Hi, I'm badna0, and I'm a pretty avid DT player. Not a tournament victor (yet), but have managed respectable top 10 finishes, a few top 5's, and a personal best of 803 bp. I'd like to give a few pieces of advice for dt's.
Trying to improve on the previous iteration of this guide: http://www.urban-rivals.com/en/community/forum/?mode=viewsubject&forum_page=0&id_subject=2049903&subject_page=0#answers
Since the abolishment of T1/T2, I don't feel a lot of the DT rules mentioned in the guide are as relevant as they used to be. I'd like to outline a few principles for constructing and playing a good DT deck.
1. Building a deck: Aiming for a higher star count (27-30-ish stars) is usually a good idea. A good deck simply needs several nukes with good round winning potential in order to put 2hko pressure.
Links to good decks:
First Place-In Spyke We Trust V2 (standard)
DT Standard Conquered (standard)
E PER LA PRIMA VOLTA!!!!!! (extended)
The strongest decks that I've seen have these higher star counts. Notice how some of these decks can be relatively cheap, too. (
* 2H-KO: It should be your goal to have a 2hko threat in every hand. If your draw doesn't have a good 2hko threat, your remaining hand should have excellent walls so you can win at least 2 and hopefully 3 rounds.
* Avoid HUGE LIFE GAINERS (cards that can win the game with one victory... but NOT end it, Kenny cr, Aylen). You want cards that can chunk with minimal risk. Spyke, Raeth, Havok, Sammy... these are all good dt nukes.
* Avoid POISON/HEAL. Landing one of these cards pretty much guarantees the match will go 4 rounds. If you've overpilled the card, then you won't be able to win more than 2/4. Might as well use a direct damage card and end that same match in two rounds.
* ATTACK MANIP CLANS are very strong: they allow you to win rounds with minimal risk, and they can force pills from your opponents. Try to use at least one of these in your deck.
* AVOID DR. Your goal is to finish quickly. Don't plan on losing more than one round a match.
* BANNED cards: Avoid them! Maximum one -2 card is what I aim for in a deck. Note that this often hurts a whole clan. You can see the list of cards without going through game rules here: http://www.urban-rivals.com/en/game/tournaments/history/
2. Play fast! "Win fast, lose faster." is tried-and-true advice for success in dt. 2hko's are excellent, make sure that you're ending the game with the lowest * card (to maximize bp gain).
A few tips:
* If you have a guaranteed ko in a round, take it. Exception: if you can milk all 4 rounds and win all 4 (say, via pill gain or massive attack/power manip), or 3 rounds, then do that.
* Round 1 (Generally speaking): Play your nuke, aggressively pilled in round 1. With significant 2hko threat and proper play, your chances of winning the game are >70% if you win R1 with a nuke. (your opponent has to predict when you're 2hko'ing, as well as pill properly).
* Round 2: If any of your cards can threaten a 2hko, play that card in round 2. Force your opponent to read your plays.
* The SOFT 2HKO: Playing a card that will ko with about half your pills works wonders. 90% of opponents will either underpill (and you ko), or assume you went all-in and overpill, leaving you at even pill or advantage.
* PLAY FAST. I cannot say this enough. Have your play ready in under 5 seconds, and aim to finish ~25 fights in the hour. That means most of your fights should end in 3 rounds (or 2)
* Enter key. Mashing the enter key after a fight ends gets you into the next fight much more quickly. You never know, it could mean an extra fight.
* The tournament starts on the hour. Any fights started before the tournament starts DO NOT count! I'd advise refreshing the page until the text reads "Tournament in progress" before I enter quickbattle.
* As long as you start your last game before the tournament ends, you will still get points.
4. Know the scoring (as of 14/5/2013):
||- Defeat: +5 points
||- Draw: +10 points
||- Rounds played (in which each player has bet at least one pillz): 1 = 1 point, 2 = 2 points, 3 = 4 points, 4 = 8 points.
||- Rounds won: 1 = 2 points, 2 = 4 points, 3 = 9 points, 4 = 16 points.
||Victory Bonus (only in the event of a win)
||- Win: +15 points
||- A win with at least one pillz left at the end of the fight: +2 points
||- A win with at least 12 life points left: +2 points
||- A win with fewer stars in your deck than your opponent’s: +1 point per star. Max 5 pts.
||- KO: +2 points
* Obviously, win if you can. Don't ever give up a win.
* Win more rounds. a 3 round win starts around 23 bp. a 4 round win starts around 27bp. Winning a 3rd round adds 5 to this (28 and 32 bp). These are before bonuses.
* Use the Bonuses. Leave a pill if you can, fury if you need to ko.
* Play aggressively. Winning two rounds in a loss can pull a respectable 17 or so bp.
Wish you guys best of luck with your tournaments!
Nice guide , all I would like to add is to mention that you should always turn all the extra game animations off when playing in dt's. Turning off the animations alone can give you 2-4 more games and that could easily be the difference between winning and losing.
Hi infiniti. that's an amazing guide. i have a few questions though.
why didnt you consider la junta as one of the best decks in t2? it seems a lot are using them.
what's the best number of stars for std and ext tournament? 31* can be paired with decks up to 41* hence greater possibility of maxing out the points for winning with fewer stars. but the downside is, it's much harder to win. while 30* could only be paired up to 35*, greater win percentage but lower possiblity of pairing with a higher star count.