Urban Rivals
?
Register            Already signed up to the game →  
Click here if you forgot your password.

Changes to the ELO mode and new banned characters.

Friday 28/01/2011, 14:47
Euzebe - Legend English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
533 messages
Euzebe - Legend English - Friday 28/01/2011, 14:47

As of January 31st 2011, Copper, Bridget, Rolph, Rowdy, Lou, Shann, Emeth and Oshitsune will join the list of characters permanently banned by the staff in the ELO mode.
This month will also see the launch of some new experiments in ELO. During the weeks to come it will no longer be possible to play “semi-evolved” characters in this mode. In addition to this, the starting life points in the ELO room will be set at 15.
If these changes prove to be successful, they can become a permanent feature.

You’ve been asking for a more strategic ELO mode with a less decisive chance factor (on cards draw and pillz).
Semi-evo cards appeared to be a big advantage for those who can afford them. We’ve hesitated quite a while on banning them because we didn’t want to deprive you of using some interesting and balanced semi-evo characters but there are just a few of them compared to all those which can skew the game. From now you’ll have to fully evolve your characters if you want to use them in ELO.
Regarding the life points rise, it will prevent the easy two-shots and then reduce the domination of high damage characters. They are still important in this mode but they won’t be able to win the match too easily now.
It’s still a test. Don’t hesitate to tell us your feelings about it on the forum so as to make the ELO mode satisfactory for everyone.
« Previous12345678910...5354Next »

51/533
kwecky_OK - Legend - Organized Konfusion English
Friday 28/01/2011, 16:49

Cool, 15 life, maby Freaks are better now
52/533
UM_Fox - Legend English
Friday 28/01/2011, 16:52

Bye-Bye Rowdy old friend....
Anywho, interesting shake up. Is there a correlation between the jump to 15 life and the new +heal cards?
Not sure to be honest.
I`m just glad UR are trying to keep the game fresh and interesting so
53/533
Orpheus - Legend - §§ Les Gentlemen Ténébreux §§ English
Friday 28/01/2011, 16:53

Hello all,

I see that the reactions to the changes in ELO vary widly in different countries, and even inside this forum.

The thing that seems to bother most of you is the change to the number of Life Points in ELO.
There are reasons to those changes, and they derive mostly from players' requests or complaints. This solution is the one we chose out of a number of options, the one which we found most satisfying.

But the good news is : this is a test, and not a definitive decision. It might be kept as is, might be slightly modified or put aside altogether. We might keep some aspects and change others, maybe we will see that some characters must be banned and other un-banned.

So I suggest we all take the time to see how these temporary changes will impact the game, and make our minds as we go on. I believe it might just work as it is.

Heal has been conceived for the whole game, not just ELO, and the next characters may be very different from the ones currently available, we're still toying with this new idea.

As for Lou : our recent experiments in ELO staff bans show us that the Roots were played and won games even without her, but that with her they just dominated the scene. No, XU isn't exactly the same problem, which doesn't mean he can't be adressed in due time if need be. And Fuzz is much less played, probably because of the rest of his clan as opposed to Roots options and global strategy.

Our goal is to make more enjoyable ELO environment for, well obviously not everyone, but most of the players. We try this way, let's hope it will work but if it doesn't we'll try another way. We all want the same thing : having the best possible game and enjoy it together !!

Good game to y'all
54/533
Pilluminati - Legend - URBAN MADNESS English
Friday 28/01/2011, 16:58

Oh would you guys stop complaining

Copper being erased didnt kill the sentinels...if anything they have their new successor...anyone forget about Owen?with his mass nuking ability in the new ELO format of 15?He's gonna get banned soon,first one to call it.Watch.
Bridget was obvious,guess it's going to be a war with Timber,Ashigaru,and Vholt as the ELO Leader survivor...even though i think Vholt wont last as he'll get banned too with some Pussycats.
Rolph,i found overpowering.Nothing to stop from Wardom getting in on it though.Wardom goes bye-bye too,on account of Roots converts.
Lou...i like this ban.the low pill strategy abuse with the Roots have gone on for far too long now.hopefully,you thrash some Uppers too,like Nellie,and Herman,so that they're not as cheap/abusive either.
Shann is self-explanatory.cant wait to see how long it is before Bodenpower gets the hook.

continued in post 2
55/533
PL_frostbyte - Imperator - Pinoy Locals English
Friday 28/01/2011, 17:05

I think they anticipated a lot of DRs for that 15 life so they released cards with -opp life min x ability
they also thought of how people would react with SOA and to deal with that they got strong Stop: ability cards
This also gives the heal cards more potential with their problem with 2 hit KOs reduced.
Which means more possibilities for your life to stay in the range for the heal to activate.

I still hate it though. I'm expecting Freaks, Jungo and Sakrohm to make more appearances in elo.
Then other clans will also have to get -opp life min x or heal abilities to compensate.
Now elo is gonna be more about life manipulation.
Isn't that the point of survivor?

But seriously, don't call 2 hit KOs easy. most of the time you have to trick the opponent so your 2 hit KO gets through.
That's strategy, please don't call it easy two-shots.
56/533
Pilluminati - Legend - URBAN MADNESS English
Friday 28/01/2011, 17:07

Continued from post one

Rowdy getting banned,im personally not fond of,but you know...the Junkz survive.they always do somehow,with Gibson,Jiro,Tremorh,Gil,etc bringing up the rear,they'll live.
emeth,im kind of neutral on.On one hand im kind of happy,because it gives other LJ's the chance to thrive,but on the other hand,i never really got him out seriously in ELO.And then,he pretty much was the centerpiece of 1300 LJ ELO week,so i harbor no ill will towards him.
Oshitsune,im not surprised with.Caelus getting banned made it obvious that he'd hit the ground too.it seems this might slightly weaken the nightmares,but nothing that they cant handle.until there next release,that is.

And with that,i think there's going to be a lot of Jungo,not as much Freaks,and cards like Oxen/Owen in ELO lurking,it seems like a new deadly ELO world out there,and it might get more dangerous by the hour.
57/533
ON_Ragnarok - Titan - Carry ON Português
Friday 28/01/2011, 17:11

Bans: With new changes, Lou is the only odd card there, maybe there will be an unbanning announcement soon including Shakra/Ratahna?

EVOs: I never used them, and I agree with the "big advantage for those who can afford them" argument but still... Why do we need to evolve cards anymore? Are EVO worth being used in DTs and DMs? If not they are useless. How about changing ELO gains and losses if EVO cards are involved in matches? Would it "level" the playfield? Also liked the ELO 15 idea

Life change: Opens more strategies, Kills OHKOs, de-evens the UR 12-12 rule. Makes certain cards/clans more usefull, cripples (sometimes even further) even more cards and clans

Freaks are a clan whose cards, usually, have awesome abilities to compensate for their somewhat "weak" bonus. Will Freaks start getting more junk if this changes prove to be permanent making their bonus more usefull?

FPC were already unexistent in ELO, but seems like Junta will join them soon since they can't even support more heavy hitters to OHKO with 15 life, now that EVO is gone. The loss of Emeth is the final nail in the coffin.

This announcement should have been done sooner. Also should be tested first (optional beta) instead of just shoving this changes down our throats and ask us to swallow it. At least it's not a defenitive change. Heck maybe we may like it but I'm not so sure

Also, Heal cards shouldn't be revamped just because of ELO, since it's not the only mode in UR
58/533
Vinyl-Scratch - Titan - D-Versified English
Friday 28/01/2011, 17:19

What the, you seriously banned those cards. Bridget, really and Lou. Come on, you need to stop banning these cards that aren't overpowered and unban some cards.

Why is Wanda still banned? With the new changes to semi evo's she can't be abused. Same with charly (or however she spelt)

The evo banning and life changes are the only useful changes here. Gives a sweet change to the game. But another sweet change would be unbanning some permi banned cards. If they prove to powerful then just simple reban. You can get nowhere without testing ideas.
59/533
Vinyl-Scratch - Titan - D-Versified English
Friday 28/01/2011, 17:22

"Or better yet

with 15 life

why dont u unbann all perma banns and see how it goes in the firest few months, then re-introduce perma, just so you can see how it has affected the game" great idea
60/533
BesucherXia - Titan - XiongDang Deutsch
Friday 28/01/2011, 17:30

I am finding this change positive.
New life count does hurt 2HKO, but it does not hurt high damage cards in general like it encourages -LIFE nukes.

All these bans are not a surprise as they frequently appear on the temp/player ban list too, just a little unfair for those who can not find subs.

Great effort in nerfing GHEIST and boosting Freaks.

« Previous12345678910...5354Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals