offline Tansur Hero The Trend
Saturday 20/10/2012, 01:49

I wonder what people would say if a clan came out with a bonus of +2 pillz.

offline subclavianHoA Imperator Harbingers of Ares
Tuesday 23/10/2012, 03:16

@Ghelas:

Ah, I see the disconnect. You're talking about 50-50 cards instead of clans and treating +pill as an ability. Having 1 or 2 pill manip cards in your deck is totally fine and not 50-50ish at all. Heck, I've used grudg to get to 1400 elo before and I'm a huge fan of Tremorh. A timely pill manip played in the third round is a great way to *prevent* 3rd/4th round 50-50s.

However, having an entire deck made up of pill manip cards is *very* chancey.. Instead of facing an opponent with Tremorh, you're facing a opponent with a hand of Tremorh Taham Nobrodroid and Gil. There's a very good chance your game will devolve into a 50-50. A pill manip card or two in a deck is fine. Making a clan full of them can very well lead to unnecessarily chancey situations. It's like the difference between putting Jean in your deck and playing mono GHEIST smiley

offline KillerYuri Hero  
Tuesday 23/10/2012, 03:41

smiley according to UR's style, the next clan should have a bonus as defeat: +2 life or something like copy bonus oppo, or even protect power and damage, let's see.

offline ghelas Titan E X C A L I B U R
Tuesday 23/10/2012, 06:16

@Subclavian:

I feel like it all comes down to good old-fashioned math... Let's imagine that abilities and bonuses (or is it boni?) are interchangeable. For our purposes, I think they are. Now let's go through your example.

The hand you're suggesting is definitely a bit scary under the right conditions. A 3-round win is possible against many hands, and an early Gil win or something like that does set up a 50/50 situation (if you don't block the next pill manip guy, and you're probably going to lose.) But here are some important differences between that hand and the proposed clan:

1) There's a lot more pill manip than 2 per card. Gil has 3 and Nobrodroid has 4.
2) Because of the Junkz bonus, all of these cards have attack manip built in. That is important because it makes 3-rounding with this hand much easier. What are the odds that, when playing mono Theoretical Clan, I will draw a hand full of 8 attack manip on ability?

This is why #2 is really important... Imagine that I attack you with a 2-pilled Gil. Now imagine that because you are pretty sure he's a 1-pill bluff, you just 3-pill a 7 power with, say, a damage bonus. Gil still wins, resulting in a net loss of not 3 but 4 pills. See how the attack manip functions there?

If you can imagine a hand where everybody has +2 pills, and diverse abilities instead of all +8 attack, you will probably find that it is much less likely to create a 50/50 3 round situation.

Answer to this subject

Clint City, day.