Resolving a round

Resolving a round
Saturday 19/08/2006, 18:58
Marsell4000 - Veteran English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
9 messages
Resolving a round
Marsell4000 - Veteran English - Saturday 19/08/2006, 18:58

Can someone please help explain to me how when I have 3 power and use 4-5 pills I lose to a character that has 2 power and uses no pills? Makes no sense to me and is a little frustrating. There were no abilities or bonuses to take into account.

2/9
StormWhisper - Titan - Wise Men Distracted English
Saturday 19/08/2006, 20:03

Simply, attack power doesn't guarantee wins. There's always a chance, although a small one, for the underdog to come back. Depending on how great the spread of attack is, depends on the chance. For example a 49 Attack vs a 1 Attack the 1 attack has a very tiny chance.

In your case, a 3 power with 5 pillz or 15 Attack, vs a 2 Power with 1 pillz which is 2 attack, because the spread is only 13 attack, it has a much larger chance than the first example (though it's still fairly low), to come back and win.
3/9
Zubbus - Veteran English
Saturday 19/08/2006, 20:27

And it seems that after about 5 or 6 pills, how high your attack or pill count is does not further reduce your chance of losing to freakish luck.

Also, it seems to me you can always count on certain cards to let you down. My Lao has most certainly lost over 80% of fights when his total and pills are both higher than his opponent. Lao is capable of only 1 knocking 1 square of an opponent's health in 2 attacks. Vladmir and 1 or 2 others were also seriously unreliable at low levels.

I have also lost all 4 rounds of a game when my pill count and attack total for every round is higher than my opponent.

But it comes around. I've had a 6 win streak where I probably only won the first 3 or 4 by being lucky.
4/9
Saturday 19/08/2006, 20:37

Ok, so it is freakish luck. I had guessed it must work on the odds system you mention storm, thanks.

Zubbus - Yes I have had the same with wins, but its more frustrating losing than it is satisfying winning in that way for me. I'd much prefer to know I'd beaten my opponent on skill rather than luck.

I was thinking that it would be better to have the total attack points count as the winner with no luck factored in, but i suppose the system is like that to give those with a really bad hand of cards a chance.

Oh well, play on. Thanks for answering my question.
5/9
Jolly Roger - Legend - De asskickers Deutsch
Saturday 19/08/2006, 22:18

StormWind said:
"In your case, a 3 power with 5 pillz or 15 Attack, vs a 2 Power with 1 pillz which is 2 attack, because the spread is only 13 attack, it has a much larger chance than the first example (though it's still fairly low), to come back and win"

WRONG

yes its true 3 (power) times 5 (pillz) equals 15 (attack), but that would mean that adding no pillz at all will give you no attack at all (3 times 0 equals 0)

A 3 power with 5 pillz gives 18 attack (3 attack from the card plus 3 times 5)

so the opponent had in fact an 18 procent chanche of winning (4 divided by 22)
3 power with 5 pillz equals 18 attack (chanche of win, 81.81%)
2 power with 1 pillz equals 4 attack (chanche of win, 18.18%)
spread of attack is 22.

following the wrong calculations from stormwind the opponent would only had a chanche of 11.76%
6/9
Sunday 20/08/2006, 10:33

Ok thanks for that Jolly.
7/9
StormWhisper - Titan - Wise Men Distracted English
Tuesday 22/08/2006, 07:31

I never claimed to be able to do math, just to know how the system works, and exact numbers were done in a different post. I'm pulling numbers out of thin air and guessing.
8/9
Jolly Roger - Legend - De asskickers Deutsch
Tuesday 22/08/2006, 09:29

Hmm you said "in your case"......so it's not pulling something out of thin air.

Hey you made a mistake because you didn't knew how the system works (otherwise you would have said that a 3 power with 5 pillz gives 18 attack (and not 15)).

Even the best make a (little) mistake from time to time.....and I'm here to correct those (of course, I make mistakes aswell).
9/9
AOD_CKANE - Imperator English
Tuesday 22/08/2006, 15:25

I'll post the formula again. THis will be posted to the Urban Rivals Yahoo group Blog soon.

Normal Mode:
Take the resulting attack of both characters (incl. everything) below is pseudocode:

var roundResult = random(0,sum(attack1 attack2));

if ( roundResult < attack1 ) perso1Win;
else perso2Win;

ELO Mode:
Take the resulting attack of both characters (incl. everything) below is pseudocode as well:

// Extra part: decrease effect of randomness in ELO (more strategic gameplay)
if (attack1 > attack2) attack1 = attack1 * 2;
else if ( attack2 > attack1 ) attack2 = attack2 * 2;

var roundResult = random(0,sum(attack1 attack2));

if ( roundResult < attack1 ) character1Win;
else character2Win;

In both case, we handle "post round" abilities like drain, and we adjust the player's properties.

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals