Focus on the real reason for timeout/withdrawl

Thursday 28/06/2012, 17:38
Tansur - Guru English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
16 messages
Tansur - Guru - The TrendEnglish - Thursday 28/06/2012, 17:38

With the new points rules coming in to play I think it's time to address the reason people timeout. The current rules penalize a person for timing out or abandoning a match, but this fails to address their motivation. When a person times out they are past the point of caring about penalties. They are mad, frustrated, embarrassed that they lost and they want to take it out on the person who beat them. It's a "if I'm going down, your going down with me" mentality, and is a glaring example of poor sportsmanship, but there is obviously some satisfaction to it regardless of how pathetic it is. With this in mind I think it is important we focus not what a person in this state of mind is accomplishing, and why it is so satisfying.

As I have already mentioned, the penalty to the "abandoner" is moot, as they are more focused on punishing the player who is about to beat them. Why are they satisfied? They are satisfied because they are able to sabotage their opponent's points. Now the amount of points stolen from the winner varies depending on the situation but lets consider a situation where:
- It's the third round
- It is obvious that the one player will win by KO in round 4
- Once the winning player wins round 4 they will have won all four rounds

(continued in next post)
« Previous12Next »

11/16
Lafoote - Titan - Hip Hop Messiahz English
Thursday 26/07/2012, 04:24

Actualy, it can be changed. I'm also relatively sure you didn't actually laugh out loud. While I'm not certain this is exactly the right soltion, it would definitely be nice if players were unable to wreck an opponents tourney chances via losing.

Perhaps a bonus based on number of rounds remaining, or a flat 10 points might be a good choice to make up for time wasted?
12/16
WMDuessel - Imperator - Wise Men Distracted English
Thursday 26/07/2012, 11:57

The thing is not everyone times out to spite the opponent. He/she could have Internet problems, sudden blackouts. It's probably not the reason for others, but we have to face the fact that there is no reasonable way to avoid the situation. It's been happening to every player since the game began, keep in mind that other players experience this on the receiving end and almost all players have timed out or disconnected at one point.
13/16
-Montrosity- - Titan - Lords of chao&.. English
Thursday 26/07/2012, 12:30

Well do people actually withdraw in DTs. The only time l remember someone leaving a fight was when l dragged the fight to the last round when l could had KOed the 3rd. That was the last minute of the tourneys anyways, so l lost the top 50, bad times
14/16
Tansur - Guru - The Trend English
Thursday 26/07/2012, 18:57

@Duessel WMD

Ok, it may not be malicious intent, it could be a technical problem. But, should their opponent still be punished by losing points for not being able to KO or not getting points for the 4th round, having pillz/health bonus, etc. just because the OTHER person had a problem?

In a DT its a double whammy, because you are losing points that you need and most likely deserved, and you are also losing time, which equates to points in DT.
15/16
sunbunman - Titan - the shockwaves English
Monday 30/07/2012, 09:03

I request a mass euthanisation of these stallers from the game, I hit about 6 of these in the last tourney, I mean seriously wtf?!

16:59 Tourney ..you won by timeout against bombazok, WestDragon11 (12-12) – your wins: 17 points and 5 Clintz
16:58 Tourney ..you won by timeout against Victy CR, RomaniaHome (12-3) – your wins: 33 points and 7 Clintz
16:55 Tourney ..you narrowly escaped from vyking 07, CP9 INDISTRUTTIBILE (9-6) – your wins: 29 points and 5 Clintz
16:53 Tourney ..you won by timeout against Vanna Emar, JeuxOnline (14-6) – your wins: 26 points and 5 Clintz
16:50 Tourney ..you were annihilated by sanji777, The World Of One piece (0-12) – your wins: 9 points and 4 Clintz
16:47 Tourney ..you beat Azrail Tesla, Анимешная Академия (10-3) – your wins: 35 points and 5 Clintz
16:44 Tourney ..you lost against _eastblue_, The Dark Knights of Urban Rivals (6-10) – your wins: 13 points and 2 Clintz
16:40 Tourney ..you narrowly escaped from DK-chix, Oº°‘¨ Unnatural Warriors ¨‘°ºO (9-6) – your wins: 37 points and 5 Clintz
16:36 Tourney ..you drew with demonfire95, L@w & Order - Elite Division (3-3) – your wins: 18 points and 3 Clintz
16:34 Tourney ..you narrowly escaped from aikona59 (5-2) – your wins: 31 points and 5 Clintz
16:31 Tourney ..you crushed Crazy_killur (12-0) – your wins: 23 points and 9 Clintz
16:30 Tourney ..you narrowly escaped from {KEA} Silver, Kill Em All (2-1) – your wins: 32 points and 5 Clintz
16:27 Tourney ..you were a
16/16
Bruzzer - Hero English
Tuesday 31/07/2012, 14:26

Tansur makes a fair point and I agree with him. I have to say that i am guilty of doing it in a deathmatch when i am top and am facing the person thats second but i have never done this in DT''s. In a DT if your about to get pwned instead of wasting someone elses time you should just accept defeat and allow them to win. Thats what you call sportsmanship

« Previous12Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals