we did with the last wave of bans.

Banned "historic" cards would then be definitively expelled from the ELO mode.

In short this new system would allow us to:
- Refresh the ELO mode on a regular basis by providing genuine renewal to the metagame.
- Give new character cards a chance to make their mark on the game mode.
- Allow new deck types to emerge by combining the various clans without having to play/challenge certain unavoidable cards (by getting rid of “historic” cards, players would have more scope for creativity).
- Reduce the power of monoclans in the game mode.

Initially, each clan would not be affected in the same way but over time a real change in the mode’s playstyle could emerge.
Ultimately we feel these suggested changes will provide ELO devotees with yet more scope for discovery and enjoyment.

These are our proposals. We very much look forward to hearing any comments or suggestions you may have on them.

edited by Espectroscuro monday 23/09/2013, 16:32

offline Tokapondora Master Absolutely Fabulous
Monday 23/09/2013, 17:31

This really just seems like a way to force people to keep buying cards. If you're going to ban cards in a game mode, it should simply be because they're overpowered, not "because they're old".

offline Street1999 Senior REIGN OF THE SUPREMES
Monday 23/09/2013, 17:33

This will not help.
It make people less eager to play elo.

offline Shaddow_Man Senior  
Monday 23/09/2013, 17:34

IKR! Tokapondra u are so right!

offline neo_08ms Master knights of oblivion
Monday 23/09/2013, 17:35

Just make an ELO Standard format like you do in Daily Tournaments. Sheesh, there's no need to ban everything.

offline Guts Imperator Time Conquers All
Monday 23/09/2013, 17:36

I would also like to add the utterly "suspicious" behavior the staff had when handling roots,GHEIST compared to the way they handled Rescue. Usually when you handled GHEIST or Roots, it was sort of a equivalent exchange. For an instance,
Yookie was gone at first so you decided to give us a new character that would supplement for his loss,so you gave us Flora.smiley On the second "round" of perma-banned cards you took away Jeena and Gertjan and you gave us back yookiesmiley I really don't miss on any of those two cards but it should have been plus one more,for example Arno.
An additional example of how GHEIST were handled, bristone got banned arkn came back.Okay.
Now how Rescue were handled :
Elvira was banned,Lea,so a 2 star card gone plus a 3 star card gone.
Hax came back(nobody remember that eh?),Kerry,Sledg as well. So 2 gone, 3 come back. As if that wasn't enough buckler came in to replace the loss of elvira,sue was released to replace the loss of Lea and additionally Reeve + Campbell joined the company as wellsmiley See my point? 2 gone, 7 new characters to usesmiley quite the handicap eh?
I will come to agree with post 20 from Monty XXX. This game keeps a certain profile due to the fact that old players,some of them at least,are still here. I don't know about you,but every day I see more people leaving the game while I bet that only a few new players are here to stay. If you want to rid yourself of your faithful customers then it is fine by me,enjoy that sinking ship

offline Thoazol Moderator Wise Men Distracted
Monday 23/09/2013, 17:39

"Hax came back(nobody remember that eh?)"
Because Hax was never banned except that one week when all the 5* were banned.

offline Kefalo Imperator Casual Grind
Monday 23/09/2013, 17:44

Two things - several cards are reather expensive and only really worth it because of ELO - Splata Cr, Kerozinn Cr, Marlyssa Cr to name a few. This goes so far that I could've bought comparatively stronger cards like Vicki Cr or Lamarr Cr but chose to save twice the ammount needed to buy either simply to dish out a million clintz for a rather mediocre 2* which gives me a nice edge for my FPC and the added bonus that people aren't overly familiar with her so they make mistakes. All this in a game which has dirven potential new players I tried to introduce numerous times because it's an incredibly demanding and blatantly obvious money and time sink.

Second - there is simply no way to make ELO (or any mode) not devolve into "only the best goes". There just isn't - most of the cards don't get used at all because there is no way they beat the alternatives. If you ban old cards, new staples will emerge or people will stop using the clans that lost too much. And one of the most important things in why people choose clans or combos is overlap and consistency - the ability to have Marlyssa Cr, Shifou and the Ld in the same deck is pretty much the only reason I'd play FPC even in a half deck. Only reason to play Nathan is if I can also play Marina and add a bit of consistency to the chance I'll have a -3 min 1 DR in my hand. Klaws instead of Leviathon? Klaws AND Leviathon with someone who can provide an OP CoB as the other half (Say, Saki).

offline JR_Ledeir Imperator The Trend
Monday 23/09/2013, 17:48

I used to play ELO all the time, but stopped immediately when standard came out.
Standard got rid of all the old staple cards and forced people to work with the newer ones.
On the flip side, standard seems to be far less popular mode.
While I want to be free from the staples, a lot of other people don't.
I don't think this idea will go over well with the community as a whole (although it has my full support)

offline DeepEnd Imperator Limit Break
Monday 23/09/2013, 17:48

Kefalo is right. New staples would form quickly and "new ELO" would not differ from old one.

Only thing that makes currently dynamics to ELO is ban system. Thats good thing, since it rotates cards.

Please look to previous page about my text concerning penalties, that would add another layer of dynamics. It would make some cards "less" without removing them from the playfield. It would also be automatic and affect the grandest of meta because all concerned cards would be the ones that are used often.

offline Guts Imperator Time Conquers All
Monday 23/09/2013, 17:49

@post 12 no just no mansmiley You have seen how the penalty system works on Daily Tournaments. Users are divided to
a) Those that are actually aiming for the top of the tournament and are using cards with no penalty and
b) Those that don't care,play slow and use cards with penalty points no matter if they win or lose,they are just doing missionssmiley
My suggestions on previous posts is how to make ELO better. The time factor doesn't have to be in consideration,stats and where a character is placed(in which clan) should. That is about it from me

Answer to this subject

Clint City, night.