Urban Rivals
?
Register            Already signed up to the game →  
Click here if you forgot your password.

Important change: arrival of the Standard!

Wednesday 01/02/2012, 17:12
Euzebe - Legend English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
769 messages
Euzebe - Legend English - Wednesday 01/02/2012, 17:12

Hello all,

We made a series of interviews between the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012. These interviews persuaded us to complete a project we were thinking about for a long time: the setting up of a cards rotation system.

Right now there are 800 cards in the collection and it’s already too much for the game to run smoothly. The players who have all the cards always use the strongest of a clan and even if it makes them win matches they are frustrated not to see more variety. For their part, the beginners have to face a huge collection and they often feel quite lost.

We want to create a list that includes only characters released in the past two years (+ leaders and starter characters) and change several rooms which allow players to only use the characters in this list. We won’t impose this list in every rooms because our goal is not to stop you from playing the oldest cards, for example the DM T2 and Survivor T2 won’t change at all even if names will be different.

Let’s see what will happen in detail:

1/ Create a list of characters called «Standard» which will be updated every 6 months:
This list will contain Leaders, Starter Decks characters, all characters released within these last 2 years before the update (LD included) and characters which will be released after the update.
In practical terms it will give about ten characters allowed in each clan (with more or less the same number of characters in each level). Note that the new clans will keep all their characters. It will be taken into account in the cards releases planning. We will act as to give each clan what they need to be efficient.

2/ Creation of 3 new deck formats:
Extended Format: all characters allowed, no doubles, 40 stars max., equivalent to T2.
Standard Format: Standard characters only, 40 stars mac., no doubles.
Standard Format 25: Standard characters only, 25 stars max., no doubles, list of characters banned if it’s needed (for Leaders for example).
Note that the T1 format disappears.

3/ Finally, create or adapt battle rooms:
The Standard battle room : Standard Format with a DT every other hour.
Instead of opening a less than 26 stars (T1) room and a more than 26 stars (T2) one, you will have one single room BUT you’ll face opponents whose decks have a number of stars close to yours. This mechanism corresponds better to the reality of DTs today where every players try to find the good combination which will give the most points while winning matches with 20 to 30 stars decks. Merging the two rooms will allow you to keep this optimization spirit without the «artificial» side of the stars limitation. This flexibility combined with the Standard format will give a breath of fresh air to DTs while keeping specificity.

This room will be the ONLY DT room. There won’t be any T2, T1 or ELO Daily Tournament. We know that it’s not harmless and it was a very difficult decision to take. Some of you struggled a long time to obtain very expensive collectors which allow them to improve their results in DT and their disappointment is understandable. Nevertheless, DT’s today are clearly dominated by some decks not to say several highly efficient cards which is not healthy in a competitive game mode.

The ELO room: Standard format 25 (with potentially some bans), same rules except that there won’t be DTs in this room any more.
Use the Standard rules in the ELO mode sounds quite obvious to us. It will allow some regular changes to the mode and it will remove old characters which cause balancing problems. It should reduce the number of staff banned characters and no more characters banned by players.

About DT, we think that the ELO mode is pretty different from the DT. There is no reason to mix these two game modes. Today, ELO players have the opportunity to win free credits without playing in DT. Tomorrow they’ll have to choose between Dt and ELO which is already the case for players playing in other modes (Survivor or DM).

3 Deathmatch rooms:
Extended DM: Extended format, current DM rules.
Standard DM: Standard format, current DM rules.
Standard DM 25: Standard format 25, current DM rules.
The Extended DM will be equivalent to the current DM T2, only the name will change.
The Standard DM will allow players with big decks but with characters in the Standard list. The DM T1 will disappear and we’ll add a Standard 25 room. We noticed that the rare players in DM T1 were more ELO players than DT T1 players. We hope that the Standard DM 25 will be more used than the current DM T1 room. If it’s not the case, we will think about it. If there are DM T1 players here who are reading this message and Don’t want this change to Standard DM 25, Don’t hesitate to let us know.

3 Survivor rooms.
Extended Survivor: Extended format.
Standard Survivor: Standard format.
Standard Survivor 25: Standard format 25.
Same idea as Deathmatch.

And the rooms which won’t change:
Fight Club: the deck you want.
Warehouse: Training.
Warehouse no pillz: Training NoPill
« Previous12...789101112...7677Next »

91/769
badbigwlly - Titan - BrainZtorm English
Thursday 02/02/2012, 03:46

I like what DUC-Mentalist suggested regarding changing formats for battle rooms every couple hours as it would mean the possibility of rotating between Extended Format, Extended Format 25, Standard Format and Standard Format 25 within a single room based on a day to day or even an hour to hour schedule for a particular game mode much like how DT was exemplified.

Still thinking about what LOA Daigon said and wondering about packs in the future, "A different question could be: Will there ever be a need to make another card a Cr again?" One can dream of cracking open a DJ Korr Cr from an Ultra Titanium Extended pack can't they?
92/769
Steelie_MOB - Titan - Masters of Battle English
Thursday 02/02/2012, 03:52

Nintendan WMD - Titan - Wise Men Distracted
Today at 03:13
"If it’s not the case, we will think about it. If there are DM T1 players here who are reading this message and Don’t want this change to Standard DM 25, Don’t hesitate to let us know."
---------

Me right here!!!

---------

and me !, t1 was the only place i could really use the perma elo banned cards. while t2 just did not do it for me. some star restriction was way more fun. t1 DM please !
93/769
Ecna - Senior English
Thursday 02/02/2012, 03:56

@-- Hades -- "No one's wiping old cards, they're just basically putting them in a different room, right?"
Not really, if you can't use them in DT or ELO, or even T1 in any format, then they are useless. I mean, where the hell is one supposed to use a good but old 2-star card? In T2 DM? C'mon...

And there are a lot of people, who don't like survivor. DM gives you basically nothing, just a little clintz. So the only room that gives a chance to compete and excel are DT's and ELO - two modes most affected by the change.

And it's not really a point even, the problem is not that you can't use this or that card. The point is that new UR, especially ELO, becomes boring and predictable, full of exactly the same decks. And when some clans (inevitably) become more powerful than others, those clan decks will only be available to rich players, as their price will constantly rise. Which means, that with less variety of cards and decks tournaments will be won with money - there's no other way to put it.

I agree with post 84, there's basically none balance issue, that this change would resolve, while creating a whole lot of new problems. For some ideas to make a game more balanced, help newcomers and encouraging people to buy decks - see my previous post (no. 50). And even if you don't agree with those propositions, I'm sure there's some other way to solve problems WITHOUT wreaking havoc to the gamestyle.
94/769
XxMagicianxX - Titan English
Thursday 02/02/2012, 04:08

I am very unhappy about the changes to ELO.
ELO is fantastic because of its limitations (25*s, Player bans, perma bans...)
But THIS MUCH restriction is riduculous and LIMITS creativity:

SINCE THERE WILL ONLY BE ~10 CARDS PER CLAN, THE BEST DECKS WILL QUICKLY BE DISCOVERED AND WILL BECOME UBIQUITOUS IN THE STANDARD ROOM.

There will be 2 or 3 "best decks" that everyone will play!
95/769
E10din - Titan English
Thursday 02/02/2012, 04:13

Xxmagicianxx has hit the nail on the head in terms of the issue
96/769
Bemmoth - Titan English
Thursday 02/02/2012, 04:24

So, people who have not played for 2 years will basically only be able to get clintz from events, Fight Club, missions, and by buying credits and selling cards?
97/769
Thursday 02/02/2012, 04:43

Thank you ANON, and I appreciate all that you have added to this discourse.

Pragmatically, it will encourage newer players to collect the “standard” cards rather than all the playable cards from a few Clans. This will not be a less daunting task.

It is EXTRAODINARILY IRONIC that one of the objectives for the change is accessibility for newer players, yet the price of the heavily played standard cards will rise exponentially.

It will be hard for new players to acquire a good standard deck, whereas now it is not hard for players to acquire a very good and very cheap ELO deck (Roots, Uppers, … )
98/769
M1XTAPE - Legend Português
Thursday 02/02/2012, 04:49

It seems like the staff is trying to fix a "mistake" with another one. Urban Rivals is a trading card game and all TCG have a collection element. In an effort to try to make new players feel more comfortable with the game you will lose the older, dedicated players with this change. I for one have worked hard to obtain the collection I have and will be extremely dissapointed if I can't use it. Also in the post explaining the changes there is this phrase right at the beginning.

"The players who have all the cards always use the strongest of a clan and even if it makes them win matches they are frustrated not to see more variety."

Restricting the clans to 10 cards, more or less, will achieve the exact opposite of diversifying the cards used and there is absolutely NO viable argument to have that make sense. I'm awaiting to see what happens but I think this change, if it occurs the way that was explained in the post, will see the early retirement of many players of the game.
99/769
Thursday 02/02/2012, 04:55

Hahahaha

UR Problem: Lack of variety
UR Solution: Limit allowable cards per clan to about 10

I don't undertand...
100/769
DrTravelerLoA - Master - Legends of America English
Thursday 02/02/2012, 04:58

The first 6 months to a year are going to suck in ELO for All Stars. On top of the reduced base of cards, they'll have to deal with the fact that a lot of the new Protection Power cards will be in Standard for nearly 2 years without any SoA cards to counter them. They're basically heading face first into a brick wall in the metagame.

« Previous12...789101112...7677Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals