We'd like to discuss the ELO system with you.
Over time, this particular game mode has undergone several changes that have largely proved to be successful. So this is where we are currently at:
- We’ve reached the point where there are almost 1,000 cards available in the format and in which "optimized" decks exist by mixing up clans. It would seem that "historic" cards (ones that are several years’ old) have an unchallenged place in decks that work well in ELO and, as a result, are greatly limiting the emergence of new deck types.
- The format has dramatically improved with the arrival of new clans and particularly new cards which mean that decks can be significantly improved (it is now possible to produce a proficient deck from each clan). By this, we’re not referring to stomp decks used to race to the top of the rankings, but rather to decks that work well in the ELO mode.
- More effective cards per clan also means greater possibilities of monoclan domination.
Our current aim is to give the ELO mode room to expand and evolve by adding a criterion to staff bans.
So this is what we propose to breathe new life into the ELO mode:
The age of cards will become an important factor in what we decide to ban from the ELO mode. The older a card is, the more it runs the risk of being banned. This will enable us to dislodge certain cards that have become fixtures in ELO decks and, in doing so, make way for new cards to emerge.
We will select between 0 and 4 cards per clan (at each wave of bans) which we can ban based on this criterion.
For example, let’s take a look at an All Stars deck that is currently very effective in ELO. Marina (2007), Jessie (2008 ) and Randy (2008 ) very often have a place in their star category. If we ban Marina and Randy, Nathan might find his place or would at least have the chance of doing so. In the same way, the presence of Uranus partly prevents the creation of a new reducer for the Sakrohm clan because of his dominance. Several cards may not seem worth considering because of their direct competition within the clan. However, we believe they could provide interesting alternatives (I'm thinking here of Leviatonn VS Klawz or Stalfhaust).
This new criterion of play would allow us to better manage the game's evolution. We would fix dates for new bans every X months, of course taking the time to first discuss this with the community, as we did with the last wave of bans.
Banned "historic" cards would then be definitively expelled from the ELO mode.
In short this new system would allow us to:
- Refresh the ELO mode on a regular basis by providing genuine renewal to the metagame.
- Give new character cards a chance to make their mark on the game mode.
- Allow new deck types to emerge by combining the various clans without having to play/challenge certain unavoidable cards (by getting rid of “historic” cards, players would have more scope for creativity).
- Reduce the power of monoclans in the game mode.
Initially, each clan would not be affected in the same way but over time a real change in the mode’s playstyle could emerge.
Ultimately we feel these suggested changes will provide ELO devotees with yet more scope for discovery and enjoyment.
These are our proposals. We very much look forward to hearing any comments or suggestions you may have on them.
edited by Espectroscuro monday 23/09/2013, 16:32
If you ban cards because of their age and because they are played all the time, then a bunch of new cards will be played all the time...you will only end up with the same issue, but with different cards.
A ban rotation of some sort maybe? Nobody wants our favorite cards perma-banned for such a silly reason. Lots of others have said it already, we want ELO bans to be based on the card's strength and nothing else.
I'm all up for a discussion about temporary bans, if you want to go that way.
Lol banning old cards just makes it elo- standard. And some old cards are just staples of each clan.
I say make temporary banned cards every month so you can at least avail a wide ranged decks instead of banning old cards permanently.
I think some people are misreading this. All old cards aren't instant ban, but the older that card is in addition to the levels of how op it is will get banned. If they were going to ban all old cards minus as well make elo standard mode only instead changing the whole banning system. Charlie for example is a very old card, but isn't exactly the most op card around. she will probably be added to a potent ban list as a part of their select 0-4 staff ban per clan and they will decide is she deserves a ban from there. Judging by announcement we can look forward to shorter staff ban periods. Old cards that were powerful to an extent but not op like kolos or spike will probably be added to this sort of potential ban list increasing the chances of them being banned in the new system vs their chances in the previous system, but not guaranteeing a ban just a higher chance to be banned.
This is a fair thing especially since some cards aren't the easy to come by for new players with bottom bin cards so they don't get knocked out by players using the same decks for the last 5 years who have a higher advantage when they have a card like Edd CR and jay floating around, but most new players use the cheap free common cards to play with or buy other cards in the 500-2000 range.