Hello Urban Rivals players,
In response to recent inquiries about RB card changes, we have decided to share some new information with you.
One of our biggest goals is to modernize Urban Rivals and make it marketable to a new generation of players. We strongly believe that this is in the interests of all of our players. In an indirect way, more players means more valuable collections for everyone, as well as new friends, guild mates, and of course, rivals! In the course of our development of modernization of UR, we came across a big problem. Some of our old art is not up to current standards and technical specifications. We had an urgent need to start cycling old art out of the game, and we decided to change the purpose of RB cards a little in order to help us meet that goal. We apologize for the abruptness of the change and any unintended effects it had on the collection values of some of our players.
We would like to share with you a small preview of UR's work-in-progress card redesign. This great initiative is what made the conversion to more modern, high-res art a necessity. We think you will be pleased with the results:
Regarding compensation for players who have purchased or won RBs, we have some updated information in the Rebirth 2.0 thread for you as well. We believe we have found a solution that will satisfy the needs of every player who has supported our original release of RB cards. Thank you for your patience, and all of your ideas, which helped us to arrive at a good solution for everyone.
Correction to my questions. "The image suggests not" was meant to mean that the image suggests that Rbs can't become Cr. I worded it badly.
There's an additional group of cards I'm concerned about: Rass, Kiki, Berserkgirl, their Cr versions, Miss Chloe, and Gaia Noel. Will these be left out of Rb? Naming the first six could be confusing if they're included.
It sounds like some old artwork would cause technical problems for the new game mode. I'm guessing a large number of cards will eventually be replaced. I'm not sure what the point of the old ones will be if they can't ever be used in the game.Although, its not like a card like armanda cr can really be used either and it still holds value.
"So I take that to mean the old cards will not be playable, but are not being removed. Is this correct? That raises a lot of questions that I don't know if you have the authority to answer at this time."
I believe they will still be playable, but I'm not certain exactly how it will be handled. We're still in the process of figuring out some aspects of this design.
1. What will be the point of having an old version card? Mere collection and trading, yes?
Unsure, for the reasons above.
2. If the old cards are to be preserved, will there be means for newer players to obtain them, a la Cr?
I think they will be available on the market, but I'm not sure whether or not they would be given out as prizes for special events and so on.
3. If the old cards are not obtainable in packs, why are they not classified as Cr?
This is a different system with some different implications. Most importantly, a Cr card is taken out of circulation, whereas an RB card just means a version of the card with new art is in circulation instead.
4. The Big 5 are all of the outdated art style. Will they (or any Cr) be receiving Rb versions as well?
I'm not certain. We may discuss this point with the community in the near future.
5. Inversely, will Rb cards be ineligible for Cr status? The image suggests not.
I am not 100% certain, but I think we will keep the Cr and Rb systems apart from each other, so the answer is probably no.
6. In case the answer to 4 is yes, will the Soliel cards be ineligible for Rbs due to their publisher arrangement?
This is another question I'm unfortunately not sure about yet. Sorry.
7. Also related to 4, how would the rarities of such cards be factored? The original pre-cr rarity or default to rare?
As I'm unsure about 4, I can't answer this one either.
8. Will Rbs be limited to only cards with incompatible art for the new age? No Huracan or Riots, etc.
I believe so.
I would appreciate a response, but I understand if your not allowed to or if these changes are too early in-work to have finalized answers.
1) With the changes to Rb are you planning to release rbs more regularly or even have a large rb release where multiple rbs are released. Also are you planning to release all the old cards as rb at some stage and does this include Crs?
We are planning to release RBs regularly. I don't think it will cover all old cards, however. I do not think we'll see RB versions of CR cards, but I can't be 100% certain of this as of yet.
2) Will the original artwork cards get some way to show there different e.g an add on to the name, a small (classic) lable, different colour e.c.t
I don't believe so.
3) Will the classic artwork be given out in any way, or is it still available in anyway at the moment.
I'm not sure what you mean. The cards with classic artwork themselves will not be available any longer. I suppose they could be distributed as special prizes and so on, but I'm not sure that this will ever happen (and it will probably be in very rare cases.)
4) Will classic cards be playable in the updated UR and how will they look?
I'm not sure yet as the rework is still in progress.
"ALso of note Next time an rbs releases cancleing all sales of the old card would be a good idea to stop people quickly buying them from other people."
We have no plans of doing that at this time. The RB system is different than the CR system, and classic version of cards will probably not be valued so highly, as they are numerous and instead of leaving circulation entirely, simply have versions with upgraded graphics in circulation.
"I had an idea, it might make things easier for new players if the rb is removed from the rb cards and they are treated as the normal version of those cards and instead the classic artwork gets something added to the card. Eg instead of Nanook Rb and Nanook its Nanook and Nanook (classic)"
I don't think this will happen, as another change of this system would be disorienting to players. We'll stick with the current version.
"then develop a tool that allows people to choose the art THEY see, the opponent still sees that new art
people have been asking for the ability to select art for years now -- give it to them"
That could be an interesting feature, as it solves the problems with older proposals of the idea. I will recommend this.
1) I really think market sales should be cancelled like Crs. I see no advantages to not doing it apart from ,maby, keeping the prices a little lower and also allowing players who are online at the time of the announcement to make clintz, also unless the announcement is made at 100% the same time in every community, this goes for pre-views and sneak peeks of artwork aswell, then your giving an advantage to players from other countries.
Classic cards might not reach the same prices as crs but they will still be more expensive. take Ashley for example, she went from 200 - 4000ish. This isn't much of a jump but a player who was online for the announcement could still make a bit by buying loads of copies and some players who had their cards brought before the announcement will be unhappy.
Im not saying do the wait a week before opening the sales again like crs, just a small version where just before the announcement all sales are cancelled and then 5mins after the announcement allow people to sell them again.
2) I agree changing rbs to normal named ones and then putting something like classic on the old cards could be a little bit confusing for current players but I think it will be better in the long run for when new players start so they don't keep coming across rb cards and wondering what they are. Rb will be the version new players come across in their packs and after a time I think they will be the cheaper version on the market.
This is why I think it should be done now to give current players a chance to get use to the card swapping when a new ones released, before a load more are released making it even more confusing if it turns out to be a good idea and needs to be implemented. Also due to the cards stats not changing it shouldn't be that confusing, players have put up with rass and rass cr e.c.t lol.
3) I also think Rb cards should start in New blood packs to try and keep their prices low. If the plan is to have them as the version new players will come across the most having them really expensive is not a good idea. Its also going to slowly inflate the prices of old cards because each rb release will also increase the price of the original version meaning its harder for new players to get their hands on some cards maby only they will play, also having rbs more expensive than the original version means the original version is still the version new players end up getting completely defeating the object of the rbs in the first place.
They don't even have to be in the packs for as long as completely new cards. Maby half as long.
I like some of your ideas... However, I tthink for most of this stuff, we're going to have to wait and see. The new system should work out well for our players, and once we have a lot more data on how things are going, we may make some more small adjustments. We definitely need a period of time where we're just looking at how it all works out in reality rather than speculating on the best way to implement it.
I 100% agree that all market sales of a card should be canceled when a new Rb is introduced. It isn't any different from a CR announcement. When a card is removed from packs, market players are going to raise the price. All of the cards affected by the change this week made a significant jump in price.
The only reason not to is if having a Rb version of a card released reduces the value of the old card. I'm not even sure that would happen is if the old version was completely unplayable due to technical limitations.
This is soooooooo stupid! If they just wanted to change the art to be compatible with the new game, why didn't they do a straight swap and just update everyone's old cards with the new art. We al wake up and go: Oh, look, my War Dog has new artwork. Cool! Instead of bothering with all this Rb and collectible crap and keeping the old artwork and stuff...