We'd like to discuss the ELO system with you.
Over time, this particular game mode has undergone several changes that have largely proved to be successful. So this is where we are currently at:
- We’ve reached the point where there are almost 1,000 cards available in the format and in which "optimized" decks exist by mixing up clans. It would seem that "historic" cards (ones that are several years’ old) have an unchallenged place in decks that work well in ELO and, as a result, are greatly limiting the emergence of new deck types.
- The format has dramatically improved with the arrival of new clans and particularly new cards which mean that decks can be significantly improved (it is now possible to produce a proficient deck from each clan). By this, we’re not referring to stomp decks used to race to the top of the rankings, but rather to decks that work well in the ELO mode.
- More effective cards per clan also means greater possibilities of monoclan domination.
Our current aim is to give the ELO mode room to expand and evolve by adding a criterion to staff bans.
So this is what we propose to breathe new life into the ELO mode:
The age of cards will become an important factor in what we decide to ban from the ELO mode. The older a card is, the more it runs the risk of being banned. This will enable us to dislodge certain cards that have become fixtures in ELO decks and, in doing so, make way for new cards to emerge.
We will select between 0 and 4 cards per clan (at each wave of bans) which we can ban based on this criterion.
For example, let’s take a look at an All Stars deck that is currently very effective in ELO. Marina (2007), Jessie (2008 ) and Randy (2008 ) very often have a place in their star category. If we ban Marina and Randy, Nathan might find his place or would at least have the chance of doing so. In the same way, the presence of Uranus partly prevents the creation of a new reducer for the Sakrohm clan because of his dominance. Several cards may not seem worth considering because of their direct competition within the clan. However, we believe they could provide interesting alternatives (I'm thinking here of Leviatonn VS Klawz or Stalfhaust).
This new criterion of play would allow us to better manage the game's evolution. We would fix dates for new bans every X months, of course taking the time to first discuss this with the community, as we did with the last wave of bans.
Banned "historic" cards would then be definitively expelled from the ELO mode.
In short this new system would allow us to:
- Refresh the ELO mode on a regular basis by providing genuine renewal to the metagame.
- Give new character cards a chance to make their mark on the game mode.
- Allow new deck types to emerge by combining the various clans without having to play/challenge certain unavoidable cards (by getting rid of “historic” cards, players would have more scope for creativity).
- Reduce the power of monoclans in the game mode.
Initially, each clan would not be affected in the same way but over time a real change in the mode’s playstyle could emerge.
Ultimately we feel these suggested changes will provide ELO devotees with yet more scope for discovery and enjoyment.
These are our proposals. We very much look forward to hearing any comments or suggestions you may have on them.
edited by Espectroscuro monday 23/09/2013, 16:32
Bring back the theme bans
And if you truly want to change something about elo, please change the distribution of the CR prizes. There is nothing I see worse as someone who came 20th+ place and winning 1st CR.
edited by Infiniti tuesday 24/09/2013, 20:54
TBN_DarKo - Titan - The Bitter Nightmare
Yesterday at 02:09
Elo solution is always ban cards, do you really think this is the best solution? i dont think so, just give to the cards elo points.
¿what means elo points? look this images:
imagine that all the players begins with 1000 elo points and they must do a deck usin only the 1000 elo points and the 25 stars.
What we obtain with this?
1- we can use all the cards ( obviusly no the permanently banned characters)
2 -That in the same deck could not exist nevermore of 2 good cards and only 1 very good card since if you want to put Rolph and Striker in the same deck (and I base on the images) you cant because Rolph is 500 points and Striker 450 if the limit are 1000 - 950 (sum of Rolph and Striker) only remaining 50 available points.
3- A level 80 and one level 15 are in equality of conditions
4- More strategy since beside squaring 25 stars you have to do it without overcomes 1000 elo points, therefore variety of strategies
5-We give more use to all the cards