Would this be hard?

Would this be hard?
Wednesday 05/09/2012, 07:39
Tansur - Guru English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
8 messages
Would this be hard?
Tansur - Guru - The TrendEnglish - Wednesday 05/09/2012, 07:39

As far as programming goes, would it be difficult to make it so that each player can choose which development is shown of their characters on their cards? Not for everyone to see, just on their side. It would be horrible for players to have to remember visuals of all 2-5 versions of every character out there, but if they always saw the highest development, yet I could choose what I see it would make some characters a lot more appetizing to play with. There are some great character developments that I only get to see if I take the time to scroll through them when I'm bored, and some of them I like way more than the one I am forced to use. Thoughts?

2/8
DUC-Fabio - Titan - Dutch Urban Crew English
Wednesday 05/09/2012, 13:24

I wouldnt really like that
3/8
2sHaMe - Imperator - TRiNiTY English
Wednesday 05/09/2012, 14:43

?
4/8
Tansur - Guru - The Trend English
Wednesday 05/09/2012, 16:56

Well jeez, thanks for the feedback DUC. Imagine how different the world would be if you had just thought that, and not shared it with us all.

An example of actual feedback would be: "I wouldn't really like that because...."

Not sure what you wouldn't like though, since it would be optional for the player, and each person they play would see the same thing they do now.
5/8
DeepEnd - Imperator - Limit Break English
Wednesday 05/09/2012, 17:45

As a programming challenge: trivial.

In the user interface the change can be made in 2 lines of code + the tool to allow selecting of different graphics for the card. To user data that would make one additional array of card ID's + graph level that user wants to display with different graphics and thats about it.

Since this is just personal UI modification the data needs not to propagate to other users = No additional work or side effects either.

Basically simplest possible scenario...
6/8
ghelas - Titan - The Trend English
Wednesday 05/09/2012, 19:55

@Tansur: +1 for your reply to DUC. We have waaaaay too much of that going on on these boards... People like to chime in without any intention to contribute, I guess.

I think that it would be quite easy to write the code for it, and your suggestion of it being personalized seems like the best way to implement this idea. I've wanted something similar to this for a long time... There's a lot of art content in UR that we essentially never get to see otherwise, which is really a shame.
7/8
UM_AaaBattery - Moderator - URBAN MADNESS English
Thursday 06/09/2012, 18:12

It would be easyish to write the code for it but it would take up time they might like to spend else where as it would need to be coded, tested e.c.t
8/8
ghelas - Titan - The Trend English
Friday 07/09/2012, 03:22

My reasoning on this topic has always gone something like this...

I assume artists are paid some non-trivial sum per each piece of art they produce.

There are literally thousands of pieces of art that are already implemented in UR that serve no function for 95% of the players....

Therefore, implementing a system like this would give players access to hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of content that's already been paid for. Seems like it would be worth it.

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals