2 hit Knock-outs aren't necessarily the way to get into the top 10 or win a dt. It mostly depends on what cards you are using and if you are using the rules as to your advantage. For instance:
1) For every life above 12 you earn +2 battle points which is limited to +4 bp per match (or at 14 life).
2) You earn another + 2 battle points for every pill left after the battle, assuming you win, with the limit being +4 bp per match (2pillz)
3) You get a penalty of -2 for every staff elo
banned cards...but those cards are extremely powerful so using 1 of them in your deck may not necessarily be a bad thing is you know what you are doing.
4) For every battle you win you get a bonus of 2 pillz (So if you go for the 2 hit KO, you'd only get around a 4 bp bonus resulting in around 12-20 bp if you win (Which can be a good or bad thing if you think your opponent is going to stall).
5) I can't stress this enough USING HIGH LEVEL CARDS IS A BAD THING, you get more battle points if you beat high star cards with lower star cards, vice versa also, you get less battle points if you go around beating 2,3, and 4 star cards with 5 star cards.
Basically those are all the things you need to remember to score high in a match. My recommendation is to try making a good 26-28 star deck which will not be easy at low levels, but is possible. Honestly though, just try to have fun and eventually you'll be raking in enough clintz to to afford all the good cards you want and even win a dt someday!