Berzerk: What they need to survive

Friday 18/05/2012, 07:12
ghelas - Titan English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
22 messages
ghelas - Titan - The TrendEnglish - Friday 18/05/2012, 07:12

Berzerk is by far not a bad clan, but let's face it... Their special sauce is Spyke. I assume that he'll get perma-banned from ELO sooner or later. With the arrival of the Frozn, Berzerk are bound to get much less attention... Unless they get a few great cards over the next couple of months, they run the risk of being dismissed as another unremarkable +damage clan as soon as Spyke's ban comes.

Let's talk about what Berzerk need!

-A good Spyke replacement: a heavy-hitting 4* card that's hard to justify throwing a lot of pills against it is a must for Berzerk. I would love to see a 7/5 Defeat: +3 Life or a 7/5 Attack +9 fill his spot.
-Better Defeat/Revenge synergy: Berzerk have some excellent Defeat cards, and I think there was a rather lackluster attempt to make a couple of good Revenge cards that played well with those...
Ranesh's 6 power isn't scaring anybody. Uma may look good on paper, but in reality, her 8 damage isn't that big a deal because it can't be used 1st turn, and has a min. It would be nice to see something more solid. How about a low-* defeat card with 8 power? Maybe a high-* card with Revenge: +1 Life per damage?
-Round winners: It would be great to see something with stats comparable to Ralph/Radek and maybe another good attack manip card to help round the clan out.
-Backlash: Just one good card with min 3 life on the backlash would be nice!

I'd like to hear from the ELO experts. What do you think Berzerk need to keep up in ELO?
« Previous123Next »

2/22
UM_AaaBattery - Moderator - URBAN MADNESS English
Friday 18/05/2012, 13:50

-A good Spyke replacement: Elvis/Revok.

-Better Defeat/Revenge synergy: Uma is a good card. With her ability she has 6 damage, 8 with bonus (minimum 2 is quite low) or fury and 10 with both. Lola is the only defeat card which is usally used so then don't need that many revenge cards.

-Round winners: Taylor, Elvis, Kawamashi, Bernie, Jeffrey, Melanie are round winners. Most other attack manimpulation has low power so there high power can stop them or the stop opp: bonus.

-Backlash: The higher the backlash the worse it is so why do you want high backlash. Also Cortez and Bernie are really good cards.

Overall even without Spyke Berzerk are highly ELO usable.
3/22
MadLampy_MoB - Legend English
Friday 18/05/2012, 15:49

Revenge synergy:

emm Cortez, Elvis, Lola, Melanie... Tiwi Ld, Titsouk, Niqiloda, Annuqa? and yeah as mentioned Lola is the only one so why worry about the synergy outside half deck

Spyke replacement: ^what he said... most of us use Elvis/Revok or drop the second 4* and run Taylor/Cortez/Elvis and drop a 3* to an extra 2* ( since with the arrival of Bernie we have quite a few strong cards there )

round winners: unless Miho runs into SOA or you're in type 2 vs caelus etc... not a problem like he said. zerks have strong power plus either attack manip or a strong abil like sob or soa etc

and yeah.. strong mono and half
4/22
ghelas - Titan - The Trend English
Friday 18/05/2012, 16:05

C'mon, you can't be serious...

Elvis is good.
Revok is just okay. Sure, he can gap hard, but his ability kicks in only when you lose with him. His usefulness as a fork is limited because of average power and min on Berzerk's bonus.
Uma is an awkward card. A lot of 3*s gap like her but aren't Revenge-dependant. Cutey, Nyema, Kostner, Zhu Tang, any good 3* poison, etc..
Taylor is NOT a round-winner. If he was, all of Nightmare and Piranas are round-winners and we should play no other clans.
Same with Jeffrey...
Kawamashi has worse stats than Rodney, and a min that can keep him from scoring his full 5 damage.
Elvis and Melanie have a solid 8 power, but I would rather take a good power reducer or a good attack manip card over 8 power any day. Until you use 7 pills with an 8-powered card, a 7 pilled card only has to pill 1 higher to beat it. They are both outstanding cards, but not top-notch round winners.
Cortez is good.
Bernie is useless against SoB.

Berzerk can do fine in ELO, because any clan can. Someone posted on these boards about getting I think 1511 with mono La Junta. A good player can run anything into at least 1350s, but... Berzerk need something that sets them apart from the other clans and makes players interested in trying them. They only have a few outstanding cards: Melanie, Lola, Elvis, Spyke, and Cortez. Most clans have more... Even brand-new Frozn have 6 outstanding cards.
5/22
Friday 18/05/2012, 21:58

Another interesting note: Elvis and Miho have the base stats of Bogdan and Magda, who both have the potential to inflict a whole lot more damage, and will almost never inflict less (unless you're walling with them, and in that case, it doesn't really matter.)

Lots of Berzerk cards seem like slightly inferior versions of existing cards. Yeah, they're not terrible, but I see Freaks, Jungo, AND FPC as stronger gap bonus clans... Frozn is shaping up to be a superior gap bonus clan, as well.
6/22
wats_happenin - Legend - Casual Grind English
Saturday 19/05/2012, 05:32

Yeah Elvis and Miho are so like Bogdan and Magda...apart from the fact they dont rely on getting in their damage first round :/

Tbh Ranesh is an awesome card and replaces Spyke in my decks!!! I don't know why, cause i was so skeptical about him, but a 6/8 with attk is scary!! Many times Ive won games solely due to him

What Berzerk need is a strong attack manip 5* that doesn't rely on overpilling to win its rounds!!!
7/22
Saturday 19/05/2012, 08:22

Bogdan, turn 1: up to 10 damage
turn 2: up to 8 damage
turn 3: the same damage as Elvis...

Magda, turn 1: up to 9 damage
turn 2: up to 7 damage
turn 3: the same damage as Miho...
8/22
Trippie - Titan - Open Casket English
Saturday 19/05/2012, 12:19

You forget that the Berzerk bonus doesn't become useless after you hit once, so Bogdan and Magda combined will do about 11 damage in ELO (due to min. 3), and so will Elvis and Miho (up till min. 2).

Depending on the other cards the amount will vary but it's not a big difference (esp. since Berzerk min. is better than Freaks' min).
9/22
AmberRed1994 - Imperator - Limit Break English
Saturday 19/05/2012, 15:04

I'm not a pro, especially in Elo. I just get lucky sometimes

Well anyway, Berzerk aren't really that great in mono as compared to being used in halves. This is because Berzerk do not have Support: cards like La Junta, nor do they have a round-winning bonus like so many clans out there, meaning that they will have trouble against Rescue, Montana, etc. Especially Buckler and Desmond where Spyke can't show his charm.

If Berzerk were to lose Spyke, they would really be crippled. They're good already, but without Spyke there just isn't any reason to use them anymore. On Spyke-banned days I don't think I've ever fought more than 3 Berzerk users from 1000 to 1400(I tend to go up and down a lot in between).

But to be honest, Berzerk are actually pretty usable with what they have now. Melanie, Lola, Elvis and Kawamashi as a replacement for Spyke make for a strong half-deck although lacking in damage without their bonus, this can easily be covered by using 5:3 splits or with a damage-aggressive half to compliment them, such as the Uppers.

With that said, I'm actually looking forward to Berzerk having the following:
Attack manipulation with decent damage. (Rico/Akendram duplicate), although Kawamashi is already very good.
Anti-SOB (7/5 SoB or 8/5 Protection: Bonus for 4*)
Better conditional 2* (Perhaps something like 8/1 Revenge: +2 life)
Finally, a weak nuke! (Loma Noju duplicate?)

Too much to ask for, I know, just letting my thoughts flow
10/22
Saturday 19/05/2012, 17:00

Maybe I didn't express my concerns very well. It's not that I think Berzerk are totally unplayable, it's just that I feel they're a little lack-luster without Spyke, that they need a bit more oomph, or they risk ending up with the same level of interest as La Junta...

@Trippie:
"You forget that the Berzerk bonus doesn't become useless after you hit once, so Bogdan and Magda combined will do about 11 damage in ELO (due to min. 3), and so will Elvis and Miho (up till min. 2).

Depending on the other cards the amount will vary but it's not a big difference (esp. since Berzerk min. is better than Freaks' min)."

That's a good observation, but it doesn't change the fact that a single Freaks card can hit incredibly hard. Because of that, they have more strategies available to them than the Berzerk. You can mix Freaks with a DR or wall half-deck, and play a damage denial game... Or hit with a life gain/heal card, ensuring that your Freaks bonus goes off for the maximum number of rounds.
Another up side is that the Freaks bonus helps fight life gain. If your opponent gains a few life, you get 13 damage out of hitting with Bogdan and Magda, while Elvis and Miho still hit for 11.
Last, but not least, Freaks has a lot more cards with round-winning abilites than Berzerk does, giving them excellent clan synergy...

@ Amber:
Good card suggestions! Something like that would help round Berzerk out. A 4* with 8/5 prot: bonus would be an awesome addition to their lineup!

« Previous123Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals