So, I made my first steps in ELO...

Thursday 15/03/2007, 14:52
ibtd - Titan English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
10 messages
ibtd - Titan - Die FrettchenEnglish - Thursday 15/03/2007, 14:52

... and I have to say, I'm gonna stop playing in ELO mode again. I played like 15 - 20 matches or so and I am already sick and tired of all the Sakrohm, Ulu Watu and all the other -damage cards. It seems to me that thats everything ELO is about. Grab as much -dmg cards as you can and then grab as much power/damage as possible, preferably all in 1 card (Tenaereva, GraksmxxT (or was it Skrummxxt ? anyways... the damage reducer)), Charlie, Gaia, Wee Lee ... just to name a few. All these cards are imho a problem to ELO, especially the Ulu Watu and Sakrohm if their bonus triggers.

And although I was playing in the Danger Zone without the randomness, I had too much bad luck. While I had "normal" draws with 12-13* hands , my opponents too often drew 15-17* hands, one even had a 18* hand (sounds impossible ? well, it wasn't).

I am not crying for a rebalance or ban or something, don't even know why I write this. I am just saying that ELO is no fun for me and that I'll stop playing it.

GGs

2/10
andy111 - Legend - SVK Beasts English
Thursday 15/03/2007, 15:29

Elo is the only fun in urban rivals for me.howgh
3/10
0- JP - Titan - † OVER KILL † English
Thursday 15/03/2007, 23:36

Well bro, the fun is in making a deck and playing it with other people, i miss MTG but at least there is ELO where you can really test your skills as a TCG player. Andyobor looks like a Yugi fan, hehe!
GGs and don't lose hope!
4/10
Horus WMD - Divinity - Wise Men Distracted English
Friday 16/03/2007, 02:03

ELO is all about winning. It's a tournament format.
5/10
The Lynxx - Titan - Army of Darkness English
Friday 16/03/2007, 02:43

You said that players grab as much power/dammage as possible. Isn't that the basic idea of the game ? I agree with Andyobor and 0- JP NN, ELO is the only way that this game is interesting. I personally appreciate it when another ELO player destroys my deck (to a point). I then get to see what works and re-tool my own deck to make it better. Instead of being upset because someone has a better deck then I do, I turn around and build my own better deck. Just go get some more cards, and start to be the one destroying others, instead of getting destroyed.
6/10
ibtd - Titan - Die Frettchen English
Friday 16/03/2007, 09:25

I am not upset or something.

But it's exactly the reason why I quit MtG a while ago. You only had a very limited deck choice back then and it was boring and a pain in the ass when you couldn't afford one of those decks yourself. And here in Urban Rivals in ELO it seems to be worse because there are only 2 clans that are viable. If you don't have at least one of these clans in your deck, you are bound to lose. I ran into an incredible amount of decks that use both Ulu Watu and Sakrohm clans. One player had a hand of Teneareva, Wee Lee, GraksmxxT and SkrumxxT. While this is a godly draw, it perfectly demonstrates the issues I have with ELO. You cannot win against it because if you shutdown their bonusses or abilities, you most likely don't have the power to defeat those cards and if you have the power, you have trouble dealing damage, except you run the same stuff.

And Lynxx, most newer ppl can't afford a "re-tooling" and at that point it gets frustrating, just like in MtG when I quit.
7/10
69 hoodrich - Legend English
Friday 16/03/2007, 14:51

UR is just like any other tcg. You cant get mad or flustered because you are losing a matches. What your main issue may be is that you are rushing to ELO mode. If you cant afford or don't want to afford to put money in the game then play in the daily tournament and earn credits and clints to buy new cards. I can definitely empathize with you because i do notice a large number of sokrohm and Ulu Watu decks. But realize that with whatever clan you decide to use that there are going to be staples within that clan. With Pussycats its Yayoi and Charlie. Ulu Watu has taneareva to an extent, Wee Lee, Gaia and Nanook. sokrohm has Uranus, GraksmxxT. You cant treat this tcg any different from any other because it is an online game.
8/10
ibtd - Titan - Die Frettchen English
Friday 16/03/2007, 19:07

Well, I hate to quote myself, but here we go: I am not upset or mad or anything.

I know that each clan has strong cards (staple cards) and not so strong or even bad ones, but when I entered ELO I hoped there was enough variety in cards played. Apparently that hope was a very false one and the exact opposite is the case.

And yes, ELO is a tournament format and it's all about winning. I have no problem with that. Never said that. But if everyone is basically forced to take the same (few) cards to have at least a chance of winning, it comes down to a very stale and boring format, at least I feel that way.

I don't wanna spoil all of you guys fun, I just needed to vent I think.

I'll just stick to tournament play I guess. Maybe I'll try ELO again when I have more cards because although my Pussycats and Uppers seem quite strong, they are easily outclassed by Ulu Watu.

Anyways,

GGs
9/10
Fraggle - Admin - Clint Staff English
Friday 16/03/2007, 19:26

Hello,

First, ELO is definitly a difficult mode with experienced and very strong players, you should be prepared to that (I cannot go above 1200 pts myself).
As for the ELO meta-game, it's currently clearly around Ulu Watu, BUT:
We add new cards to the games regulary, the meta-game can (and will) change from time to time.
We also make polls sometime about removing a character from elo or altering it's stats if he is too strong regarding the others cards.
The french message boards is filled with ELO decks ideas that are quite differents, I'm sure some top players here will be able to give you some advices.

When you will fell at ease with ELO, you'll see that the experience is quite entertaining.
10/10
WMD Raven - Hero - Wise Men Distracted English
Friday 16/03/2007, 21:15

As an ex-MTG player myself, I can tell you that UR elo mode is a very challenging game, it's a fast, fun and dynamic mode, it's the only way a player can prove his skills, in normal mode you either play against low ranked players and you win by ko in turn 2 every game either you play against high ranked players and both have cards with 7-8 power and 7-8 damage and it's just like poker, not to mention the random factor in dark corners.
ELO is by far a more challenging mode for any player, and i have to dissaprove with you regarding Ulu Watu and Sakrohm, just like in mtg, the best deck is not the most played but the one that can defeat the most played deck in the metagame, remember that. way back when Madness decks ruled MTG metagame, the Elves managed to win many tournaments just because they distroyed Madness. The same goes here, I tried many deck compositions and I hadn't played nor Ulu Watu nor Sakrohm for 5 weeks now, and every week i managed at least a top 25.

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals