What strategy?

What strategy?
Saturday 14/04/2007, 12:19
Bloodmoor - Imperator English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
22 messages
What strategy?
Bloodmoor - Imperator English - Saturday 14/04/2007, 12:19

Ok...I'll gripe yet again about the random thing.Too many times it has most likely cost me a place in the top 10 at least.How's this one.....His: Meyen Str 7,no ability ,Stop Ab bonus (irrelevent) 3 pills played.Me: Graxmxxt Str 8 ,minus 5 attack bonus,Plus 6 attack Leader and 4 pills played.....I lose the round and ultimately the game.
Tell me this is a fair thing even considering the random factor.How in the world can a person have a strategy against these kind of heart-breakers?
« Previous123Next »

2/22
0 Prophet-Cr - Titan English
Saturday 14/04/2007, 15:11

Yh it's just stupid espically in tournaments where every win counts it's happened to me way too many times i lost in some impossible way and it annoys me, i suppose you jus have to live with it
3/22
The Lynxx - Titan - Army of Darkness English
Saturday 14/04/2007, 15:41

You may be new to Urban Rivals, so I will try to help you out. If you go to the "PLAY!" or to "THE GAME" tab and then "PLAY NOW!", there is a room called "Danger Zone". There is NO Randomizer in this whole room. The games played in "Danger Zone" count just the same in regards to the daily tournaments. This will COMPLETLY ELIMINATE ALL OF YOUR PROBLEMS with the random factor in some of your fights. Good Luck and Welcome to Urban Rivals.
5/22
Saturday 14/04/2007, 23:30

Obviously at level 39 Titan, I'm no new player.I would play in the Danger Zone...except that it seems to have been claimed by the ELO players.Just try getting a battle in there if you're not.Also the numbers are in the main room...so to be competative in the tournament points-wise...it is the ONLY room where the challenges can be frequent enough to afford a chance at the podium.
Thanks for trying to be a good clintz-citizen Lynxx and offering your help though.
6/22
Belsameth - Veteran English
Monday 23/04/2007, 20:50

Got a gripe about the randomizer as well, it seems FAR too random. A bit I won't mind but this is silly.
The last 3 games I lost due to *&$@^$^@)($^being shafted by that bloody thing... (A power 6 with 4 pills against a power 5 with 1. the P5 wins...)

How can you even hope to compete against that?
Sadly the Danger Zone isn't an option for me as I'm not yet of correct level but I must say I'm quickly losing the appetite to even try...
7/22
Daemonfire - Veteran - Missdarkness Guild English
Monday 23/04/2007, 22:08

I agree with the the annoyance of the randomness. It takes away from the strategy of the game, which is random enough, really. I understand the need for the randomness, however, because it adds tension and keeps it fun for the people who are just starting out. I would like to make a suggestion though. I think that is is more random than necessary. Right now, let's assume that two characters are fighting at 15 - 10. To me, this difference should be significant already, but with the current algorithm, the lower value still has a 40% chance to win, which seems really high.

I propose a quick and easy fix. Just take the square of these numbers! In a 3-2 ratio such as this, the difference would become 9-4. Suddenly, the second player only has about a 30% chance, and I would feel much better about the world. Well, maybe not about the world, but you see what I mean. It is still not an insignificant chance, but it keeps the values from being too close to being a coin toss. Even better, the difference gets significantly smaller as the numbers get closer together, maintaining a balance for rounds that are extremely close, such as 20-19 or something like that. This might only be applied to Dark Corners or something, but it would keep down the number of "bad beats" especially for larger differences.

I do like the idea of the Danger Zone and I will be there in 5 levels or so, but the randomness is sometimes fun, but not when it's so prevalent. That's my suggestion anyway.
8/22
Monday 23/04/2007, 23:04

Seems since I complained the random gods are paying me special attention.Last fight I was randomed 2 cards in a row...and one of them had only about a 23% chance of winning.I am really getting annoyed with the whole thing.Seems I can't fight without being hit at least a couple of times.Unlike Daemonfire....I don't understand the need for it at all.After all...the hands are randomly picked....the cards are all different...and the number of pills played is up to you.How much more variable do you need for an enjoyable game?
9/22
Kunduz - Hero English
Tuesday 24/04/2007, 03:58

Bloodmoor,i totally agree
i losed already so many battles because of randomness
once my 4 pilled Eyrton had lost to a 3level, 4pilled Armand (he had a half of eyrtons power), is this fair?
10/22
Malcomphnxevo - Novice English
Tuesday 24/04/2007, 04:36

What's interesting is looking at how the Danger Zone works it appears that the only change they made was to intercept the on kill event so that it checks to see if the power to power comparison can allow the kill. The randomness still exists in the Danger Zone, the underpowered card just can't pull off the final shot.

Going with the original poster's example, it would be 28 attack power on Meyen (7 x 4) versus 54 attack power on Skrum (8 x 5 strength, +6 Leader, +8 from Sarkohm bonus). If I understand how matches are calculated from the rules then that means Skrum has 54 chances to win out of a total of 82. That comes out to a 66% chance to win. The difference isn't as huge as you might think. I read in another post that in ELO matches the higher attack power is doubled, but that still means Skrum has 108 chances out of 136. That boosts the chance to win up to roughly 80% which means your opponent still has a one in five chance of pulling off the miracle win.

It's why random ELO matches are a contest of getting your opponent to overspend his Pillz in the first three rounds so you can match up your high strength character versus his low strength character in the final round. It's also what makes the All-Stars and Uppers so dangerous for their bonuses.

« Previous123Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals