A bit more than three weeks ago we presented our Standard format project. After having read your comments we changed the way to implement it. No need to go back over the previous version of this project (you can read the 700 and more comments if you wish), I'm going to talk about the final version.
The goal is still the same : offer a scalable and restrictive format.
Today, we have to many playable characters in each clan. New players are lost with all these options while paradoxically, old players own the best characters but always play with the same ones. With the Standard format, we want to offer to the new and old players a more restrictive environment if they wish, with less options in each clan but more often renewed.
What will we do?
1/ Create a list of characters called "Standard" which will be reset half-yearly. In this list you'll find all characters (and LD too) released within the three last years before the update, Leaders, starter deck characters and characters released after the update. You'll find 13 to 16 characters in each clan. New clan will keep all their characters.
2/ We will create a new deck format:
Standard format: Standard characters only, 40 stars max., no double.
3/ T1 and T2 will be renamed in Extended and Extended 25.
Extended format: all characters are allowed, 40 stars max. no double, equivalent to the current T2.
Extended 25 format: Extended characters, 25 stars max., no double, equivalent to the current T1.
4/ Several changes will be made on the DT.
- The timer will be significantly reduced for all DT matches. From the first match you'll have the same timer as the one you have now above 100 points.
- We will create a list of penalized characters in DT which will be independent from the list of ELO banned characters. The rule will probably remain the same: -2 points for each penalized character un your 4 characters team. We might change the penalty in the future if necessary.
- T1 and T2 room will be merged in one single room Extended Fights. To allow you to play with 15 to 40 stars decks, the battle system will make you face opponents with similar decks. The DTs will always be in this room.
- There will always be a DT every other our but alternately with the two rooms, Extended and Standard. it means there will be a DT one hour out of 4 in the Extended room and the same in the Standard room.
- We will randomly give a collector to players ranked in the top 150 in DTs. We didn't decide the exact number of collectors yet nor the rules of the draw but we're thinking about 5 collectors a day.
I insist on the fact that with the system of matches against similar decks (which already exists on T1 and T2 rooms) you'll be able to build competitive decks with a small number of stars as you'll always face similar decks. Le big difference is that 25 stars decks will face slightly bigger decks and 26 stars decks will face slightly smaller ones. It doesn't happen now because of the rooms limits which don't match with the way DT decks are built.
5/ We will create two new battle rooms.
- Deathmatch Standard: just like the current DM T2 but with Standard decks.
- Survivor Standard: just like the current Survivor T2 but with Standard decks.
6/ We will also make some minor changes as:
- new packs in the shop with Standard characters only.
- sorting options in the collection to only see Standard characters.
- changes in the theme decks (we are still thinking about it).
- minor changes in the visuals of cards to make Standard characters easier to recognize.
You may notice that ELO won't change at all, the same for DM or Survivor rooms. Of course the Fight Club and the Warehouse won't change either.
About the deadline, with all these changes we cannot be sure it will be released on March. We are working on this project and we want to release it quickly but I can't give a date but it should be implemented before this summer.
You can post comments or send emails here: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you and have fun!
UR Staff made a very, very bad decision. They should've hand-picked the cards for the Standard and "re-released" them,
the way MTG cards have all those "nth Edition" releases.
As it is, the Standard is extremely unbalanced and completely broken for at least the next two years.
Talking about this on our guild forums, and a lot of people are confused and I agree.
I think UR is handling this pretty badly. There should have been a full on front page post. That then linked to a separate page not on the forums, with easy to read/understand bulletin points on everything. Almost all the info I'm getting about standard is bits and pieces from the guild forums.
Yes I know it can all be found here, but not everyone reads the forums. I had no idea they changed it to 3 years along with a lot of other info I've seen come up. I also had no idea it took effect until seeing it again on my guild forums.
It is good of "standard" get a chance for improve.
But, Berzerk and Skeelz both have elo banned charaters in "standard" and this, from my view, definely is an advantage with the other clan. Also, three years allowance gap should be shorter, just like Skeelz, it has over 30 charaters. I think it is not strong enough to give Skeelz to be all "standard" as it should be enoguh charaters making Skeelz a balanced clan and have space for UR to choose some to be "standard" which are the same like other clan.
So, this standard thing has been around for a while now, hasn't it?
I think it is about time to introduce a filter "show standard characters only" in the clan overviews, so one can actually start building standard decks.
In magic the gathering nobody in their right mind throws all cards from every edition in the history of the game on one huge pile, gives it one thorough shuffle and then starts building an edition X deck from that. Why would Urban Rivals make their users do that?