Chance, or something else?

Sunday 23/07/2006, 06:09
Myrilith - Veteran English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
19 messages
Myrilith - Veteran English - Sunday 23/07/2006, 06:09

I've noticed that some of my cards seem to consistently lose battles, no matter what their attack. For example, my lvl4 XU52 with 8 pillz (total of 32 atk) just lost to a lvl1 Robin with 0 pillz. I'd say it was just chance, except that it happened again. And again. My XU52 card has lost to its opponent for the last SEVEN games STRAIGHT, and every time it had a significantly higher atk. I've noticed the same thing with my Candy Jack card, as well. It loses every time.

Are some cards more (or less!) likely to win than others, or am I just the unluckiest person alive?
« Previous12Next »

2/19
0-Jade - Titan - URBAN MADNESS English
Sunday 23/07/2006, 09:27

It doesn't mean that if your card has higher attack it automatically would win. The higher your attack against your opponent would just give you a higher chance of winning. It happens to me too.
3/19
TnC-Macthorpe - Imperator - Tea English
Sunday 23/07/2006, 11:01

Lao always seems to do it for my brother and I. But thats probably more to do with the fact that he really sucks until he hits Lvl 5!
4/19
Myrilith - Veteran English
Sunday 23/07/2006, 12:06

No, I know a higher atk doesn't guarantee victory. But you're missing the point -- losing that many times in a row, regardless of my atk advantage, is VERY unlikely if only chance is involved.
5/19
Sunday 23/07/2006, 13:21

I completely understand what you are saying. Lao often seems to me to go against the laws of probability but then the programming is set in stone so if the rules says 1 in 38 chance then there is a chance that the one will win. More interesting to me is how the cards are picked from your deck at random. I just bought two new cards in the market and after ten games I still haven't had them in my hand! But I've said it before and I'll say it again 'Million to one chances turn up nine times out of ten!'- Terry Pratchett

However we could just start mythologising cards and sell them cheap because they are 'unlucky'. Hmmm anyone got an 'unlucky' BeserkGirl they want to get rid of for 103 clintz or less!
6/19
0-Jade - Titan - URBAN MADNESS English
Sunday 23/07/2006, 14:29

I'm sorry if i offended you. But yup sometimes some card are really quite lucky.
7/19
Sunday 23/07/2006, 16:05

Not offended just think we were both trying to say the same thing and not quite understanding each other!
8/19
AOD_CKANE - Imperator English
Sunday 23/07/2006, 19:09

I've seen this trend too, Actually I'm starting a new database in the yahoo groups to track this sort of behaviour. Seems (and this is just speculation on my part) that some cards have a supernatural (meaning not using probability stats) ability to beat extremely high cards with more pills etc.

I actually would prefer it if they did have undocumented strength vs perticular cards as it would really help the games overall game. Think of it in real life you have boxers who suck against other bad boxers but are really good against the top rankers. This could be rigging but nonetheless makes for good show.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/UrbanRivals/
9/19
AOD_CKANE - Imperator English
Sunday 23/07/2006, 19:22

Card Loss Frequency table in the database section of http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/UrbanRivals will give you a place to report these offsets.

Don't worry about stats, me or one of the moderators will crunch the numbers and send out an update as soon as we have enough entries.
10/19
Fraggle - Admin - Clint Staff English
Sunday 23/07/2006, 20:40

Just to let you know (but you can believe something else if you want to ), there is nothing hidden from you about the characters stats.
If you wish to see if the stats are "stranges" (but then again, you'll find that they aren't) you must take in account all the rounds where the outcome matches the
stats. Counting only "bad luck" round won't tell you much. Another way to be convinced: you'll see that somes players wins often (daily tournaments, elo, etc..) so
strategy is definitly a strong part of the game. Randomness is there so the game can be fun for everyone.
We (the staff) are big fans of the "stategy is everything" Magic: The gathering type of gameplay, but keep in mind that Urban Rivals wishes to be more fast, more
fun and more simple

« Previous12Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals