ELO is not broken (a magical rant)

Monday 29/10/2012, 23:56
ghelas - Admin English

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO
76 messages
ghelas - Admin - The TrendEnglish - Monday 29/10/2012, 23:56

I hear a lot of complaints about ELO mode these days, what with cards like Kalindra and Askai roaming free.
I think these come from people focusing too much on cards that are individually strong and not enough on which cards have good synergy. Right now, building a good ELO deck is a fun puzzle. Which cards are banned this week? What can I do to counter the strong cards that aren't banned? While everyone is busy complaining, I am having the time of my life.

Let's take a look at Kalindra (the card people complain about most) and then take a look at some possible half-decks in two different clans, FPC and Pussycats. Think about using Fei, Chan, Shifou, and Zhu Tang -- three of those cards can easily beat Kalindra pill-for-pill, and the forth lets you threaten a fairly big life-per-damage gap of your own. Think about using Clover, Charlie, Lucy, and Ella in a Pussycats half-deck... All of these reduce Kalindra's damage so hard, that it's impossible for her to be the huge threat she usually is.

I think the definition of "OP" in this game is starting to change. When most players say a card is "OP" they now mean "I have to work to counter this card, and I don't wanna." A card that forces you right out of your comfort zone and into a creative deck you would have never tried otherwise is *good,* both for you and for UR. IMO, you can complain, or you can step up your deck-building game. The choice is yours.

Sincerely,
14/4 with an Ulu/Vortex deck so far this week.
« Previous12345678Next »

51/76
0 Anderson - Titan - UTOPiA English
Saturday 03/11/2012, 07:11

I always thought the die hard players were the consistent Elo players hence the endless hours the spend a week playing this game.
52/76
0 Anderson - Titan - UTOPiA English
Saturday 03/11/2012, 07:16

I think you may be misconstruing opinions with facts now, Ghelas. Eitherwise you would have stopped this thread awhile ago as it seems you are just cycling your opinions on and on
53/76
wasteroftime - Moderator - Open Casket English
Saturday 03/11/2012, 08:08

I dont think people are actually talking the same language here...

newer player - perceives that elo is good/bad. bases opinion on experience on current system
veteran player - perceives that current elo is better/worse. bases opinion on experience with current system in comparison to previous systems

are either opinions wrong?? well.. no, not really. but only the second player is in a position to have an informed opinion on how the new compares to the old.

the two perceptions cannot really be compared since both are based on different sets of information.

does elo require luck and skill... ofcourse it does. can we all have opinions on how much luck and skill is needed... well ofcourse we can.

is there a point in discussing another player's perception of the luck-skill balance/ratio of the current system in comparison to the older systems if the people in the discussion do not both have experience in the older and newer systems... well no, it would be a waste of time since
54/76
subclavianHoA - Imperator - Harbingers of Ares English
Saturday 03/11/2012, 08:34

@ghelas and paladin:

lol, I think M-bison played a trick on both of ya His challenge was a bit tongue-in-cheek, and most of his challengers were playing for fun. I distinctively remember using a 10* preevo Pcat deck made entirely out of wandas against him in that challenge
55/76
Endymio_DvF - Titan - D-Versified English
Saturday 03/11/2012, 14:17

When you get rid of the guards, the inmate start running the asylum. I think there are a few too many guards on the ban list.
56/76
-Glacier- - Imperator English
Saturday 03/11/2012, 15:43

While luck is an inherit part of ur due to it being a card game, It is more a factor now than it was before, simply due to the new cards and playstyle of people
57/76
ghelas - Admin - The Trend English
Saturday 03/11/2012, 15:48

@Waster: You're right, of course -- but it's hard for me to listen to some of the stuff that gets said about ELO and not say anything...

@Subclavian: Hah! That clears things up a bit!

@Anderson/everyone else: Sorry, I am probably beating a dead horse at this point. Maybe we can take this thread into a new direction, or start another. I would love to see more discussion on decks and playstyles that aren't "the same old thing."
58/76
KillerYuri - Hero - PokiMaBuoni English
Tuesday 06/11/2012, 09:55

@4DPaladin
he fought any deck with his 20* Piranas deck?

Are you kidding us? Even a 6 year old child can beat his poor Piranas with 8 Jackie Cr.
59/76
KillerYuri - Hero - PokiMaBuoni English
Tuesday 06/11/2012, 20:27

Hey people look at this:

http://www.urban-rivals.com/community/forum/?mode=viewsubject&subject_page=2&id_subject=2204283

so all together I got what you mean:

don't complain about OP cards, let's complain about the whole clan!

Funny!
60/76
DUC-j00p - Titan - Dutch Urban Crew English
Tuesday 06/11/2012, 21:02

Vs 8 tyds?

« Previous12345678Next »

Urban Rivals | Free Online Manga Trading Card Game | TCG | MMO

The Urban Rivals team is made by lovers of all kind of Collectibles Cards Games and Trading Cards Games like: Magic the Gathering, Dominion, Vampire, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Wakfu TCG, Assassin Creed Recollection, Shadow Era, Kard Kombat and Might & Magic Duel of Champions.

Play our other addictive free to play online TCG: Fantasy Rivals