Urban Rivals
?
Register            Already signed up to the game →  
Click here if you forgot your password.

Forum Operators, Operators, Moderators and Event Team?

Sunday 04/08/2013, 17:47
XC-MerLiN - Legend Русский

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
7 messages
XC-MerLiN - Legend - E X C A L I B U RРусский - Sunday 04/08/2013, 17:47

Do we need all the 4 categories? The event Team people can edit, and they can ably support the moderators, so why not promote the current Forum Operators and Operators to Moderators?
Putting them in the Event Team will be a bad idea, and just kicking them back to membership is also not fair.
The old mods who are there only in name, but haven't moderated in any way for the last 6 months can be shunted back, if you wish.
But keep it simple at least, and bring in more transparency is my humble opinion.
Btw, going by the looks of it and the wonderful job they are doing, the En Event Team rocks. They are actually moderating the forum.
I don't see any mods except a few around in the forums, or is it just me who think so?

2/7
XC-MerLiN - Legend - E X C A L I B U R Русский
Sunday 04/08/2013, 17:51

Or do you think we need a few more categories. Guild Liaison Officers (to shuttle between guilds and ensure diplomacy works), International Alliance (multi-lingual mods having power over many language speaking people rather than one), No-good but Still There (mods who did nothing in to earn their keep, but are still, mysteriously, mods); etc. Can add a few more categories if you like.
3/7
COLOSSAL-TCA - Novice - Time Conquers All English
Monday 05/08/2013, 00:28

So much WIN

I'd sign on for a 'PILLZ REGULATOR (PR)' who can sneak into watch your GAME and blacklist players when they OLD.
4/7
Myeltd - Legend - Limit Break English
Monday 05/08/2013, 01:10

What we need are newer, "fresher" mods in addition to what we currently have now. As of making this post, I have a combined 13 members of the moderator/operator/forum-operator staff on my blacklist compared to just one on my friends list. This, combined with the non-availability of most of the english-speaking staff at key times sorta forces me to avoid using the forums during the hours that I'm usually on. Adding newer people with these privileges would help alleviate the problem, and would potentially give the veteran players something else to aim for.
5/7
XC-MerLiN - Legend - E X C A L I B U R Русский
Monday 05/08/2013, 01:55

Lucky that the Event Team is there. Actually,. they are moderating and giving players, advices, etc. All in all, I don't see why not the Event Team be given full moderator privileges PLUS the powers to decide in consultation with mods, as of now, the prizes for events, so that moderators can continue doing whatever mysterious work they are currently doing, and En community will get an infusion of freshness into their daily routine.
Like they say, lead by example.
If you have a look, we can see that the mods were all good players, ONCE UPON A TIME. But that doesn't help our cause. Please make sure that mods like any other player, is rewarded based on both the quality and quantity of hours they clock in, number of posts they make in the board, etc.
Then this game will become better. And I have always wished for a better UR.
6/7
COLOSSAL-TCA - Novice - Time Conquers All English
Monday 05/08/2013, 12:14

On a more serious note:

Whether current Moderators deserve their position or not, is a difficult question to answer. More goes on behind the scenes than most players are aware of. Sure, most of our current Moderators rarely post on the forum, but that doesn't mean they are not doing their job/duty 'undercover' as it were.

Take Artemis-BZ for example. Rarely ever posts on the forum, but he/she is the one who probably does the MOST 'tidying up' of forum topics. ANY Introductions/Recruitment topic that had failed to meet the requirements of post, are nearly all organized by this Moderator.

Other Moderators may rarely appear on the forum, but they may be doing a ton of work behind the scenes. Answering player's questions, dealing with scams, foul language, blacklists e.t.c e.t.c So just because you don't see this Moderator around, doesn't necessarily mean they aren't there. Moderators have their OWN forum where they can discuss important things too.

I also know that several Moderators are very busy with work right now, or are on holiday, I don't think we can say that these Mods MUST be active ALL the time, in order to deserve their position. That said, there may be a few of them that probably are so inactive now, that their position just isn't justified anymore (no names mentioned) But that's very difficult to tell and only really a Moderator themselves can validate those assumptions. Because, for the rest of us, that's what they are, ONLY assumptions. We have NO way to prove anything and its totally NOT our place to say anyway.

I agree there are PLENTY of GREAT players that REALLY deserve to be a Moderator and would be great at that position. i reckon I could make a list of OVER 20 names, if I sat down and thought about it. But since the forum now automatically validates most topic and posts, everyone has been left with much less to do.

The biggest job is now dealing with Private Messages, questions from players and reports of varying abuse, this can actually take up quite a lot of time. But that's pretty much about it now. Other than the recent abundance of SCAM threads, there isn't much that really needs to be done in terms of MODERATION, here on the forum. The whole EN forum could POTENTIALLY be covered by no more than THREE really active players.

As for the Event Team, we were actually told NOT to interfere too much with the Moderator's duties. But, when it comes down to it, we are pretty much doing exactly the same thing. The only real thing that Mods can do, that we can't, is blacklist players.

Even though we were told NOT to interfere too much with Moderator's duties, SOME of us have been validating topics/posts, locking subjects, when they needed to be locked and answering questions when they were asked. I think that's been all to the better on our part. But when a player PMs me with something that I can't physically do anything about, all I do is forward that message onto a Moderator anyway.

But I've found, personally, that there really isn't THAT much to do now. Running and organizing events is far more time consuming than dealing with the forum and player issues. Though, in fairness, I appear invisible ALL the time, so maybe players aren't contacting me as much as others.

As for the Event Team becoming Moderators, personally, I'm NOT active enough on UR to justify this position, I'd turn it down. I'd probably accept one on Fantasy Rivals, because I'm much more active over there. But I barely have enough time to run events, let alone do anything else.

Basically what I'm trying to say in a nutshell IS:

None of us (not even Event Team) know TRULY how active some Moderators are and I think you'd be mistaken on most of them. But I, like you, think there are a couple of them that probably shouldn't be there anymore, but that's just PROBABLY. I think some NEW BLOOD would be a good thing too. Event Team really aren't supposed to have been intervening with Moderator's duties anyway, some of us have just been doing it anyway, but we weren't TOLD to do it.

As for all these different positions and titles, I 100% agree, they're just ridiculous. Just make every Forum Operator and Operator (there are a massive TWO in total) a Moderator and be done with it. As for Event Team having the same function as Moderators, I don't see any harm in that, but some of us simply don't have the time to moderate AND run events TOGETHER. Well, I don't anyway.

edited by Goralion Monday 05/08/2013, 12:14
7/7
Goralion - Admin - E X C A L I B U R English
Monday 05/08/2013, 12:21

Thank you Colossal for your explanations.

Mods are not here to post everywhere, they are here to moderate the website's communication systems and also to help players. Everyone on the team is doing is / her job. The mod / event team organization is decided by the company, which has its reasons to organize those teams the way they are.

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals